Windows 10: Sort within folders

Discus and support Sort within folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 anniversary version. When I sort "by date" within a folder that contains many subfolders, the sub folders are all at the top and I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Curious, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Curious Win User

Sort within folders

Windows 10 anniversary version.

When I sort "by date" within a folder that contains many subfolders, the sub folders are all at the top and I need to scroll down quite a bit before I come to the most recent file - which is what I really want to find. That's a nuisance.

Is there a way to sort by file date so that the most recent files are at the top instead of the subfolders?

Thanks.

:)

Curious, Oct 23, 2016

2. How can I organize my Favorites in Win 10? .

I am using Windows 10, which means I am using Edge. I upgraded from Win7, IE, and on IE had created many Favorites folders and sorted by subject within a folder, as well as sorted by order of interest to me within a folder.

I don't want to sort alphabetically within Edge. And I want to be able to create new folders and save new saves to Favorites to various folders.

notanewbie_882, Oct 23, 2016
  3. Favourites Folders -alphabetical sorting within each Folder

Hi Neil,

Let me provide you now the steps on how to to sort your folders in alphabetical order.

This method will allow you to arrange your favorites by alphabetical or by their numbers.

Here are the steps:

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click on Favorites.
    • Right-click on Favorites Bar.
    • Right-click on the Favorites folder.
    • Click on Sort by, then select Name and
      Ascending

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Oct 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Sort within folders

Hi click the column header again and you'll see files from most recent downwards.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
  5. XweAponX Win User
    Yep, you can click on "date" in the results window and it will cycle "ascending" and "descending", when I am looking for a file from a specific date I do this. Also, if you know the first letter of the filename you are looking for, you can put the cursor on the first item in an alphabetically sorted list, then press the key corresponding with the first letter in the filename, and it will bring you to the general area. That for me has always been the fastest search method. But when I can't recall the exact name, I always DO recall when I got the file, and this method works very well.

XweAponX, Oct 23, 2016
  6. Curious Win User
    Is there a setting to permanently avoid having to cycle through the date sort that puts the folders at the top? I don't think that was the default sort order in 8.1.

Curious, Oct 24, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User
    Sorry, but File Explorer has always bunched folders together by Date modified. All other types are mixed together. Only choice is whether to show most recent folders at top or bottom of list.

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sort within folders

1. Sort within folders - Similar Threads - Sort within folders

2. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them: Hi I have a whole bunch of folders with a unique identifier and I'm looking to simply identify or sort the folders by the youngest age of the content, i.e the date with which the most recent file was created within that folder...Unfortunately due to a merge, all the folders...
  3. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them: Hi I have a whole bunch of folders with a unique identifier and I'm looking to simply identify or sort the folders by the youngest age of the content, i.e the date with which the most recent file was created within that folder...Unfortunately due to a merge, all the folders...
  4. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Automatic sorting within a folder on Desktop

Automatic sorting within a folder on Desktop: Changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I've found a weird feature: the automatic sorting of subfolders within the Desktop folders is missed.While in all the other folders I can add a subfolder or change a subfolder name, and the subfolder goes automatically in the correct...
  6. Sorting files within folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting files within folders: Hi, how to permanently add an option to be able to sort "by type" and also "by dimension" inside all folders? submitted by /u/DarkGladir [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mq6hhf/sorting_files_within_folders/
  7. How to sort folders within other folders in file explorer without ripping my head off??

How to sort folders within other folders in file explorer without ripping my head off??: I don't know much about computers but I will try to be clear as possible. I need empty folders in a specific order before I start working on them and files explorer kept making it alphabetically ordered. I read something about turning "Auto Arrange" off but I did not have...
  8. desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder: Through transferring data from one computer to another, I've ended up with multiple desktop folders inside of the desktop folder inside of file explorer. Combining those folders seems to be a bit of a task and one drive seems complicate this issue. 171578
  9. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  10. Sort FOLDERS

Sort FOLDERS: Hi everyone !!! a very good day to U. so I wanted to sort out my files and folders, where I found out that there is no way to sort my FOLDERS(!). with files like pics or docs it was very easy.I even added tags to some of my pics so that i can sort them according to my...