Windows 10: Sound only going to monitor (HDMI)

Discus and support Sound only going to monitor (HDMI) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! On a fresh install of Windows 10 my sound works fine. Then when I install the drivers and utilities that come with my motherboard (MSI Z370I)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RH618, Jan 9, 2020.

1. RH618 Win User

Sound only going to monitor (HDMI)

Hello!

On a fresh install of Windows 10 my sound works fine. Then when I install the drivers and utilities that come with my motherboard (MSI Z370I) I loose the sound and it appears to be sent to my monitor despite me changing it to "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio" (which has no speakers). Screenshot below.

Any ideas how I can send this to normal speakers? (Headphone jack to motherboard)

Sound only going to monitor (HDMI) [​IMG]

:)

RH618, Jan 9, 2020

2. dual monitors stops sound

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• When will the sound disable, when playing through main monitor or the extended monitor?
    • Did you try enabling the sound from the sound drivers and check if it helps?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    This issue causes because the monitor automatically takes the HDMI sound as the Default input. Disable and enable the speakers and check if it helps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the volume control and then
      Properties
    • When you connect the HDMI it becomes the default output device, even though it has no speakers.
    • You need to change this back to "Speakers" and set as default.

Sound only going to monitor (HDMI) 277833d1379328243t-hdmi-monitor-no-speakers-no-sound-anywhere-when-connected-sound.png

Hope this helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Hdmi sound not working

Hi Peter,

One possible reason why the HDMI sound does not work is due to the conflicts with the playback settings. For us to help you make the HDMI sound to work, we suggest that you answer the following questions for further research:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10?
    • Have you tried to download and install the most updated sound and display driver of your computer?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps on this
    article
    as our initial troubleshooting and see if there will be any changes on the HDMI sound.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Xylee Del, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Sound only going to monitor (HDMI)

Sound Not Working when connecting monitor via HDMI

Hi Eric,

As per the information provided, I suggest that you follow the steps below and check if the sound protrudes through the system.

1. Right click on the Sound Icon located on the notification area, and select Playback Devices.

2. Here while the monitor is plugged to the PC, select your monitor device.

3. Here highlight the device and click on Properties.

4. On the next window, under Device Usage, select Don't use this device (Disable).

5. Once done, follow steps 1 - 3, and instead of clicking on Properties click on Configure.

6. Follow the on screen instructions and check

Sound only going to monitor (HDMI) 277833d1379328243t-hdmi-monitor-no-speakers-no-sound-anywhere-when-connected-sound.png

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Sound only going to monitor (HDMI)

1. Sound only going to monitor (HDMI) - Similar Threads - Sound going monitor

2. HDMI monitor disabled sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI monitor disabled sound: Hi,I recently purchased an ASUS VA27EHE Eye Care Monitor and connected it to my Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 running Windows 11 version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 using an HDMI cable. While the external monitor offers an enhanced visual experience, alas entirely disabled the sound...
  3. HDMI monitor disabled sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI monitor disabled sound: Hi,I recently purchased an ASUS VA27EHE Eye Care Monitor and connected it to my Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 running Windows 11 version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 using an HDMI cable. While the external monitor offers an enhanced visual experience, alas entirely disabled the sound...
  4. Sound in monitor connected with a hdmi cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound in monitor connected with a hdmi cable: When I connect the laptop to a monitor with a hdmi cable, I can watch the video but don´t listen the audio.I´ve reviewed the driver sound intel R for displays and it show that it´s windows/system32 but my laptop is windows System 64.I´m believed that perhaps the problem is on...
  5. Sound in monitor connected with a hdmi cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound in monitor connected with a hdmi cable: When I connect the laptop to a monitor with a hdmi cable, I can watch the video but don´t listen the audio.I´ve reviewed the driver sound intel R for displays and it show that it´s windows/system32 but my laptop is windows System 64.I´m believed that perhaps the problem is on...
  6. HDMI Monitor keeps going black

HDMI Monitor keeps going black: My monitor is going black but it's not my computer giving a black screen, my second monitor is working and I can clearly see my computer is fine. My monitor is also indicating that it has power and it is not going to sleep, the light that displays when the monitor is actively...
  7. HDMI sound system recognizing as a monitor

HDMI sound system recognizing as a monitor: Hello, i'm using two monitors and a sound system that is recognizing as a 3th monitor It's anoying when i open a new window and it goes to the 3th monitor and i cant see it because it is not a monitor. I wan't to keep using the soung system but "blocking" it to not actualy...
  8. Sound going through hdmi to monitor when it should be through speaker

Sound going through hdmi to monitor when it should be through speaker: Hi all So i brought a new case which turned up yesterday as i had overheating issues of late which is now fixed but felt it was time to upgrade the case for future expansions. So after some weird technical problems with the computer in its new caseshutting down and things...
  9. No sound from HDMI connected monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    No sound from HDMI connected monitor: The sound quit working on my HDMI connected monitor. It says headphone or speaker unplugged. I'm pretty sure some update caused it. I have a Dell Inspiron Desktop....
  10. HDMI/Second Monitor/Sound Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI/Second Monitor/Sound Issues: Recently on two different computers, I've attempted to connect a second monitor with HDMI and runi into major problems. On one computer, I was able to get a picture but no sound. On the second computer, I got nothing. No picture, no sound, no connection at all. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 how do i change sould output from hdmi back to 3.5 output