Windows 10: Sound only works on cold boot

Discus and support Sound only works on cold boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have an awesome Dell laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 that I have had for a couple of years now. I have had this issue since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mcompagno, Aug 4, 2019.

1. mcompagno Win User

Sound only works on cold boot

Hello,

I have an awesome Dell laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 that I have had for a couple of years now. I have had this issue since I bought the laptop and have never been able to get the issue resolved.

When I cold boot the computer, sound works fine. But whenever I do a re-start, sound doesn't work.

Most people seem to have the opposite problem, or having issues with sound not working at all, so I really haven't been able to find any articles related to my specific problem.

I did find something about Windows Fast Boot feature that might be causing an issue, so I tried turning off fast boot and that didn't work either. Sound works fine from cold boot but doesn't work after re-start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

mcompagno, Aug 4, 2019
  2. mcompagno Win User

Hello,

I have an awesome Dell laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 that I have had for a couple of years now. I have had this issue since I bought the laptop and have never been able to get the issue resolved.

When I cold boot the computer, sound works fine. But whenever I do a re-start, sound doesn't work.

Most people seem to have the opposite problem, or having issues with sound not working at all, so I really haven't been able to find any articles related to my specific problem.

I did find something about Windows Fast Boot feature that might be causing an issue, so I tried turning off fast boot and that didn't work either. Sound works fine from cold boot but doesn't work after re-start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mcompagno, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Rivergoat Win User
    Logoff, Logon, shutdown, restart, startup sounds not playing

I'm running Threshold 2 of Win10. It seems the Startup Sound is working again. Previously, even checked it would only play intermittently on a warm boot, not a cold one. Now it seems to work all the time. There is a 3rd party app that lets you change the Startup Sound to whatever you want, without you having to go through the hack steps.

The Exit Windows sound is another matter. Even enabled via the Registry and reappearing in the Sound list, selecting a sound for that does not make it play at shutdown.

Rivergoat, Sep 28, 2019
  4. mcompagno Win User

Hello Vijay,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have run through all of your troubleshooting suggestions:

Troubleshooter advised "Generic Audio Driver Not Fixed"

Sound only works on cold boot 59a4b7fb-30ad-4e52-88cb-ac88eadd6d15?upload=true.jpg

Driver update isn't necessary according to Windows 10:

Sound only works on cold boot 741a2eaa-1d5d-4ad3-bd8b-9bbd8c5c445f?upload=true.jpg

Sound only works on cold boot 550f22b7-4a90-4e28-958e-5588f99cc1ff?upload=true.jpg

Dell website reports no driver updates needed other that BIOS (completed install)

Sound only works on cold boot adfd0378-6709-4690-be0d-b4cb8cc3ac69?upload=true.jpg

Services shows that Sound is running and is set to automatic start up:

Sound only works on cold boot 355ba80b-cbce-4828-a11d-4e8a0fe508c8?upload=true.jpg

Still no sound after system re-start, but sound works fine after cold boot.

mcompagno, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Sound only works on cold boot - Similar Threads - Sound works cold

2. Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.: Recently, I made my own pc and noticed that my ethernet driver is "hidden" in device manager and will only work after i unplug the power supply for 10-20 seconds and plug it back in. So far, I have tried-Unchecking the "Allow device to sleep" or something like that in the...
  3. Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.: Recently, I made my own pc and noticed that my ethernet driver is "hidden" in device manager and will only work after i unplug the power supply for 10-20 seconds and plug it back in. So far, I have tried-Unchecking the "Allow device to sleep" or something like that in the...
  4. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  5. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  6. BSOD on cold boot only

BSOD on cold boot only: Hi all, this is a duplicate of this post that I posted in the wrong section. Just delete that post. Sorry for making a mess, I'm new on this forum. So: my problem is with my custom build PC, and any help would be greatly appreciated. My problem is similar to the one...
  7. No Startup Sound at boot from cold start.

in Windows 10 Support
    No Startup Sound at boot from cold start.: Whenever I do a restart boot I get the Windows Startup sound. If I boot from Shutdown I do not get it. Is this the way it should be? Thank you. 131275
  8. BSOD on cold boot only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD on cold boot only: Hi all, I have a problem with my custom build desktop that is a bit annoying, and any help would be greatly appreciated. My problem is similar to the one described here. My problem is that every cold boot (by this I mean a start of the computer after it has been shut down...
  9. BSOD on only cold boots

BSOD on only cold boots: I got a custom built pc for christmas and it has been getting BSOD's since it was built and they have only been happening on cold boots, and the file that is having problems is ntoskrnl. I would love if someone could find the problem that has been going on for weeks. 39014
  10. Cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cold boot issues: Hello, i have this issue on one PC that I've installed windows 10 and it doesn't boot properly. It goes to the windows logo part then it hangs for a bit before shutting itself down , then i need to power it on again and it will boot after a while. It also creates massive...