Windows 10: sound devices quit working after windows 10 update

Discus and support sound devices quit working after windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 computer (an Intel NUC) with built-in sound (Realtek) and an external USB-driver D/A convertor (essentially a USB sound card).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mike1127, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Mike1127 Win User

sound devices quit working after windows 10 update

I have a Windows 10 computer (an Intel NUC) with built-in sound (Realtek) and an external USB-driver D/A convertor (essentially a USB sound card).

Some time after an update (although I'm not sure these incidents are related), my sound control panel now shows "no output devices found." So both the Realtek and my D/A convertor have disappeared.

(Note: the D/A convertor uses an Audio Class 2 driver provided by XMOS.)

The latest XMOS driver doesn't fix the problems with the D/A convertor.

Trying to update the Realtek driver says "you have the best version"

I found a blog post that suggested a recent update pushed the wrong version of an Intel SST driver.

I have version 9.21.0.4260 of the SST driver, which according to the blog post is NOT the problematic version. Despite that, I selected "roll back driver" and that didn't fix the issue.

Troubleshooting my audio results in the message "plug in a sound device" which I presume means plug something into the headphone jack on the NUC. I tried this, and no change, neither sound device was present.

Any suggestions at this point?

:)

Mike1127, Oct 5, 2019
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Oct 5, 2019
  3. erocker Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Any Windows update breaks my Creative sound drivers. Best way for me is to disable it via group policy:

• Go to Run –> gpedit.msc
    • In the Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> System –> Device Installation –> Device Installation Restrictions
    • In the right hand pane, select “Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings” and set it to Enabled.
    Once that's done, uninstall the driver Windows put in there and install the correct one.

erocker, Oct 5, 2019
  4. sound devices quit working after windows 10 update

Sound device not working in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand the situation must be difficult for you when things do not work as they should. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Do you see any red x on the sound icon in the system tray?
    • Do you see any yellow exclamation mark on any audio drivers in the device manager?
    • Was there a major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren't facing this issue?

Since the issue is related exclusively for sound card, we would suggest you to perform the steps as mentioned in this

Fix sound problems in Windows 10
    article and check if that helps you to fix the issue.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

sound devices quit working after windows 10 update

1. sound devices quit working after windows 10 update - Similar Threads - sound devices quit

2. Keyboard quit working after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard quit working after updates: I have an HP model 2000-2D49WM that came with windows 8. when I updated to 10, the keyboard stopped working. I have tried every possible solution I could find online.. Nothing has fixed it. I did discover that if I right click the start button then left click...
  3. Keyboard quit working after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard quit working after updates: I have an HP model 2000-2D49WM that came with windows 8. when I updated to 10, the keyboard stopped working. I have tried every possible solution I could find online.. Nothing has fixed it. I did discover that if I right click the start button then left click...
  4. Audio quit working after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio quit working after Windows 10 update: About a week ago I updated windows to Windows 10 Pro 21H1 and the audio quit working.MSI B550 MOBOI had been using the on board RealTech audio.So I ordered a Xonar SE sound card and installed it. With both units the Device Manager discovered them but in the Sound settings it...
  5. sound quit working

in Windows 10 Customization
    sound quit working: windows 10 new user, sound quit working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-quit-working/aa387d8c-879e-40ff-8be1-2adcf203c7d7
  6. works 2000 quit working after 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    works 2000 quit working after 10 update: newest update caused word 2000 to quit working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/works-2000-quit-working-after-10-update/fc6f7c71-ddff-4af3-9847-563bb0d165d0
  7. Audio quit working after a Windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio quit working after a Windows update: My audio stopped working a day after a Windows update. This is the second time that happened. The first time it happened, I simply bought new speakers. That was about 4 months ago. I don’t want to buy another set of new speakers. I’ve tried pretty much everything. I’ve tried...
  8. network quit working after updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network quit working after updates: WiFi does not connect after recent updates. Wifi used to connect anywhere. Do you know how to test network adapters? Update may wiped an old adapter or this Toshiba satellite M 645 S4070 may need different one. 90705
  9. Sound quit working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound quit working?: Hi Last night my sound just quit working. I went through everything and they all said that my sound was working correctly, but no sound came out. Rebooted still the same thing, checked all my plugs, Device Manager, tested etc. No sound. All dialogs said this device...
  10. Sound quit working, Again?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound quit working, Again?: Hi I posted about this before, but once again my sound quit working. Last night when I shut down my computer it was working, this morning when I booted up it wasn't. I restarted a couple of times (which has worked before when this happened sometimes) but no luck....