Windows 10: Sound issues windows loses output device

Discus and support Sound issues windows loses output device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have this problem on both my desktops at home and we're running into this issue on a laptop at work as well. At home, I have two computers that have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chris.B_FSC, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Sound issues windows loses output device

I have this problem on both my desktops at home and we're running into this issue on a laptop at work as well.

At home, I have two computers that have a monitor hooked up to them that have speakers. For some reason windows loses the speakers as an output device. This can happen when my pcs go to sleep or even when the monitors just go into power save mode. When I wake the computer or shake the mouse to bring the monitors out of power save mode, I can see the red x on my windows audio icon in the system tray. I then usually have to run the audio troubleshooter and that fixes it most of the time. Sometimes it completely is stuck and I have to restart the computer. This is super annoying to deal with when I get up and then return to have to fix my audio, multiple times. Note these monitors are connected by HDMI and Display port.

At work, we have USB speakers that the laptop will forget about randomly. And switching USB ports or running troubleshooting will fix them, but the laptop is a laptop we take to demo software, so having this issue is frustrating. The USB speakers just seem to randomly be forgotten and not just when the computer goes to sleep or power save mode.

All of these issues seemed to happen after some recent windows update as this has never been an issue previously, but I can't honestly recall when it started.

Any solutions or thoughts would be appreciated.

:)

Chris.B_FSC, Apr 5, 2021
  2. Arun B J Win User

5.1 surround sound issue in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

If you’re connecting an optical cable the settings would be changed so try the following steps

Two options:

1. Use the optical S/PDIF output of your motherboard.

2. Use the HDMI output of your GPU. (This is what I'd recommend if you're using a HDMI display).

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel.

• Select sound.

• Click on playback devices.

For option 1- connect the cable and set the 'Realtek digital output' as default device.

• Then right click on it.

• Go to properties.

• At the rightmost tab select DTS or Dolby Digital or 5.1.
    For option 2-connect the HDMI cable through the receiver and set the 'Nvidia HDMI Output' as your default device. Then click 'Configure' and select 5.1 and check if it helps.

If the issue persist then, I suggest you to connect the speakers directly and check in the realtek audio manager if he gets the 5.1 option or not using the SPDIF\output.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Apr 5, 2021
  3. ShogoXT Win User
    Vista sound output to two devices

Ive tried to search this up, but so far I haven't found good results.

I have a Sound Blaster X-fi PCI-E and the Radeon 4890 HDMI audio for outputs.
    I have them both working separately on the audio devices list on Vista Home Premium.
    I FINALLY got screen cloning to work in games, but audio will only output to one or the other.
    This depends on what I have set to default.

Is there anyway to get Vista to output all audio to BOTH devices?

Thanks in advance.

ShogoXT, Apr 5, 2021
  4. meebers Win User

Sound issues windows loses output device

No Sound No Output device

Running 19042.746 on a ASUS 2n1 computer. I believe this started 1 or 2 updates ago. I have no sound from the speakers or earphones with "the hardware device is not connected to the computer Code45" and "No output devices found" no pull down for choice. Device manager does not show a sound category unless I show hidden devices. Speaker icon in task tray shows a red "X". SFC /Scannow found some errors, ran 2x, no more errors. problem still exists.
    Appreciate any suggestions.

meebers, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

Sound issues windows loses output device

1. Sound issues windows loses output device - Similar Threads - Sound issues loses

2. The sound bar is not on.... "No output device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The sound bar is not on.... "No output device": I tried everything that has to do with updating sound drivers and uninstalling and installing them as well..I was thinking if I do a Windows reset would that might do the job?...
  3. The sound bar is not on.... "No output device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The sound bar is not on.... "No output device": I tried everything that has to do with updating sound drivers and uninstalling and installing them as well..I was thinking if I do a Windows reset would that might do the job?...
  4. Sound -- No Output Devices Found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound -- No Output Devices Found: Inspite of my sound/video card being shown in Device Manager, I get a No Output Devices Found error in System Settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-no-output-devices-found/a6981e4d-8a3b-43de-849f-40b94aba990e
  5. Sound -- No Output Devices Found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound -- No Output Devices Found: Inspite of my sound/video card being shown in Device Manager, I get a No Output Devices Found error in System Settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-no-output-devices-found/a6981e4d-8a3b-43de-849f-40b94aba990e
  6. Sound -- No Output Devices Found

7. Sound output device disappering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound output device disappering: Hi, ever since I updated to Windows 11, my monitor keep disappearing from the audio output device list my primary speakers are connected to this monitor, which is connected to my PC via display port on my graphics card.This happens almost always when I switch from the...
  8. Sound output device disappering

Sound output device disappering: Hi, ever since I updated to Windows 11, my monitor keep disappearing from the audio output device list my primary speakers are connected to this monitor, which is connected to my PC via display port on my graphics card.This happens almost always when I switch from the...
  9. No Sound No Output device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Sound No Output device: Running 19042.746 on a ASUS 2n1 computer. I believe this started 1 or 2 updates ago. I have no sound from the speakers or earphones with "the hardware device is not connected to the computer Code45" and "No output devices found" no pull down for choice. Device manager does...
  10. Windows Losing Sound Output When Asleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Losing Sound Output When Asleep: Hello, I've noticed this a couple of weeks ago, If I lock my PC and leave it to go to sleep, then I turn it back on again, it says there are no output devices. However, when I run the troubleshooter, it magically detects them again. It's a bit annoying running the...