Windows 10: Sound - Communication resets after December patch

Discus and support Sound - Communication resets after December patch in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, on the 12th December 2018 I got the new feature Update version 1809. All feature updates usually reset or overwrite some of my custom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vessko, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Vessko Win User

Sound - Communication resets after December patch

Hi all,

on the 12th December 2018 I got the new feature Update version 1809.

All feature updates usually reset or overwrite some of my custom settings and I usually have to turn off "fast startup" and make sure via registry that Windows doesn't automatically clear my thumbnail cache every 2 weeks or so; quality updates don't mess with my settings.

After this feature update, it wiped my history of updates and 4 quality updates got installed after that.

Sadly, this time around something went wrong, as now, every time someone calls me on Skype, all sound gets pretty quiet (gets lowered by 80% I guess). When I go to "Control Panel" -> "Sound" and on the "Communications" tab, the "Do nothing" is already selected. When I click on any of the 3 other options, click apply, then go on "Do nothing" again and click apply, only then do I hear my computer sound while I am on Skype which is what I want.

If I finish a call and get a new call, this time everything is fine and Windows "does nothing", this however only lasts until I shut down my computer. After that, the whole story starts from the beginning: on the 1st call, my sound gets lowered by 80% although again "Do nothing" is selected by default.

So the issue I assume is, Windows remembers my choice of "Do nothing" and falsely associates it with "Reduce the volume of other sound by 80%" every time I start my computer.

I would appreciate it if someone can give me an advice how I can fix this through some other settings or the registry, because unlike all other people who complain that their Windows breaks after every Update, I never had any major problems and was quite happy until now.

Thank you for the help in advance!

:)

Vessko, Dec 28, 2018
  2. RadeRad Win User

Windows 10 - Sound stopped working after KB3093266 patch install.

Hello,

Let me prefix this with - I genuinely like Windows 10.

I successfully upgraded to Windows 10 when the upgrade came available in mid-Summer, but after Cumulative patch KB3093266 was installed on 10/1/2015, my speakers stopped working following the reboot.

• My PC is a Mac MINI, Win10 is on a Boot Camp partition, and has been functional for quite some time.
      • I like the small form-factor of the hardware / hate the Mac OS.
      • The underlying Mac OS is up to date on patches.
    • The speakers are USB-powered
      • When I boot on OS-X, the speakers work fine.
      • When I boot on Windows 10, no sound (though there is an occasional blip of static if I unplug / plug in the speakers - meaning the speakers are getting the USB power just fine)
    • I backed out the security patch, rebooted, the sound did not recover (community recommendation).
    • I modified the memory size, the sound did not recover (community recommendation).
    • I disabled / uninstalled the sound drivers for my speakers and re-enabled / downloaded fresh drivers, no recovery (community recommendation).
    • I have been trying to create a new system backup, but interestingly, that has also stopped working.
    There are over 10 pages of blogs on this community related to sound problems; many related to post Win10 upgrades and/or laptops. One or two are similar (I followed the problem determination steps in each to no avail).

It's as if there is some disconnect between what is generating the sound and what is playing the sound.

The final option is a complete restore of this partition, but then I will lose the applications I have installed, and that is just a non-starter for me at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have exhausted my Problem Determination skills short of a complete rebuild.

Thank you,

Rade

RadeRad, Dec 28, 2018
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Sound - Communication resets after December patch :p

cadaveca, Dec 28, 2018
  4. Sound - Communication resets after December patch

I got no sound microsoft or horrible sound

Hi Roger,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things.

• What happens exactly when you try to play the sound?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows updates?

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow below steps and check.

Step 1: I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Step 2: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

Sound - Communication resets after December patch

1. Sound - Communication resets after December patch - Similar Threads - Sound Communication resets

2. Sound lost after resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound lost after resetting: I reset my computer in window 11 and now my sound and microphone are gone. Before reseting the computer, there used to be a CODEC sound system but I tried to press over it on device manager and it deleted itself. Is there anyway for me to recover sound? ;-;Even when I tried...
  3. Sound lost after resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound lost after resetting: I reset my computer in window 11 and now my sound and microphone are gone. Before reseting the computer, there used to be a CODEC sound system but I tried to press over it on device manager and it deleted itself. Is there anyway for me to recover sound? ;-;Even when I tried...
  4. Sound Not Working Properly After Reset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Not Working Properly After Reset: I just factory reset my laptop, and while the audio still works, it's not working properly. I have two sets of speakers, one in the back, and one underneath. I can only seem to get one or the other to work, instead of both at the same time. I'm honestly lost as to what to do....
  5. Sound settings - default communication device question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound settings - default communication device question: I have multiple audio devices connected to my computer - integrated sound card, HDMI monitors, a USB music recording interface, and USB gaming headset. I have monitoring speakers connected to the music interface Steinberg CI2 and use that as my default audio device, while I...
  6. Sound Gone After Windows Reset

Sound Gone After Windows Reset: I reset windows 10 (build 18362) installation on an old computer with Asus M5A78L-M LX motherboard. The files were kept, but all programs removed. After the reset the sound is not working. Without the manufacturer driver the speakers remain in unplugged state even when they...
  7. Realtek not communicating with Win 10 sound settings.

Realtek not communicating with Win 10 sound settings.: I have NTB, Acer Spin 5, 4 pin 3.5 mm jack audio plug in and built-in speakers. When I plug in my headset, My realtek interface asks me, which device I had plugged in. No matter, that I choose headset, my sound settings does not change neither does show another playback...
  8. Tethering after December 2019

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tethering after December 2019: Hi, I use a win 10 laptop tethering to a Lumia win 10 , version 1709 mobile. After December 2019 will it be secure to carry on tethering or should I buy a new mobile...
  9. Sound - Communication resets after December patch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound - Communication resets after December patch: Hi all, on the 12th December 2018 I got the new feature Update version 1809. All feature updates usually reset or overwrite some of my custom settings and I usually have to turn off "fast startup" and make sure via registry that Windows doesn't automatically clear my...
  10. Sound; communication; communication activity; reduce the volume of other sounds by 80% =...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound; communication; communication activity; reduce the volume of other sounds by 80% =...: To whom it may concern, using the latest Windows build 10, using the latest version of Skype, using Logitech gaming wireless headset. Using Skype quite heavily to make calls, like to have music playing in the background in between calls etc. for some reason for about six...