Windows 10: Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question

Discus and support Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey folks - My "search-fu" is a bit weak on this one and I haven't been able to find out whether someone else has seen and/or fixed this problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jasonvp, Nov 20, 2018.

1. jasonvp Win User

Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question

Hey folks -

My "search-fu" is a bit weak on this one and I haven't been able to find out whether someone else has seen and/or fixed this problem. First thing: I have multiple sound playback devices via a single USB connection into a mixer. It's 16 stereo playback devices and 16 stereo recording/line-in devices. All good. Those work fine.

In the "Sound Settings --> App volume and device preferences" window, I have various applications set to use different playback devices via the aforementioned USB connection. When I make the change in the Settings window, all is good. The application (eg: Chrome) instantly starts using the configured device. If I quit the app and restart it sometime later, it begins playing its sound over the Default sound device. Even though the Settings window still shows it attached to a different playback device. I have to change it, and change it again, and it begins playing over the correct device.

It's like Windows is forgetting that I've got the app assigned to device XYZ vs the default.

Is there some interesting work-around/fix for this?

OS is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, 1809.

Thanks!

:)

jasonvp, Nov 20, 2018

2. Sound sources not showing up in volume mixer / app volume controls setting main volume

Hello again,

I am still having the same issue. Here are the steps I have taken so far:

* Tried windows media player. Result: it works as expected, generating its own entry in the volume mixer.

* Tried updating the sound drivers in device manager. Result: they were already the latest ones.

* Uninstalled the sound device and drivers in device manager and then reinstalled the drivers on reboot. After reboot, I again checked the driver status, but it the latest had been reinstalled.

* Tested the netflix app, netflix in edge browser, amazon video in edge browser. Result: As before, there is no separate entry in the volume mixer, and the app's volume slider only affects the master volume of the sound device.

Did I miss any suggestions?

LeslieCMiller, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Volume

Hi,

An outdated sound card driver may be causing this issue with your volume settings. In order for us to effectively assist you with your concern, we just have a few questions:

• Aside from the Windows Update, were there any other changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you tried restarting your computer after the Update?

Meanwhile, you may temporarily adjust your computer volume by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Volume and hit Enter.
    • You can then choose whether to adjust your Speakers,
      System
      Sounds, or browser volume.

Moreover, we recommend updating your device drivers by following these steps:

• Click Start, type Device Manager and hit
      Enter.
    • Expand the Sound, video and game controllers'
      category to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver.
    • Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    • If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

Furthermore, we suggest running the audio troubleshooter to find and resolve audio problems automatically.

Let us know if you need any other assistance.

Regards.

Darian Tab, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Sound and Playback Devices

Hi,

To further isolate the issue, please provide the details these following questions:

• Have you updated your driver? If you did, where did get the updates?

• Have you check the properties of your device in device manager? Kindly post a screenshot of the status in of the
      drivers in device manager.

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

You can try to run the
    Playing Audio
    and
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    to do an automated fix on this matter. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

Playing Audio:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Chose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on
      Playing Audio
      to run the troubleshooter

Hardware and Devices:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Chose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on
      Hardware and Devices.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question - Similar Threads - Sound App Volume

2. APP Volume and Device Preferences not staying

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    APP Volume and Device Preferences not staying: When I go to my advanced sound options and set my output devices to something other than default, when I restart my PC it switches them all back to default. How can I get them to be persistent and stay on the outputs I have designated them to? submitted by...
  3. App volume and device preferences not saving

in Windows 10 Customization
    App volume and device preferences not saving: When I amend a volume in the "App Volume and Device Prefences" it is not 'holding'. In other words..I set it at 50% for Audacity, then when I next reopen audacity it has reverted to 100%. What can I do. Windows 10....
  4. Access to Sound Slider in App Volume and Device Preferences Screen

Access to Sound Slider in App Volume and Device Preferences Screen: I use an app in Windows 10 named WSJT-X. This is an app for ham radio operators to communicate digitally and uses my sound card to generate a series of tones. However, after using this app for some time, I'm not getting the proper output anymore. I opened up the App volume...
  5. App volume and device preferences

App volume and device preferences: [ATTACH] For some reason, I didn't have any sound. So, I tried updating the driver, uninstalling it then updating, rollback the driver. I went to services and made sure Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder were running. I even refresh them and everything. So, I...
  6. App volume and device preferences

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App volume and device preferences: https://i.imgur.com/E7kKZT4.png For some reason, I didn't have any sound. So, I tried updating the driver, uninstalling it then updating, rollback the driver. I went to services and made sure Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder were running. I even refresh them...
  7. App volume device preferences assistance

App volume device preferences assistance: Hi, I have a custom app that I would like to configure to have a unique sound profile, especially regarding Popup windows that occur within the app itself. My way to try to explore how to do this is to use the new feature Window 10 1803 April 2019. The screenshot below...
  8. Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences: My Windows version is given as Windows 10 - Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.765). Two days ago (May 14), after installing several updates via Windows Update, my system sound stopped working. I can't get any sound from either the built-in speakers or through earphones. In...
  9. App Volume and Device Preferences Not Working

App Volume and Device Preferences Not Working: I only found out about this feature a few days ago and decided to tweak a few things within it, nothing major. Though now when I go back to make additional changes, it only shows up briefly without list any apps and then immediately closes. Any idea what this might be?...
  10. Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question: Hey folks - My "search-fu" is a bit weak on this one and I haven't been able to find out whether someone else has seen and/or fixed this problem. First thing: I have multiple sound playback devices via a single USB connection into a mixer. It's 16 stereo playback devices and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 app volume preferences no apps listed

2. app volume and devices

3. app volume and device preferences not showing

4. app volume device preferences,
  5. app volume and device preferences windows 10,
  6. app volume and device preferences wont allow selection of device