Windows 10: Sound on system mutes itself after 20 seconds of non-sound activity on computer

Discus and support Sound on system mutes itself after 20 seconds of non-sound activity on computer in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have had PC's since Windows 98 has been out. I have actively been a member of an online karaoke community since Windows XP was out, where your sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by de Hat, Mar 16, 2023.

1. de Hat Win User

Sound on system mutes itself after 20 seconds of non-sound activity on computer

I have had PC's since Windows 98 has been out. I have actively been a member of an online karaoke community since Windows XP was out, where your sound settings needed to be set up a specific way to sing live in a chat room, so I know my way around sound settings. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out if this is a sound driver issue or an issue in Windows 11, because I have never seen it before.I've had my new Windows 11 system just under a month, and there is a nagging problem with the sound. It mutes itself if there is no sound activity being generated by the computer for 20 seconds.

:)

de Hat, Mar 16, 2023
  2. archz2 Win User

Keeping system sound muted forever?

I have Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 laptop running 64 bit windows 10 version 21H2 (Build 19044.1706).I like to keep the system sounds (not the media, music, etc. sound) always muted using the mute button. However, whenever I reboot my laptop, the sound automatically comes back to a medium level.How can I keep the system volume always muted?

Sound on system mutes itself after 20 seconds of non-sound activity on computer 367844d1654093634t-keeping-system-sound-muted-forever-sound-issues.png

archz2, Mar 16, 2023
  3. llinfeng Win User
    Windows 10 Volume Mixer fails to keep System Sounds muted over Remote Desktop Connection

The problem:

after having muted the System Sounds on the remote desktop machine, it shall unmute itself after several seconds. This pattern is persistent.

The physical setting:

I use my laptop at work, and use Remote Desktop Connection to access my desktop machine left in my apartment.

The software setting:

I have enabled Remote audio through the Remote Desktop Connection, and chose Remote audio playback --> Play on this computer. Thus, I get audio streaming on my laptop at work.

My attempt:

I have tried to find a way to mute System Volumes through a shortcut, and the following pages appears to be helpful:

1. HowToGeek suggested to create a shortcut with the following executable command:

“C:\Path\To\nircmd.exe” mutesysvolume 2
    2. The same source also points me to the shortcut for opening the Volume Mixer. %SystemRoot%\System32\SndVol.exe. Yet, I failed to find a stable way to mute System Sounds through AutoHotKey.

The problem for the suggested approach is that, on Windows 10, nircmd.exe no longer take the option "mutesysvolume 2" as designed. Instead of toggling the System Volumes, it is toggling the Device Volume. This is different from what the specs have suggested: NirCmd - Windows command line tool

llinfeng, Mar 16, 2023
  4. archz2 Win User

Keeping system sound muted forever?

Aha. No I didn't. I was always clicking on the mute button. Now the problem seems to be resolved. I'll observe for 3-4 days now.
    Thanks a lot. Will definitely check it out.
    I'm always on this setting. Actually there's this annoying system beep sound when I switch on my charger while the laptop is starting. That's the one I'm trying to avoid.

archz2, Mar 16, 2023
Thema:

1. Sound on system mutes itself after 20 seconds of non-sound activity on computer - Similar Threads - Sound system mutes

2. Sound on system mutes itself after 20 seconds of non-sound activity on computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound on system mutes itself after 20 seconds of non-sound activity on computer: I have had PC's since Windows 98 has been out. I have actively been a member of an online karaoke community since Windows XP was out, where your sound settings needed to be set up a specific way to sing live in a chat room, so I know my way around sound settings. But for the...
  3. Non-system sounds stops working after non use

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Non-system sounds stops working after non use: submitted by /u/handy54321 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v67akn/nonsystem_sounds_stops_working_after_non_use/
  4. Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.: I have had this problem for some time. Carlo has worked with me and requested the make of my computer however I could not figure out how to get it to him and got disconnected. The speakers shut down when you turn the computer off at night. The trouble shooter fixes them when...
  5. Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.: I have had this problem for some time. Carlo has worked with me and requested the make of my computer however I could not figure out how to get it to him and got disconnected. The speakers shut down when you turn the computer off at night. The trouble shooter fixes them when...
  6. Sound mutes itself when you turn off computer at night.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows 10 System sound getting muted by itself.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 System sound getting muted by itself.: There are many similar posts about this; but none of those did help at all with the issue.I sometimes switch between different sound outputs, and when I do that the system's audio sets itself to muted. But without doing it it still randomly happens.It never happens to any...
  8. Computer sound input is muted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer sound input is muted: Why did sound reception mute? George https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-sound-input-is-muted/974bbcdc-ca6d-4985-8bc5-d525321edbad
  9. mute the sound

mute the sound: Previously I would click on the speaker in the task bar and be able to mute or unmute the sound. This is no longer working and I can't seem to change it in the settings. Any advice...
  10. Computer automatically mutes sound at startup

Computer automatically mutes sound at startup: My work-issued laptop (HP ELiteBook 840 G3) automatically mutes sound whenever I log in. Running Windows 10 Enterprise, with whatever update my employer has "pushed out" to it -- I don't have user rights to run Windows Update. I can manually turn the sound back on, but if I...