Windows 10: Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help?

Discus and support Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Skip to the ~~~~~ if you don't care about how I got here and just want to see what I've already tried. I have an MSI GE72 that is almost exactly 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/deadasfishinabarrel, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help?

Skip to the ~~~~~ if you don't care about how I got here and just want to see what I've already tried.

I have an MSI GE72 that is almost exactly 5 years old. At first I was just trying to make my fans run slower/quieter (I suspect the bearings have run out and become noisy and/or a heat sensor error is making the fans think they need to run harder than they do, but that's beside the point). I re-downloaded MSI's "dragon manager" that I had long since uninstalled, which is supposed to let you manually control the fans among other things. As it turns out, it no longer includes any fan settings at all, only color settings, which immediately fucked my display up by maxing out the gamma and not letting me turn it down, flickering obnoxiously when I tried to fix it, and was also overriding my ability to fix it through the windows color calibration instead. Somehow in this process my start bar color also got changed. I eventually had to use an automatically created system restore from earlier in the day just to make my system visibly usable again. After the restore, the display was back to normal, but my sound no longer worked at all. When I try to test any of my speakers I get the error "failed to play test tone." When I play something from youtube, the volume mixer doesn't even recognize that chrome is making any noise. And perhaps most interestingly, when I played minecraft, the subtitles were turned on, but none displayed; apparently, whatever this issue is, is not just preventing sound from being played through any speakers, but is actually preventing any programs from making sound in the first place. I'd be more fascinated if I wasn't so pissed off and exhausted.

As a secondary problem that has made trying to fix the sound even more difficult, most system settings/options won't let me click on them from the start bar search. Ie, "check for updates/windows update settings," "add or remove programs," "sound settings," etc. They'll show up when I type to search for them, but clicking on the result does absolutely nothing. I have been able to access these settings by opening the control panel or settings window and finding the setting I want, but it just won't work through start. This also applies to opening CMD as admin-- I had to open the location of the CMD prompt executables in windows explorer, and open it from there. I made a shortcut to the admin one on my desktop and so far that has worked.

~~~~~

I have tried every fix on this list (except for the last one*), and restarted after each attempted fix, but tldr:

• Going to services, and stopping/restarting windows audio and windows audio endpoint builder
    • Going to device manager, and uninstalling/reinstaling/scanning for new hardware/updating/manually searching online for and downloading, the drivers for "intel(R) display audio" and "realtek high definition audio". I tried several different versions of the realtek audio driver, as well as the Nahimic driver/app that MSI recommends, but no dice anywhere.
    • Opening CMD prompt as administrator and entering " Sfc /scannow ". It ran and claimed it found and resolved some errors, but I noticed no changes and it did not fix the sound. I entered the second part of the website's suggested code, reading " sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows ", but got an error returned that said something like "the requested offline directory is not offline, it is online" (paraphrased), and it did not appear to scan or fix anything in response to that second command.
    • Going into the individual speaker devices' settings and disabling enhancements, disabling allowing applications to take control of the device, and changing the sample rate (tried for all three speaker devices in my sound settings: the laptop's integrated ones, my second monitor's integrated ones, and the desk speakers I plugged in to test)
    • * The last suggested fix involves finding a "local users and groups" folder which does not exist on my machine in the location the site says it should, so I could not try this fix.
    • I could not try updating windows; it does tell me that there are a couple of (minor and seemingly unrelated) updates available, and I hit "download" on that at one point, but it just says "pending download" and won't actually do so, and won't give me any other option to install them.
    • I also took the underside of my laptop case off (as part of trying to fix the fans), and while I'm no hardware expert, I looked at all the connections I could see and made sure everything was sitting snugly, especially the ones directly related to the integrated speakers, and nothing seemed out of place.

Given the issues opening certain applications, and a stray comment I saw on one of the dozens of forums I've looked at today, I'm worried that the issue might be some kind of corruption in my OS or user/admin files? I admittedly don't know enough about how an OS works to know how worried I actually should be about that, but I would really like to avoid reverting/resetting windows entirely if I can. My OS should be (?) entirely located on my C drive (SSD), but I have several other programs on there that I won't be able to reinstall if I lose them, and hundreds of GB of games on my D drive (HDD) that would take literal weeks to reinstall with my current internet if for some reason I had to reset that drive too.

Would really appreciate if anyone has any other fixes they could share that I haven't tried yet!

submitted by /u/deadasfishinabarrel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/deadasfishinabarrel, Mar 8, 2021

2. window10 sound problems - I need help can you help me do that to fix the sound.

Hi,

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• What all the troubleshooting steps have you tried to resolved the issue?
    • What is the exact issue are you facing with sound?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows updates?

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Mar 8, 2021
  3. System Restore does not work

It 's fixed now, I tried the sfc /scannow command, some files were corrupted and Windows fixed them thanks for your help!

Bhavya Dua, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help?

Hdmi sound not working

Hi Peter,

One possible reason why the HDMI sound does not work is due to the conflicts with the playback settings. For us to help you make the HDMI sound to work, we suggest that you answer the following questions for further research:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10?
    • Have you tried to download and install the most updated sound and display driver of your computer?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps on this
    article
    as our initial troubleshooting and see if there will be any changes on the HDMI sound.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Xylee Del, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help?

1. Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help? - Similar Threads - Sound working system

2. Sound not working after system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound not working after system restore: My sound not working at all. I restart the PC multiple times and ensure that my PC is up to date, but nothing works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-not-working-after-system-restore/d57eb173-1d23-4ad4-bd7c-592f9b0833a5
  3. Sound not working after system restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound not working after system restore: My sound not working at all. I restart the PC multiple times and ensure that my PC is up to date, but nothing works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-not-working-after-system-restore/d57eb173-1d23-4ad4-bd7c-592f9b0833a5
  4. Sound not working after system restore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows Search Bar still not working after trying every solution

in Cortana
    Windows Search Bar still not working after trying every solution: I have attempted to fix my windows search bar from crashing. I have used every solution I could find from running scripts to reinstalling it to going into my regedit. It fixed itself when I restarted windows but it quickly came back.Help. I miss searching things up....
  6. Windows Search Bar still not working after trying every solution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Bar still not working after trying every solution: I have attempted to fix my windows search bar from crashing. I have used every solution I could find from running scripts to reinstalling it to going into my regedit. It fixed itself when I restarted windows but it quickly came back.Help. I miss searching things up....
  7. Windows Search Bar still not working after trying every solution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Headphones don't work. Tried every solution.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Headphones don't work. Tried every solution.: So I was visiting another town for a year for school, and I had my gaming laptop I had just got new headphones and they worked great. When I got back home to my PC though my headphones wouldn't work. Me and my father spent almost 3 hour trying to fix this issue. My drivers...
  9. Sound not working/Can't system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sound not working/Can't system restore: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7577 that I bought in Japan. Last summer, I deleted the RealTek Audio Driver that came with it so that I could use the default "High Definition Audio". This worked fine, but when there was a big update in January to Windows 10, I lost all...
  10. Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore: Hi, I've tried to use my restore point but it always failed, so I applied a fix I found. However, this caused a blackscreen after rebooting. I've already tried cutting off the power and rebooting multiple times now, it shows the motherboard logo (BIOS works) but when the...