Windows 10: Sound degrades horribly when Hey Cortana is turned on

Discus and support Sound degrades horribly when Hey Cortana is turned on in Cortana to solve the problem; Bought a new Dell G5 15 3590 "budget gaming" laptop. Whenever "Hey cortana" feature is turned on, the sound starts clipping / crackling badly.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MikeSafar, Apr 10, 2020.

1. MikeSafar Win User

Sound degrades horribly when Hey Cortana is turned on

Bought a new Dell G5 15 3590 "budget gaming" laptop. Whenever "Hey cortana" feature is turned on, the sound starts clipping / crackling badly. Sounds horrible.

As of this writing, the laptop is on Windows 10, fully updated, fresh bios, fresh drivers from Dell update procedure.

Can reproduce the problem at will by turning on, turning off the Hey Cortana feature.

:)

MikeSafar, Apr 10, 2020

2. Hey Cortana and Sound blaster ZX.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to know whether the issue is specific to Cortana.

I suggest you to try speaking to Cortana slowly and clearly and check if Cortana is able to pick the voice correctly.

I also suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Click on Cortana.

2. Click on Disk like icon.

3. Click on Settings. Turn on hey Cortana.

4. Click on learn My Voice.

5. Follow the instructions.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    How to enable Hey Cortana on Android

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

By default, Hey Cortana feature is turned off unless you activate it. Kindly follow the steps below to enable the feature.

• Launch the Cortana app on your Android device.
    • Click on the Menu.
    • Click on Hey Cortana.
    • Toggle the switch to position On for
      From the Cortana app

The Hey Cortana feature will not work when the phone is in standby mode, however you can follow the steps mentioned in the article below to enable Cortana on lock screen.

Getting started with Cortana

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Sound degrades horribly when Hey Cortana is turned on

I got no sound microsoft or horrible sound

Hi Roger,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things.

• What happens exactly when you try to play the sound?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows updates?

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow below steps and check.

Step 1: I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Step 2: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Sound degrades horribly when Hey Cortana is turned on

1. Sound degrades horribly when Hey Cortana is turned on - Similar Threads - Sound degrades horribly

2. Hey Cortana

in Cortana
    Hey Cortana: Two days ago, I had Hey Cortana. It was set up and running fine. Cortana appeared in Settings and all was well. Yesterday, I had the old version back and had to sign back in. Cortana had disappeared from Settings and the "Hey Cortana" option was gone. Cortana is now...
  3. Hey Cortana??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hey Cortana??: So this is a serious bug which I am experiencing from the past few weeks..... I cant type in Cortana search bar/ windows settings search bar....... this getting serious as I am having trouble finding my files and apps....... any help regarding this would be appreciated :-)...
  4. Hey cortana

in Cortana
    Hey cortana: Hi guys. I can not change the setting for Let cortana respond to "hey cortana" It is off at the moment. I can find the setting to change it but it is not lit up and i can not click on it. I have attached a picture. Please help. Thanks [IMG]...
  5. Cortana not listening when I say 'Hey Cortana'

in Cortana
    Cortana not listening when I say 'Hey Cortana': Since the past few days Cortana on my device is not listening when I say 'Hey Cortana'. I have checked all the microphone settings and all the required permissions to Cortana are been given. I went on to check the Cortana settings and under the ' Talk to Cortana ' option I...
  6. Hey, Cortana!

in Cortana
    Hey, Cortana!: Apparently I can´t find nowhere the settings for the command Hey, Cortana! Did they disabled the feature? Windows 10 home -ver. 1909 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-cortana/ed5cc79b-5cb3-4ae3-90e6-bfbc87aa32a7"
  7. Cortana not respon to hey cortana

in Cortana
    Cortana not respon to hey cortana: My cortana not respond to Hey Cortana. I need to press windows+c key or the icon to activate it to start talking. Cortana still respond to hey cortana last week. [ATTACH]...
  8. hey cortana won't turn on

in Cortana
    hey cortana won't turn on: cortana won't turn on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-cortana-wont-turn-on/f5c2fd39-4f1d-4b51-95e8-8b8e2a533658"
  9. Hey cortana

in Cortana
    Hey cortana: I have a Lumia 650 mobile. How can I get hey Cortana installed, I have Cortana but I want the 'upgraded version'. Any ideas? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-cortana/5e3f71c9-490c-48c4-b72b-7477f09acd77"
  10. Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of...