Windows 10: Sound Issue - Can't disable Windows Sonic for Headphones

Discus and support Sound Issue - Can't disable Windows Sonic for Headphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm a serious gamer, and use a Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp for audio - it has a Realtek chipset inside, connected via USB to my PC. My issues is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TechLad76, Nov 15, 2020.

1. TechLad76 Win User

Sound Issue - Can't disable Windows Sonic for Headphones

I'm a serious gamer, and use a Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp for audio - it has a Realtek chipset inside, connected via USB to my PC. My issues is that my virtual surround is stuck on Windows Sonic - I can't even disable this terrible codec! If I go to change the sound codec to off, it stays stuck on Windows Sonic. And even though I have Atmos for Headphones and DTS installed, I can't select either when I right click the speaker icon. It's only if I run the sound troubleshooter that I can even see Atmos or DTS - but selecting them does nothing, it just goes straight back to Sonic.

Everything was working perfectly until I recently used the Windows Mixed Reality software with a VR headset, which makes the default HMD sound use Windows Sonic. I've since unplugged the HMD, uninstalled WMR, and then done clean installs of my audio drivers, the Dolby Atmos software, and the DTS software. But I'm stuck on Windows Sonic!

Please help, as I've spent a LOT of money on my headphone + amp, only to have it ruined by a bug with Windows.

:)

TechLad76, Nov 15, 2020

2. Windows Sonic doesn't work in applications unless realtek is set to 7.1, which disables windows sonic.

Hi Dorklingshot,

I would like to know what device you were trying to work with Windows Sonic. If you're trying to set up Windows Sonic for Headphones, then follow these steps:

1. Connect your headphones to your computer.
    2. Once done, right-click on the Speaker icon on the system tray, and select
      Spatial sound. If you have a drop-down option, then select
      Windows Sonic for Headphones
      . If you don't, then proceed with the next step.
    3. On the Speaker Properties window, click the Spatial sound.
    4. Under Spatial sound format, click the drop-down arrow, and select Windows Sonic for Headphones.
    5. Tick the box for Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound.
    6. Click Apply, then OK.

Please update this thread with the result so I can assist you further if needed.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Headphone Sound Issue

Hello,

This issue could be related to the drivers on your computer or there's a problem with the headphones itself. For us to effectively assist you, we would like to ask a few questions:

• Could you tell us when did the issue start?
    • Are you referring to brand new headphones?
    • Have you tried updating the sound card drivers on your computer by checking the latest driver that is available from the manufacturer's website?
    • Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps provided in this article? If not, we advise that you try to perform
      the steps in the article and see if it helps.

Meanwhile, if you haven't tried downloading and installing the latest driver from the manufacturer's website, we suggest that you try it and check if you will experience the same issue.

Do get back to us so that we can further help.

Stephanie Sal, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Sound Issue - Can't disable Windows Sonic for Headphones

Spatial Sound (windows sonic for headphones, Dolby Atoms for Headphones/ with Astro A50 wireless headset)

Microsoft has its own spatial sound, but it works only with headphones. It's called Windows Sonic for Headphones. try that.

seahawks65, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Sound Issue - Can't disable Windows Sonic for Headphones

1. Sound Issue - Can't disable Windows Sonic for Headphones - Similar Threads - Sound Issue Can't

2. Headphones not recognised and no Windows Sonic available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones not recognised and no Windows Sonic available: I am configuring some audio settings for my laptop and noticed there was an option for spatial sound, however this option in the device properties says "Not available on this device". I know Windows Sonic is for headphones but my laptop doesn't seem to recognise headphones...
  3. Can't change musical quality and have Windows Sonic for Headphones on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change musical quality and have Windows Sonic for Headphones on?: Whenever I choose one, it turns the other off, help, like I can't turn up the khz without it turning Windows Sonic for Headphones off submitted by /u/YeetzaYeetza [link] [comments]...
  4. How to Disable Windows Sonic for Headphones?

How to Disable Windows Sonic for Headphones?: Now, if I don't want spacial audio, that's easy. The issue is that I DO want spacial audio. I just want to be able to use DTS and NOT Windows Sonic. For some stupid reason though Windows randomly chooses to override my selection, and set it to Windows Sonic. Which I don't...
  5. Skullcandy spatial sound not showing window sonic for headphones

Skullcandy spatial sound not showing window sonic for headphones: I am trying to find ways of being able to access my window sonic for headphones, but that it won't show up and I don't know how to be able to download it or to be able to contact the manufacturer because of how it doesn't show where to ask for help. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Windows Sonic for Headphones help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Sonic for Headphones help: [ATTACH] I need to tick a box on the configuration page of my speakers but it doesn't show. In particular, I need to enable a box that says "Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound" but it there isn't. here is the screenshot. Now there my interface is in Italian but you can...
  7. Sonic Spatial Sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sonic Spatial Sound: I recently got a new pair of headphones that are supposed to have 7.1 surround sound but it doesn't seem to work on my computer, I tried messing with the settings to get the sound I want from my headphones until I came across the SSS Sonic Spatial Sound but it doesn't seem to...
  8. Sonic Headphones For Windows/Spartial Sound Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sonic Headphones For Windows/Spartial Sound Not Working: Is it because of my computer specs? Because i tried every solution possible and i cant seem to click itit is grey out and when i go to properties and try to select it from a dropdown list, it auto reverts back to “off” the moment i click it...
  9. Windows Sonic For Headphones Greyed Out;

Windows Sonic For Headphones Greyed Out;: Wanted to share how my issue resolved after doing Marc Cai Microsoft Support Agent's adviced on how to enable back the Windows Sonic For Headphones Greyed Out Issue. Been struggling with this issue. And at last! It's been resolved. It works for me.. I hope this will help.....
  10. Windows Sonic for Headphones in Windows 1809

Windows Sonic for Headphones in Windows 1809: Hi all, does anyone know if the implementation was changed/upgraded in the latest 1809 build? My reason for asking is that I've been using it with my Kingston Hyper-X headphones, and I find the positional audio great in games. The game I use it most in is War Thunder where it...