Windows 10: Sound card not seen in 32 bit upgrade, seen in 64 bit clean install

Discus and support Sound card not seen in 32 bit upgrade, seen in 64 bit clean install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, after I upgraded from Win 8.1, 1. Ashampoo programs would not find my (Conexant SmartAudio 221) sound card - Ashampoo looking into this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dalchina, Nov 3, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Sound card not seen in 32 bit upgrade, seen in 64 bit clean install

Hi, after I upgraded from Win 8.1,
    1. Ashampoo programs would not find my (Conexant SmartAudio 221) sound card
    - Ashampoo looking into this promising a fix after diagnostics - but for weeks now.
    2. Audacity would not run beyond v 2.03 (which is reported by others on their forum).

That was 32 bits.

I tried a clean install, 64 bits, and to my surprise, no problem with Ashampoo progs or Audacity 2.1.1.

I'll be using my 32 bit installation whilst I slowly configure the 64 bit version for quite a while.

Other than clean booting, and trying to identify possible conflicts, is there any more specific area I could look at?
    I have quite a lot of multimedia programs installed.
    Thanks.

:)

dalchina, Nov 3, 2015

2. upgrade to 4GB RAM and want to switch to 64 bit version

You didn't upgrade from Win10 32-bit to Win10 64-bit, you did a clean install of Win10 64-bit. As such, you'll need to do a clean install of Win10 32-bit. Whether you'll be able to do so & activate remains to be seen.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 3, 2015
  3. fje000 Win User
    Is it possible to switch architecture from 32 to 64?

I have Win8.1 32 bit. Can I upgrade to win 10 64 bit?

I know that the free upgrade does not support switching architectures, but answers in this forum go on to say that switching architectures is supported from a custom install when booted from install media. What does this mean exactly?

I have seen it clarified that the free upgrade is not supported from a clean install ... at first. But after the initial free upgrade install (and activation), then clean install is supported.

So therefore, after the initial free update install (from win8.1 32 bit to win10 32 bit) and activation, can a clean install be done from win10 32 bit to win10 64bit using install media AND maintain the activation?

fje000, Nov 3, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

I would try asking Ashampoo, if they made any progress or if they needed more information to help you.

For the multimedia programs, just try, if they are working or if they are not. Should one program not be working for you, it might also be helpful to google them to see, if they are working for others and if so, how they made them work.

Joergi, Nov 3, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks, it's been weeks- months- since I raised this with Ashampoo and I ran several diagnostic programs they sent me.
    All other ( and I have a good many) programs have no problems with sound - Aiseesoft to Zoom Player.

So I'm curious to know what diagnostic action I might take (beside a clean boot) to identify
    - whether sthg is interfering (another driver e.g.)
    - or whether it's a 32 bit issue alone

Note: I've tried exactly the same installer for one Ashampoo program for 64 bit OS as used originally on Win 8.1 for the 32 bit installation.

dalchina, Nov 3, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Possible cause: the audio driver was deemed old from Windows Setup and changing it to a generic driver that wasn't 100% compatible caused the issue. That is for the 32-bit upgrade. In 64-bit, there was no driver installed and the one used by Windows just worked. Try updating/reinstalling the audio driver in 32-bit and it should work. Also try to reinstall Ashampoo.

spapakons, Nov 3, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks, but the driver is exactly the same (v4.58.1 2008) version in both cases. There is no later available driver- Conexant HD Smart Audio 221. (The laptop originally came with Vista).
    Win 10 hasn't done anything clever or unexpected with the sound card driver.
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Ashampoo software (32 bits) - even a later version. 3 programs affected.

So I'm left with (in the 32 bit case)
    a. some conflict - it was an upgrade, lots installed
    or
    b. some difference between 32 bit and 64 bit operation

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sound card not seen in 32 bit upgrade, seen in 64 bit clean install - Similar Threads - Sound card bit

2. 32 bit 64 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    32 bit 64 upgrade: I have win 10 32 bit and with digital key.if I want to upgrade 62 bit can i use same key kindly update me and win 10 os iso image can intall https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-64-upgrade/2fe54bae-7ce1-493e-bedd-ec2da8b3dd48
  3. 32 bit 64 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32 bit 64 upgrade: I have win 10 32 bit and with digital key.if I want to upgrade 62 bit can i use same key kindly update me and win 10 os iso image can intall https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-64-upgrade/2fe54bae-7ce1-493e-bedd-ec2da8b3dd48
  4. 32 bit 64 upgrade

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. Upgrading 32 bit to 64 bit on HP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading 32 bit to 64 bit on HP: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Pro 32 bit to Windows 10 Home 64 bit Clean Install. I have 2 GB Ram in a s3301F Slimline HP Desktop. I know it says it in the specs but I'm just confriming. I had to upgrade My Studio PC to 64 bit, my Laptop to Windows 10 64 bit from...
  6. upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit

upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit: First of I want to say, my pc is compatible; g3220 32bit on x64 based processor 4gb ram intel hd graphics 500gb HDD I want to upgrade for the reason of app compatibility, and I had 32-bit because I had 2gb ram. Right now I have Windows 10 32-bit. The problem is I...
  7. 32 to 64 bit upgrade

32 to 64 bit upgrade: A game that I use often has advised me that it no longer supports a 32 bit operating system and I should convert to 64 bit. My PC will support a 64 bit OS so I decided to upgrade. I used the Microsoft tool to produce a Windows 10 64 bit ISO flash drive and booted from that...
  8. upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit

upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit: So I wasn't paying attention to much about my computers processor, I assumed it was old and could only run 32 bit programs and os. I was wrong its it suppose to be running 64 bit. My question is that I already installed 32 bit windows 10 and I want to find the easiest way and...
  9. Upgrading Win10 32 bit to 64 bit

Upgrading Win10 32 bit to 64 bit: I can't seem to upgrade my Win10 Pro from 32 bit to 64 bit and even though I have a 64 bit processor. It goes through all the setup, but when finally completed, it still has the 32 bit OS only. I used the media creation tool made from my present running 32 bit system and...
  10. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318