Windows 10: Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences

Discus and support Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Windows version is given as Windows 10 - Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.765). Two days ago (May 14), after installing several updates via Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by camandoliver123, May 16, 2019.

1. Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences

My Windows version is given as Windows 10 - Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.765). Two days ago (May 14), after installing several updates via Windows Update, my system sound stopped working. I can't get any sound from either the built-in speakers or through earphones. In addition, if I go into Settings -> System -> Sound and select "App volume and device preferences", the Settings app crashes after a second or two. This happens consistently. I've tried various troubleshooting tips that I've found online, have removed all sound drivers and downloaded & installed the sound drivers from the manufacturer (Acer) but nothing makes any difference. Thanks to anyone who can help.

:)

camandoliver123, May 16, 2019
  2. jasonvp Win User

Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question

Hey folks -

My "search-fu" is a bit weak on this one and I haven't been able to find out whether someone else has seen and/or fixed this problem. First thing: I have multiple sound playback devices via a single USB connection into a mixer. It's 16 stereo playback devices and 16 stereo recording/line-in devices. All good. Those work fine.

In the "Sound Settings --> App volume and device preferences" window, I have various applications set to use different playback devices via the aforementioned USB connection. When I make the change in the Settings window, all is good. The application (eg: Chrome) instantly starts using the configured device. If I quit the app and restart it sometime later, it begins playing its sound over the Default sound device. Even though the Settings window still shows it attached to a different playback device. I have to change it, and change it again, and it begins playing over the correct device.

It's like Windows is forgetting that I've got the app assigned to device XYZ vs the default.

Is there some interesting work-around/fix for this?

OS is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, 1809.

Thanks!

jasonvp, May 16, 2019
  3. ITM
    itm Win User
    How to add desktop shortcut to App volume device preferences?

No it's the Settings page that lets me select which audio input/output device is used by each running App

4. Edwin Win User

Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences

How to add desktop shortcut to App volume device preferences?

Don't know of a shortcut description for that page, sorry,
    you could use the classic Volume Mixer though: sndvol...

Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences [​IMG]

Edwin, May 16, 2019
Thema:

Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences

1. Sound not working and Settings app crashes on App Volume and Device Preferences - Similar Threads - Sound working Settings

2. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19042I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  3. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19042I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  4. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19043I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  6. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19043I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  7. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. App Volume and Device Preferences Not Working

App Volume and Device Preferences Not Working: I only found out about this feature a few days ago and decided to tweak a few things within it, nothing major. Though now when I go back to make additional changes, it only shows up briefly without list any apps and then immediately closes. Any idea what this might be?...
  9. Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question: Hey folks - My "search-fu" is a bit weak on this one and I haven't been able to find out whether someone else has seen and/or fixed this problem. First thing: I have multiple sound playback devices via a single USB connection into a mixer. It's 16 stereo playback devices and...
  10. Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound: App Volume and Device Preferences Question: Hey folks - My "search-fu" is a bit weak on this one and I haven't been able to find out whether someone else has seen and/or fixed this problem. First thing: I have multiple sound playback devices via a single USB connection into a mixer. It's 16 stereo playback devices and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. app volume and device preferences download