Windows 10: Sound issues after a system rebuild & reset

Discus and support Sound issues after a system rebuild & reset in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I decided to "upgrade" my PC after 5 years. It started with just a graphics card change, but when I couldn't figure it out - I sent it to the shop. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HeckRock, May 4, 2021.

1. HeckRock Win User

Sound issues after a system rebuild & reset

I decided to "upgrade" my PC after 5 years. It started with just a graphics card change, but when I couldn't figure it out - I sent it to the shop. The guy told me my power supply was bad & I needed a new case so I decided why not change the processor, RAM, & motherboard while I was at it? At the end of the day pretty much the only thing left was my hard drive, plus they added my old hard drive from my 2009 PC in it, so I could get my old files off. Now I'm left with this Frankenstein machine that doesn't run very smoothly, & the sound started out decent, but it began to crackle randomly & eventually stopped working off & on. I tried various troubleshooting methods, reinstalling the drivers, uninstalling the whole thing then reinstalling, searching for the drivers online, installing from my hard drive, upgrading Windows with the updates, Resetting my PC, using aftermarket amplifiers, etc. Basically, everything that I was able to find from every tech forum I could find. It seems no one has my exact situation. They also don't have 2 hard drives either. After the reset I have 90% sound with a slight static, but it's annoying. The sound was perfect before the rebuild which leads me to think that it's a hardware issue. I've tried different head sets & plugging into different USB slots, & even using the male ends of the jacks. I get the same results. This makes me think it's a software issue since I get different results depending on how much I mess with the drivers (but it just goes from bad to worse). What I don't understand is how changing the chip set would do this? The sound was perfect on this same hard drive before the rebuild. Could a new GPU, CPU, motherboard, etc cause this issue? If so... how can I troubleshoot such a thing? I don't have the ability to take it apart again, nor the funds. Please help. Thanks. Windows 10 Ver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) Old Build: Motherboard - ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ CPU - A6-6400 APU Ram: 8 GB Graphics Card - Nvidia GT 740 New Build: Motherboard: MSI B365M Pro-VDH CPU - Pentium Gold G5500 Ram: Samsung 16 GB DDR4 PC4-21300 2666 MHz UDIMM Graphics Card - Gigabyte RX 570 4 GB

:)

HeckRock, May 4, 2021
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Sound issues after a system rebuild & reset :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, May 5, 2021
  3. HeckRock Win User

I decided to "upgrade" my PC after 5 years. It started with just a graphics card change, but when I couldn't figure it out - I sent it to the shop. The guy told me my power supply was bad & I needed a new case so I decided why not change the processor, RAM, & motherboard while I was at it? At the end of the day pretty much the only thing left was my hard drive, plus they added my old hard drive from my 2009 PC in it, so I could get my old files off. Now I'm left with this Frankenstein machine that doesn't run very smoothly, & the sound started out decent, but it began to crackle randomly & eventually stopped working off & on. I tried various troubleshooting methods, reinstalling the drivers, uninstalling the whole thing then reinstalling, searching for the drivers online, installing from my hard drive, upgrading Windows with the updates, Resetting my PC, using aftermarket amplifiers, etc. Basically, everything that I was able to find from every tech forum I could find. It seems no one has my exact situation. They also don't have 2 hard drives either. After the reset I have 90% sound with a slight static, but it's annoying. The sound was perfect before the rebuild which leads me to think that it's a hardware issue. I've tried different head sets & plugging into different USB slots, & even using the male ends of the jacks. I get the same results. This makes me think it's a software issue since I get different results depending on how much I mess with the drivers (but it just goes from bad to worse). What I don't understand is how changing the chip set would do this? The sound was perfect on this same hard drive before the rebuild. Could a new GPU, CPU, motherboard, etc cause this issue? If so... how can I troubleshoot such a thing? I don't have the ability to take it apart again, nor the funds. Please help.

Thanks.

Windows 10 Ver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928)

Old Build:
    Motherboard - ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+
    CPU - A6-6400 APU
    Ram: 8 GB
    Graphics Card - Nvidia GT 740

New Build:
    Motherboard: MSI B365M Pro-VDH
    CPU - Pentium Gold G5500
    Ram: Samsung 16 GB DDR4 PC4-21300 2666 MHz UDIMM
    Graphics Card - Gigabyte RX 570 4 GB

HeckRock, May 5, 2021
  4. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Sound issues after a system rebuild & reset :p

cadaveca, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Sound issues after a system rebuild & reset - Similar Threads - Sound issues system

2. System sounds keep resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System sounds keep resetting: How do I disable system sounds?? Every time the internet disconnects, it restarts, etc., they get turned back on. I am NOT trying to turn off all sound notifications, just the Windows ones. This is extremely annoying and I can't find any posts with an actual answer....
  3. Unable to activate Windows after system rebuild

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate Windows after system rebuild: Last week the motherboard in my PC failed and I had to install another. I have been running Windows 10 which I upgraded to from Windows 7 Pro during the free promotion period some time ago. The new motherboard did not support MBR formatted disks or Win7 so I had to reformat...
  4. Unable to activate Windows after system rebuild

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows after system rebuild: Last week the motherboard in my PC failed and I had to install another. I have been running Windows 10 which I upgraded to from Windows 7 Pro during the free promotion period some time ago. The new motherboard did not support MBR formatted disks or Win7 so I had to reformat...
  5. Unable to activate Windows after system rebuild

6. Sound reset issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound reset issue: Hello!This is an issue that has irked me since forever using Windows. Whenever I set the individual volume for an app to a specific level - let's say Edge at 50% - and I let the app idle for a while with no sound maybe I paus a video I am watching, when I later resume...
  7. Sound reset issue

Sound reset issue: Hello!This is an issue that has irked me since forever using Windows. Whenever I set the individual volume for an app to a specific level - let's say Edge at 50% - and I let the app idle for a while with no sound maybe I paus a video I am watching, when I later resume...
  8. System sound Auto-reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System sound Auto-reset: Dear allA week ago, I got my brand new XPS-17, i7 11th gen. top specs, windows pro10 64-bit. of course, despite the hefty premium price, it's far from perfect....One annoying issue is, System sound auto-reset. When i open the "Sound Mixer" dialogue, the System volume gets...
  9. Sound issues after system restore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound issues after system restore: Hi, First some computer details: Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 1903 (OS Build 18362.1016) CPU: i7-6700K RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: 1070 I am suffering from having no sound after a system restore. Right after the system restore I had a red cross on the sound icon...
  10. windows activation issue after system reset

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows activation issue after system reset: I purchased a computer from Ebay. I had to do a system reset. As a result of this the activation for Windows got wiped. The original owner gave me the code but the system says this won't work....