Windows 10: Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and...

Discus and support Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My 1.5 year-old, Dell laptop computer was working fine until 2 months ago. Since that time, it has tormented me. I work from home and need to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TammyNeedsHelp, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and...

My 1.5 year-old, Dell laptop computer was working fine until 2 months ago. Since that time, it has tormented me. I work from home and need to use Zoom.I have done a complete Windows reset twice. This time I did not reload any personal files and even waited a while just to install Office. I had already run the sound troubleshooting app and Dell diagnostics no issues were found. I have had two phone sessions with Dell. I have reinstalled the device driver several times. I have tried using headphones, which have the same issue. I have not opened Google Voice because I thought that might be

:)

TammyNeedsHelp, Dec 1, 2021
  2. Tjeros Win User

Volume Mixer not showing muted app

I do not have an audio problem in the context of "Audio is not playing". The problem is in the fact that Volume Mixer will not show a muted app. This issue has been around since Windows 7.

If you mute an application, it will not show up in Volume Mixer next time you start it. Is there any way I could find the settings for muted applications and change those to 'unmuted'?

Tjeros, Dec 1, 2021
  3. llinfeng Win User
    Windows 10 Volume Mixer fails to keep System Sounds muted over Remote Desktop Connection

The problem:

after having muted the System Sounds on the remote desktop machine, it shall unmute itself after several seconds. This pattern is persistent.

The physical setting:

I use my laptop at work, and use Remote Desktop Connection to access my desktop machine left in my apartment.

The software setting:

I have enabled Remote audio through the Remote Desktop Connection, and chose Remote audio playback --> Play on this computer. Thus, I get audio streaming on my laptop at work.

My attempt:

I have tried to find a way to mute System Volumes through a shortcut, and the following pages appears to be helpful:

1. HowToGeek suggested to create a shortcut with the following executable command:

“C:\Path\To\nircmd.exe” mutesysvolume 2
    2. The same source also points me to the shortcut for opening the Volume Mixer. %SystemRoot%\System32\SndVol.exe. Yet, I failed to find a stable way to mute System Sounds through AutoHotKey.

The problem for the suggested approach is that, on Windows 10, nircmd.exe no longer take the option "mutesysvolume 2" as designed. Instead of toggling the System Volumes, it is toggling the Device Volume. This is different from what the specs have suggested: NirCmd - Windows command line tool

llinfeng, Dec 1, 2021
  4. Tendows Win User

Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and...

Volume Mixer not showing muted app

The application was muted on Windows 10 with November update. Now I am using Anniversary update, on build 14393.10

The initial step did not help make Banished show up in the Volume Mixer, nor did the article.

Tendows, Dec 1, 2021
Thema:

Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and...

1. Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and... - Similar Threads - Sound constantly toggles

2. Laptop battery constantly toggle between plugged in and not charging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop battery constantly toggle between plugged in and not charging: The fix is impossible for my laptop as I cannot remove the battery as per and I don't want to break my laptop to remove the battery for a software fix.Could you please fix this issue in the latest windows patch? it's very frustrating for windows users and many people were...
  3. Volume mixer not muting applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume mixer not muting applications: When I want an app to not play any audio, I go to the volume mixer and set its volume to zero. However this is not muting the app anymore, and when backing out of and re-entering the volume mixer, the volume is set to somewhere lower than the previous setting, but not...
  4. Volume mixer not muting applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume mixer not muting applications: When I want an app to not play any audio, I go to the volume mixer and set its volume to zero. However this is not muting the app anymore, and when backing out of and re-entering the volume mixer, the volume is set to somewhere lower than the previous setting, but not...
  5. Volume icon shows Mute even when Sound is not on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Volume icon shows Mute even when Sound is not on Windows 11: [ATTACH]The volume icon shows the status or levels of sound on your PC. When you mute the volume, the icon shows muted symbol with a cross mark beside it. When it is not muted, we see the Volume icon with levels beside it. Some users are seeing, the volume icon muted even if...
  6. Mute Toggle Stuck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute Toggle Stuck: Hi,I have been trying to get the toggle to switch from mute, but to no avail. This is on an Alienware laptop with an external monitor via HDMI. When testing sound, laptop speakers get sound, but the monitor does not. Using the sound settings, I can see that the monitor is...
  7. Mute Toggle Stuck

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mute Toggle Stuck: Hi,I have been trying to get the toggle to switch from mute, but to no avail. This is on an Alienware laptop with an external monitor via HDMI. When testing sound, laptop speakers get sound, but the monitor does not. Using the sound settings, I can see that the monitor is...
  8. Mute Toggle Stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound constantly toggles between mute and on -- volume icon covers my applications and...: My 1.5 year-old, Dell laptop computer was working fine until 2 months ago. Since that time, it has tormented me. I work from home and need to use Zoom.I have done a complete Windows reset twice. This time I did not reload any personal files and even waited a while just to...
  10. Right Clicking Volume icon in icon tray "mutes" discord, zoom, and other applications.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Clicking Volume icon in icon tray "mutes" discord, zoom, and other applications.: I got a new headset, corsair virtuoso, and I constantly right click on the volume icon to get to the volume mixer to alter the sound of the games I'm playing. As soon as I right click on the volume icon discord stops outputting sound to my headset until I go into discord and...