Windows 10: Sound quality

Discus and support Sound quality in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I used to be able to change the sound quality on my computer, but after installing this version of windows, the option to change the sound quality... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cerawy, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Cerawy Win User

Sound quality

I used to be able to change the sound quality on my computer, but after installing this version of windows, the option to change the sound quality seems to be greyed out. Is it possible to get the option to change the sound quality back again?

:)

Cerawy, Jun 7, 2018
  2. Jomel Ber Win User

Sound Quality / Windows 10 Upgrade

Hi J,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to troubleshoot sound issues after upgrading to Windows 10:

• Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar located at the bottom right of the screen and select
      Playback Devices.
    • Select the current playback device in use and by default it should be the
      Speakers
      . Double-click on it to open its Properties window.
    • Got to Advanced tab and change the bit rate to either of the following: 24bit/44100 Hz or 24bit/192000Hz. Depending on the speaker configuration.
    If that won't work, follow these steps on how to scan for hardware changes:

• Go to Start menu, search for Device Manager and click it.
    • Expand Sound and audio devices.
    • Right-click on the current sound driver and choose Uninstall.
    • Click on Scan for hardware changes and the updated driver will be automatically installed.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you download the latest sound card drivers for Windows 10 from your PC's manufacturer website.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Jun 7, 2018
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Low sound quality

Hi Raymond,

Try installing audio drivers in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the audio driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
      ‘Properties’
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7/8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Please revert if there is still no improvement in the sound quality.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jun 7, 2018
Thema:

Sound quality

1. Sound quality - Similar Threads - Sound quality

2. Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers: I have just gotten a new Win laptop - MSI Stealth 16, supposedly a great laptop - and have been struggling to get good, acceptable sound quality. I come from an old mac, where the sound was terrific. What's problematic:I've tried various equalisers in Win 11 including Boom,...
  3. Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers: I have just gotten a new Win laptop - MSI Stealth 16, supposedly a great laptop - and have been struggling to get good, acceptable sound quality. I come from an old mac, where the sound was terrific. What's problematic:I've tried various equalisers in Win 11 including Boom,...
  4. Phone Link sound quality poor, stutters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link sound quality poor, stutters: I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 that I've linked with Phone Link on my new Win11 computer. I got it to link ok, and I can access my phone for apps and to make phone calls. But when I play audio on the phone, I can only hear it from the phone speaker, not the pc. I was able to get...
  5. Phone Link sound quality poor, stutters

Phone Link sound quality poor, stutters: I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 that I've linked with Phone Link on my new Win11 computer. I got it to link ok, and I can access my phone for apps and to make phone calls. But when I play audio on the phone, I can only hear it from the phone speaker, not the pc. I was able to get...
  6. AIRPODS PRO BAD SOUND QUALITY W11

AIRPODS PRO BAD SOUND QUALITY W11: YOUR MIC MAY NEED SHUT OFF. IF THIS DOESN’T SOLVE IT, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND ENSURE THAT THE MICROPHONE IS NOT ACTIVATED AND THEN TEST SOUND. I may be late to the party. Regardless, I am a new owner of a Windows 11 equipped computer and, while attempting to use my AirPods...
  7. AIRPODS PRO BAD SOUND QUALITY W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AIRPODS PRO BAD SOUND QUALITY W11: YOUR MIC MAY NEED SHUT OFF. IF THIS DOESN’T SOLVE IT, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND ENSURE THAT THE MICROPHONE IS NOT ACTIVATED AND THEN TEST SOUND. I may be late to the party. Regardless, I am a new owner of a Windows 11 equipped computer and, while attempting to use my AirPods...
  8. why does the sound quality drop when i switch the audio input device to my headphone

why does the sound quality drop when i switch the audio input device to my headphone: Hello, when i try and use my headphone's microphone on a video game or discord i havent had a need to use it elsewhere, the sound quality becomes terrible. It's only when i try and use the built in microphone to the laptop that the sound quality isnt awful, however, the mic...
  9. why does the sound quality drop when i switch the audio input device to my headphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does the sound quality drop when i switch the audio input device to my headphone: Hello, when i try and use my headphone's microphone on a video game or discord i havent had a need to use it elsewhere, the sound quality becomes terrible. It's only when i try and use the built in microphone to the laptop that the sound quality isnt awful, however, the mic...
  10. Bluetooth speaker is recognised as Headphones and the sound quality is bad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth speaker is recognised as Headphones and the sound quality is bad.: Browsed the Internet for quite a while but couldn't find any fixes on this issue...apparently it is because the Bluetooth speaker has a mic so it is identified as "Handsfree Headphones"... I have done some basic methods and troubleshooting like reinstalling drivers or...