Windows 10: Sorting files within folders

Discus and support Sorting files within folders in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, how to permanently add an option to be able to sort "by type" and also "by dimension" inside all folders? submitted by /u/DarkGladir [link]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DarkGladir, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Sorting files within folders

Hi, how to permanently add an option to be able to sort "by type" and also "by dimension" inside all folders?

submitted by /u/DarkGladir
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DarkGladir, Apr 13, 2021

2. sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

Sorting files within folders ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Apr 13, 2021
  3. Jose Est Win User
    How to desegregate Folders/Files in File Explorer Sort By Functions?

Hi,

Sorting the layout of each folder is really dependent on the user's preference, that is why Windows has a variety of ways of sorting files and folders.

To sort files and folders alphanumerically together, we can try grouping it by name.

To do this, follow the steps below:

• On the folder that you want to sort, click View.
    • Look for Group by and left-click on it.
    • Select Name.

Sorting files within folders d1b579c8-659a-4dff-8380-20a72d125af9.png

Let us know if you need anything else.

Jose Est, Apr 13, 2021
  4. cereberus Win User

Sorting files within folders

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

Sorting files within folders

1. Sorting files within folders - Similar Threads - Sorting files within

2. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them: Hi I have a whole bunch of folders with a unique identifier and I'm looking to simply identify or sort the folders by the youngest age of the content, i.e the date with which the most recent file was created within that folder...Unfortunately due to a merge, all the folders...
  3. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them: Hi I have a whole bunch of folders with a unique identifier and I'm looking to simply identify or sort the folders by the youngest age of the content, i.e the date with which the most recent file was created within that folder...Unfortunately due to a merge, all the folders...
  4. Sorting multiple folders by the date of the oldest or youngest file created within them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  6. Automatic sorting within a folder on Desktop

Automatic sorting within a folder on Desktop: Changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I've found a weird feature: the automatic sorting of subfolders within the Desktop folders is missed.While in all the other folders I can add a subfolder or change a subfolder name, and the subfolder goes automatically in the correct...
  7. Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename

Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename. See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last. File0001 File0001A File0002 File0002A File0003 File0001A...
  8. Files within Folder

Files within Folder: When transferring numbered files into a folder they were entered out of sequence. It there a way to move the files into sequence? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-within-folder/7a31db01-f717-4311-b6da-5c631a22b3c6"
  9. Sort within folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort within folders: Windows 10 anniversary version. When I sort "by date" within a folder that contains many subfolders, the sub folders are all at the top and I need to scroll down quite a bit before I come to the most recent file - which is what I really want to find. That's a nuisance....
  10. Sort Files in folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort Files in folders: Win 10 won't let me move photo files in a folder. Help please*Mad 51885

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer sort by name folders and files together