Windows 10: Sound adjustment icon

Discus and support Sound adjustment icon in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The icon on the task bar for sound adjustment does not open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ScottBrowning, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Sound adjustment icon

The icon on the task bar for sound adjustment does not open.

:)

ScottBrowning, Jun 15, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Streaming video, sound adjust automatically

Hi Dannowa12,

Corrupted or outdated drivers may be the possible reason why the sound adjusted automatically. To efficiently assist you, kindly answer the following questions below:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Does this happen only when streaming videos?

In the meantime, I suggest you follow these methods to troubleshoot your laptop:

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • Change View by from Category to Small Icons/Large Icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Select Hardware and Devices and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot sound problems.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 15, 2021
  3. Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted

Hello All,

I need help with an odd sound bug on my machine. I get an icon that appears on my desktop that pops up at random times after a restart. Sometimes its a few minutes, other times it appears after an hour or longer. I will provide a picture of the icon so you can see what it is. The problem is once it pops up, I can no longer adjust my sound and my sound is muted. The icon is particularly annoying because it cannot be minimized or closed so I have to navigate around it as it blocks access to menus on windows.

Here is the little bugger:

Sound adjustment icon [​IMG]

I contacted Microsoft after I ran their troubleshooting program and the rep told me to contact my Mobo manufacturer which is AS Rock. The rep at AS Rock told me to reinstall the driver from Realtek which I did. Here is the link they gave me:

Realtek HD Audio 2.82 driver download

When the updated driver did not work, ASRock told me to install a dedicated sound card like Soundblaster because my Motherboard\Build in driver for Realtek is not compatible with Windows 10.

I have been running Windows 10 for at least a year, maybe 2 and this popup has only appeared in the last 3 months. Here is a list of what I think is causing the popup. In no particular order.

1. One of the Windows 10 updates
    2. I installed the Windows 10 App that links my cell phone to my PC and then removed it as it was awful
    3. Some wacky spyware

Of the 3 suspects, #2 seems most plausible too me. I noticed that my cell phone at times would disable audio and whenever I tried to turn the audio up, my cell phone would reduce the audio until it was muted. I did connect my phone to my PC so who knows what garbage it unloaded on my PC. I have since removed the awful Windows 10 app and any references to my phone under Bluetooth devices. I believe I even ran some total clean up app to remove the Windows 10 Phone app.

I did go into Device Manager and I noticed that there are two instances of "High Definition Audio" under sound, video and game controllers. Here is a snapshot:

If I disable the second instance or uninstall it, the annoying pop up goes away. I cannot adjust my sounds however and when I try to adjust it, Windows launches the assistant to try to help my find a solution. There is no solution and I have to uninstall the 2nd instance and then do a restart. Sound is restored after the restart but eventually the pop up occurs and my sound is muted.

The details for either instance are the same under properties:

Anyone have any ideas?

I will buy a Sound Card if that is an easy fix. I guess if I use a dedicated sound card, I will be using a different driver than RealTek so potentially the problem will go away. At least that is my thinking.

I did try a restore but that did not help.

Here is information about my PC:

Thanks, Bill

bpatters69, Jun 15, 2021
  4. Sound adjustment icon

cant adjust sound using sound icon bottom right of screen. this happened right after updating to windows 10

Hi Char,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concerned. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to know what is the make and model of the computer?

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run sound audio troubleshooter, it will automatically detect the problem and fix it. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + R and click on
      Control Panel

• Click on View by: category and click on
      Small icon.

• Now click on troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on Playing Audio and Click on Next button.
    If the issue still persist, try the below method to uninstall/reinstall the sound adapter driver.

Method 2.

Step 1.

I suggest you to uninstall/reinstall the sound adapter driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager

• Now click on Sound, video and game controllers
      to expand, right click on the device and click on uninstall.

• Once you are done installing the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the sound adapter driver.
    If the issue still persist, try the below steps.

Step 2.

I suggest you to update the audio driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager
    • Now click on Sound, video and game controllers and right click on it and
      update the software.
    If the above methods did not help to fix the issue, try the below method.

Method 3.

I recommend you to go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest updated sound adapter driver for Windows 10 and install the same. If the available driver is not for Windows 10 try installing the driver in compatibility
    mode.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 15, 2021
Thema:

Sound adjustment icon

1. Sound adjustment icon - Similar Threads - Sound adjustment icon

2. Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted: Hello All, I need help with an odd sound bug on my machine. I get an icon that appears on my desktop that pops up at random times after a restart. Sometimes its a few minutes, other times it appears after an hour or longer. I will provide a picture of the icon so you can see...
  3. Sound issues -- adjustments?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound issues -- adjustments?: A friend of mine finds that his sound is uneven. If he plays, for example, a YouTube video, his sound might be perfector, annoyingly, too low and adjusting the volume to 100% still doesnt work well. Is there any other adjustment worth trying? (W10 Pro 20H2) Mel 171923
  4. Sound issues -- adjustments?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sound issues -- adjustments?: A friend of mine finds that his sound is uneven. If he plays, for example, a YouTube video, his sound might be perfector, annoyingly, too low and adjusting the volume to 100% still doesnt work well. Is there any other adjustment worth trying? (W10 Pro 20H2) Mel 171923
  5. Headphones auto adjustment sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones auto adjustment sound: Hello, I was trying to find solution for my issue, but i ended up here asking for help. i use Logitech headphones, with microphone on them The sound goes thru Realtek HD About the issue, when i connect headphones with microphone it works all good, but after some time,...
  6. Adjust sound volume scaling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adjust sound volume scaling: Okay how do I describe this. When I wear my headset I currently have to set the system sound volume to 4 in order to not blow my eardrums, but that leaves me with only 4 levels between no sound and my ears start to bleed. What I've been wondering is if there is a way to set...
  7. Icons adjustment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons adjustment: In simpler words I need desktop icon size smaller and they looks bulky and their text size is also large. Is it related to my resolution ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-adjustment/e1f78d58-82cf-4c07-842e-f9a2a884a128
  8. Sound adjustment

Sound adjustment: How to adjust treble & bass sounds mixer. Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-adjustment/1735b9ea-579b-4524-81b4-7c7c75c0fdd2
  9. Application Sounds Adjusting By Themselves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application Sounds Adjusting By Themselves: This is going to be a question with some background information... I have a Logitech wireless headset and I run my gaming though there but still have music and system sounds coming through the main speakers. The main game I play is WoW and, in the in game settings, have...
  10. Change Sound adjustment accuracy

Change Sound adjustment accuracy: how to change sound adjustment accuracy to 1percent instead of 2? (2 percents is by default) when adjusting sound with mouse weel or keyboard shortkeys it always only change sound by 2 percents so I can't adjust sound to 1% with either of these. Yes, I am able to change...