Windows 10: Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices

Discus and support Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Yeah so this started happening, don't know what to do. It's not a device problem I can promise you that, it's something to do with my pc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nvthvns, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices

/u/nvthvns, Mar 27, 2021
  2. paulpv Win User

Disabling Audio input/output (Microphone/Speaker/etc) in Device Manager does not disable device in Sound Control Panel or stop audio...oh my!

In Windows 10 (1803 build 17134.228), I open both "Device Manager" (devmgmt.msc) and the "Sound Control Panel" (mmsys.cpl).

Both Device Manager and the Sound Control Panel show the same audio input/output devices.

ex: "Speakers" and "Microphone".

This is good!

In Device Manager, I disable "Speakers", which continues to show up and has an icon showing it is disabled.

In Sound Control Panel, "Speakers" still shows up and *is not disabled*!

When I play a sound through the [disabled in Device Manager] Speakers, I can still hear the audio!

This is horrible!

In Device Manager, I re-enable "Speakers".

In Sound Control Panel, I disable "Speakers".

In Device Manager, "Speakers" disappears as an Audio output device.

Audio correctly cannot be heard.

This is good!

In summary:

1. Why does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" not stop audio coming out of them?
    2. What does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" actually do?
    3. Why is disabling Speakers in Device Manager different than disabling Speakers in Sound Control Panel?

Now for the real meat: I am trying to disable/enable the Audio input/output device...

...the way that the Sound Control Panel does...

...but programmatically (PowerShell, C#, C...whatever works).

There are many of examples of how to disable/enable a device that involve "devcon.exe disable/enable", "Get-PnpDevice | Disable/Enable-PnpDevice", and "Get-Device | Disable/Enable-Device".

All of these result in the device being disabled in the Device Manager, and exhibiting the above undesirable behavior; the audio devices still show up in Sound Control Panel and are usable. Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices :(

I also have tried the Registry hack (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\{GUID} DeviceState=1 or 10000001), but that seems to be a cosmetic hack only and doesn't actually force close any open devices or prevent new opens.

So I'll add another question:

1. How can I programmatically disable/enable and audio device to have the same effect as doing it in Sound Control Panel?

And no; UI automation of the Sound Control Panel is not an acceptable answer.

I am looking for an actual API that can be called in the background, not a horrible UI hack that requires being in the foreground.

Thanks!

Pv

paulpv, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Re-enable audio device

Hi,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

• Are using speakers / head phones to listen to audio?
    If you have disabled the audio device, then you might not see it under the list of playback devices. I would suggest you to follow these steps to make sure you see the disabled devices:

• Open
        Control panel

• Click Hardware and Sound and then Click on
        Sounds.

• Under Playback tab, right click on the empty area and make sure
        “Show Disabled Devices” has a check mark on it. If headphones/Speakers are disabled, it will now show up in the list.

• Right click on the device and
        Enable it. Click OK.
    If the issue still persists, try enabling speakers automatically using steps below.

• Go to Settings> Click on themes> Advance sound settings> right click on the speakers or the audio device youo have connected > click on
      Configure device.

• Test the sound level you want, click Next.

• And configure the audio devices.

Hope this helps you. Do reply if you need further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Mar 27, 2021
  4. redant17 Win User

Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices

Disabled motherboard audio device disappears from sound configuration

Win 10 on a Gigabyte Z170X mobo. This board has Creative Soundblaster audio as well as the Intel chipset audio that goes out HDMI cable. Both were working but at some point the system sent some audio to the monitor instead of the Creative device which goes
    to external speakers.

So I selected "disable" on the two Intel audio devices (one for HDMI, one for display miniport). Instead of appearing "disabled" they simply disappeared from the sound configuration list. They remain in the Devices list and are listed as "enabled". But
    since they are no longer listed in the Control Panel sound configuration settings, I can't turn them back on. Rebooting made no difference: still listed as enabled devices, but still not present in Control Panel sound settings.

I'd like to get the Intel devices back so I have the option of using them. Any suggestions please?

Thanks very much.

redant17, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices

1. Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices - Similar Threads - Sound Control Panel

2. Re-enable a device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-enable a device: I disabled my laptop because I thought it would get rid if the microsoft authenticator but it didn't. I want to re-enable my laptop so I can do some homework https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-enable-a-device/4d66c633-d016-4e54-bdb3-73425b7eb240
  3. Re-enable a device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-enable a device: I disabled my laptop because I thought it would get rid if the microsoft authenticator but it didn't. I want to re-enable my laptop so I can do some homework https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-enable-a-device/4d66c633-d016-4e54-bdb3-73425b7eb240
  4. Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Control Panel Keeps Disabling and Re-enabling Devices: So this started happening, don't know what to do. It's not a device problem I can promise you that, it's something to do with my pc. https://www.reddit.com/link/me9avs/video/kyamph0yzip61/playerI have a Speaker and headphones connected. I use speakers when listening to...
  5. Batch script to disable/re-enable device in device manager.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Batch script to disable/re-enable device in device manager.: Hi all, my laptops touchscreen sometimes decides not to wake up after hibernating, and needs to be disabled and re-enabled through device manager to get it to work. Is there a batch script that I could use to do this, and just store it on the desktop for easy access?...
  6. Sound Control Panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound Control Panel: Ever since the new windows updates, Sound Control Panel , also known in the bottom right (from sounds - speaker) as Playback Devices / Recording Devices, this tab has been taken out and we were given some option not many care about (even if they do, a lot of people never...
  7. Control Panel Sounds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel Sounds: Device Disconnect makes a sound while computer is in sleep mode. How do I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-sounds/4c65c3d3-48e9-43c9-8531-bb29344b98a1
  8. Sound Control Panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Control Panel: Hi.Running a Windows 10 computer.Running headless using Remote Desktop.Only use the computer as a music server.Have a dac connected to computer.In sound panel under playback it's only option is Remote Audio.Dac and other options are not there.Right click to show disabled and...
  9. No sound, No Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    No sound, No Control Panel: Installed Win10 and have the following problems. 1) I have no sound; Sound icon on task bars says "No audio Output Device Installed." When I run troubleshooter, it says Troubleshooting couldn't detect the problem. 2) Control Panel: When I click on control panel it...
  10. Enable or Disable Control Panel and Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Control Panel and Settings in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Control Panel and Settings in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Control Panel and Settings in Windows 10 In Windows 10, there are a few different ways to find and change your settings: app settings, and search. Most of the settings that...