Windows 10: Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename

Discus and support Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename. See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KevinBligh, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename

Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename.

See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.

File0001

File0001A

File0002

File0002A

File0003

File0001A

:)

KevinBligh, Nov 28, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Nov 28, 2020
  3. JeffCL Win User
    Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Nov 28, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename

dalchina, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename

1. Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename - Similar Threads - Sorting Files within

2. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  3. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  4. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is There a way to sort files by the last character?: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename.See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.File0001File0001AFile0002File0002AFile0003File0001ABelow is an actual example of the video file names i want to search. there are...
  5. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a way to sort files by the last character?: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename.See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.File0001File0001AFile0002File0002AFile0003File0001ABelow is an actual example of the video file names i want to search. there are...
  6. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Sorting files within folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting files within folders: Hi, how to permanently add an option to be able to sort "by type" and also "by dimension" inside all folders? submitted by /u/DarkGladir [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mq6hhf/sorting_files_within_folders/
  8. Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10: The way windows order filenames in the file explorer is beyond me. I understand that it tries to be "intelligent", ordering, for instance and by default, 111.txt after 22.txt, which sounds dummy for CS people, but ok, I get it. I also understand that you can change its...
  9. File Explorer Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the last few characters in a FileName