Windows 10: Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10

Discus and support Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The way windows order filenames in the file explorer is beyond me. I understand that it tries to be "intelligent", ordering, for instance and by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Luis RamadaPereira, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10

The way windows order filenames in the file explorer is beyond me.

I understand that it tries to be "intelligent", ordering, for instance and by default, 111.txt after 22.txt, which sounds dummy for CS people, but ok, I get it.

I also understand that you can change its behaviour in some obscure setting in group policies.

What I don't understand is why, regardless of what you specify in the group policies for numeric sorting, the sort order for these filenames comes out this way:

Assor0.0002203

Assor-0.006436

Assor0.0071446

Assor0.0071446

Assor-0.011695

I'm sure there is a very logical explanation, but what need does this fufill? Can't we just have an option that orders on whatever encoding is being used?

Thanks

:)

Luis RamadaPereira, Apr 8, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Windows 10 File Explorer Folder Sort Order

Why does File Explorer not remember sort preferences when I go into a key folder or library (like "Pictures" for example")?

After a boot I go into Pictures I sort it in "date modified". Next boot I go back in to "Pictures" in file explorer and its back in File/Folder name order. There is not one single person on earth that wants a large folder with lots of sub-folders sorted
    in filename / folder name order. And those that do are wrong. I don't need to point out this was sorted (pun intended) in Windows XP SP3. 4 OS's and 14 years later.....

Tenforo, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Tenforo Active Member

File Explorer Sort Order

Question regarding sort order for File Explorer in Windows 10: The sort order changes with updates at times. My sort order preference is to show file folders alphabetically first and then files sorted either by date modified or alphabetically, depending
    on the search. What's the best way to set that as the default?

Tenforo, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Tenforo Active Member
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Tenforo, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10

1. Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sorting order filenames

2. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  3. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  4. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  5. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  6. Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order: As stated above whenever i open a folder in file explorer it defaults back to sorting by name but before automatically resorting itself back to sorting by date, this happens everytime i open the folder, and wastes 5 or more seconds every time i navigate between folder be it...
  7. Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order

Windows File Explorer Keeps Resetting Sort order: As stated above whenever i open a folder in file explorer it defaults back to sorting by name but before automatically resorting itself back to sorting by date, this happens everytime i open the folder, and wastes 5 or more seconds every time i navigate between folder be it...
  8. Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename. See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last. File0001 File0001A File0002 File0002A File0003 File0001A...
  9. File Explorer Sort Order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sort Order: Question regarding sort order for File Explorer in Windows 10: The sort order changes with updates at times. My sort order preference is to show file folders alphabetically first and then files sorted either by date modified or alphabetically, depending on the search. What's...
  10. File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered: When I subdivide a video into segments, I end up with clip1.ext, clip2.ext, clip3.ext, clip4.ext, clip5.ext etc. When I move them to another folder, they appear there as clip5.ext, clip1.ext, clip2.ext, clip3.ext, clip4.ext If I click on the column heading, they appear as...