Windows 10: Sound muted at startup

Discus and support Sound muted at startup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since I installed Windows 10, whenever I start my laptop the sound is muted by default. It doesn't happen with a restart, only when starting after a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pjgibbons, Dec 3, 2015.

1. pjgibbons Win User

Sound muted at startup

Since I installed Windows 10, whenever I start my laptop the sound is muted by default. It doesn't happen with a restart, only when starting after a shut down. Does anyone know how to fix this? I know it's a first world problem, but it's annoying.

:)

pjgibbons, Dec 3, 2015
  2. AlexDragu Win User

SUPER annoying audio loop

When I start Windows 10, (An old Pentium 3 Windows 2000 desktop, and yes it met the requirements.), I get a REALLY annoying audio loop of the Windows 2000 startup and when the startup sound finishes, it does the shutdown sound, and then the startup sound,
    and so on. Muting the volume does nothing, and plugging in headphones doesn't work either, it just comes through the speakers. GGRR.......

AlexDragu, Dec 3, 2015
  3. Sound stucks on mute whenever startup.

Hi,

What is the make and model of your computer?

This issue could occur due to incompatible, outdated or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods below which can help us resolving this issue.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Update display adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers

I would also suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest audio drivers from the Manufacturer website.

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager:

• Press Windows key + R on the keyboard
    • In run window type devmgmt.msc
    • Locate audiodevices and expand the same
    • Right-click on the audio driver and then
      uninstall the drivers.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
    Now, please go to the manufacturer website and install
    the latest audio drivers.

Restart the computer and check.

Step 3: Check in compatibility mode.

Download the drivers from the Manufacture and follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older programs compatible with
    this version of Windows
    (Steps applies to Windows 10)

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Anusha Verma, Dec 3, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Sound muted at startup

First thing would be to see if an updated driver exists for your sound device. If not or if it does not make any difference then the following might help.

Windows 10 by default has something called Fast Start enabled. It does help your laptop boot up faster but has also been known to cause other problems. It does not apply when Restart is selected which is why I think it may have something to do with your problem.

To deactivate Fast Start type power options in the search bar, hit enter and in the window that opens click on "Choose what the power buttons do". In the new window click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". This will allow you to uncheck the selection to "Turn on Fast start-up".

See if this helps and report back. Also see what impact it has made to the start-up times and you can decide if you want to keep the fix or go back to the Fast start-up setting and have to un-mute the sound.

philc43, Dec 3, 2015
  5. pjgibbons Win User
    Thank you so much! It was the fast start. I always had it turned off in the past because it affected the numlock being on at startup. The 1511 update changed so many of my settings it's ridiculous, and that's one I forgot to check.

I think prior to that it was a driver issue, because I did have an updated driver and I hadn't had the problem for a while.

Thanks again!

pjgibbons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Sound muted at startup

1. Sound muted at startup - Similar Threads - Sound muted startup

2. pc sound is muted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc sound is muted: Split from this thread.my pc sound muted. i wanted to solve this but i can do solve the audio sound https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-sound-is-muted/1030afc4-bc32-4eaf-8dfd-e54dba79cd64
  3. pc sound is muted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc sound is muted: Split from this thread.my pc sound muted. i wanted to solve this but i can do solve the audio sound https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-sound-is-muted/1030afc4-bc32-4eaf-8dfd-e54dba79cd64
  4. Sound is 100% or muted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound is 100% or muted: Hello, this started today. I muted my sound and when I went to reactivate it and it didn't respond. Tried doing it with my keyboard, with the speaker icon on the bottom bar, and finally through the sound settings, with no impact. So I restarted the computer. The soundbar went...
  5. Microphone mutes sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone mutes sound: This has been happening as long as I can remember but only recently has it been a problem.I use a headset with a built in microphone and whenever an application activates the microphone it mutes any sound from other applications and most of the time the sound from the...
  6. Sound muted every time at startup after Microsoft upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound muted every time at startup after Microsoft upgrade: After allowing recent Microsoft update to run my laptop now has the sound device muted until I ask Microsoft Assistant to unmute my device. Soundbar shows sound is on at 50% and speaker is on. What can I do to regain control of my device?!...
  7. Sound works but is muted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sound works but is muted: I can raise volume, but the PC mutes it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-works-but-is-muted/8da6ba76-f8e3-4215-a0f0-89bc76ef4dc3
  8. mute the sound

mute the sound: Previously I would click on the speaker in the task bar and be able to mute or unmute the sound. This is no longer working and I can't seem to change it in the settings. Any advice...
  9. Computer automatically mutes sound at startup

Computer automatically mutes sound at startup: My work-issued laptop (HP ELiteBook 840 G3) automatically mutes sound whenever I log in. Running Windows 10 Enterprise, with whatever update my employer has "pushed out" to it -- I don't have user rights to run Windows Update. I can manually turn the sound back on, but if I...
  10. mute sound of adverts

mute sound of adverts: I cannot mute the sound when advertisements are playing on Solitaire. Is it a normal thing? If not, can I mute it in some way or I have to uninstall the game? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mute-sound-of-adverts/3291f13a-ca65-4ac5-850c-dfcf3ff15644

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc sound muted after reboot