Windows 10: Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time

Discus and support Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have tried these and they don't work properly: date modified, date created, date acquired. Also I have reset grouping to None which didn't help.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/n0tsm4rt, May 21, 2020.

1. Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time

I have tried these and they don't work properly: date modified, date created, date acquired.

Also I have reset grouping to None which didn't help.

Windows 10 Home, 1909.

submitted by /u/n0tsm4rt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/n0tsm4rt, May 21, 2020
  2. Graeme.P Win User

Sort by date added to folder

Hi there, thanks for your question.

In File Explorer, all sorting options can be viewed by following these steps:

- Open the folder and right click inside of it, not on a file.

- Go to Sort by > More.

This brings up a list of all possibilities of what to sort by. It doesn't look like there's an options for "date added to folder", but one of the other Date options may help, such as Date Created. You could create a copy of the file and move it in, so that
    the date created matches the date added to the folder?

Please let me know if you need more information! Thanks!

Graeme.P, May 21, 2020
  3. Sort by date added to folder

Sorry - it seems I'm not explaining myself well. I know I can add different columns, what I do not know is if there is a column that will allow you to sort by date added.

What I mean by that is:

Lets say that at 9am this morning I added the file cats.jpg to a folder that is full of pictures. Then at 3pm I added the file dogs.jpg. I now want to sort the folder by the date that the file was added. So it would list first dogs.jpg, then cats.jpg
    and on through all the files. Note this is when added, rather than when created/modified/last accessed.

I've tried lots of different columns with date in them, and none of them seem to be doing what I need. I'm not sure if I'm missing something (because responses to this question suggest it can be done), or if it's actually not possible to know when a file
    was added to a folder (as opposed to created).

Mem_123412, May 21, 2020
  4. Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time

- Retaining Sort Order in File Explorer:

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me assist you on your issue regarding Windows 10.

"it takes a LONG time for the software to rescan the folder and re-order", which software are you using to rescan and re-order the folder?

You may follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the drop box folder in file explorer which needs to be sorted.

2. Click on the view tab in the file ribbon.

3. Now select the sort by option.

4. Select the "date created" option and also select descending order.

5. By select these two options the most recent(new) files will be displayed in the top separated by most recent(new) folders.

Note: The above steps are for drop box folder only, if you want to sort the other folder similarly please follow the above steps.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, May 21, 2020
Thema:

Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time

1. Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time - Similar Threads - Sorting files Download

2. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  3. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  4. How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...: When File Explorer opens a folder, it sorts all folders and files inside in an order according to the settings of that folder. How to get the list of all folders and files or at least of files only sorted in the same order? Not meaning just to look the list in the interface...
  5. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  6. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  7. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. File Explorer Sort Order

File Explorer Sort Order: Question regarding sort order for File Explorer in Windows 10: The sort order changes with updates at times. My sort order preference is to show file folders alphabetically first and then files sorted either by date modified or alphabetically, depending on the search. What's...
  9. downloads folder sort order won't change

downloads folder sort order won't change: Hi everyone, I just took the latest Windows 10 update on Tuesday, and suddenly my downloads folder isn't sorted the way I want. It appears the default is to sort by name in ascending order, and it looks like that's how it's selected to display, however it's still sorting...
  10. Sort by date added to folder

Sort by date added to folder: I would like to sort by date added to a folder. None of the date options seem able to recognise when something was added to a folder. Is this possible? This question has been asked many times - but I couldn't find an answer that was current....