Windows 10: Sound quit working, Again?

Discus and support Sound quit working, Again? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I posted about this before, but once again my sound quit working. Last night when I shut down my computer it was working, this morning when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeHawthorne, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Sound quit working, Again?

Hi

I posted about this before, but once again my sound quit working.

Last night when I shut down my computer it was working, this morning when I booted up it wasn't.
    I restarted a couple of times (which has worked before when this happened sometimes) but no luck.

Everything says it's working Device Manager, the Sounds Panel all say there is sound but I don't hear any.

I restored my last System Image from the day before yesterday and the sound is back up and working.

I have no idea what makes it stop, or why it doesn't show that it isn't working any place, when I run the test, it indicates that the speakers are playing but no sound comes out.

This is the third time I've had to restore because of this problem.

I never had this happen in Windows 8 so somehow this is related to something in Windows 10, I just don't have any idea what.

Mike

:)

MikeHawthorne, Nov 3, 2014
  2. Dave AF Win User

Sound quit working after updates

Speaker on monitor works when connected to a laptop, but doesn't work when connected to desktop. Seems like there could be issue with the hdmi plug on the desktop. Green plug on cpu does produce sound, but hdmi does not produce sound.

Dave AF, Nov 3, 2014
  3. Sound quit working after updates

Hi Dave,

For us to better assist you with your issue, just to verify, is the speaker of the curved monitor is not working? Have you tried to download and install the latest drivers on the manufacturer of your monitor?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Nov 3, 2014
  4. Mystere Win User

Sound quit working, Again?

Did you try muting and unmuting it? I have found that some devices (and Soundblasters were notorious for this) would sometimes get stuck in a mute state, and you have to physical mute and unmute them to make them work.

If that's not it, make sure select and unselect other input channels, since sometimes mic or line inputs can override the outputs.

Mystere, Nov 3, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Have you tired reinstalling the sound card drivers?? I found that with new versions of Windows Soundblaster drivers were a bit unstable.

BunnyJ, Nov 3, 2014
  6. Hi

I've intentionally not updated the sound drivers because they gave my problems when I did it in Windows 8.

I did try muting and unmuting.

I'd like to find a way to fix this when it happens without having to restore my system image.

The next time it happens I'll try uninstalling my sound card and reinstalling it.
    I haven't tried that yet.

Otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Nov 3, 2014
  7. Mystere Win User
    Creative drivers have always been problematic... I remember way back when Windows 2000 first came out, the drivers installed so many registry entries, it actually broke the registry.

They make good hardware, but their drivers have always been flaky.

Mystere, Nov 4, 2014
  8. badrobot Win User

Mike, instead of restoring image did you try uninstalling and installing back the audio driver instead?

badrobot, Nov 4, 2014
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    I totally agree. When I had Vista the drivers were an issue until Creative updated them.
    And the same thing happened with Win7.

I would try to reinstall them.. but that's just me.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 4, 2014
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Re-seating the sound card might help but I really would try installing the drivers again. It's not working now.. what harm can it do??

BunnyJ, Nov 4, 2014
  11. Hi Bunnyj

My only problem is that I can't find anyplace to get the drivers I have installed.
    When I go to Creatives site they say no such drivers exist, and I can't find a place to download them from Microsoft.

If I update to the Creative drivers I get a whole new batch of problems.

I don't want to use the update drivers button because I'm afraid I'll get the new drivers from Creative which don't work.

In Windows 7 there was a folder that had my drivers in it, clearly marked.
    I can't find that in Windows 10.

What I will do next time is uninstall my sound card in device manager and reboot, and see if that makes the sound restart.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Nov 4, 2014
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Now that suck Mike.
    I'm amazed that Creative doesn't have the drivers for your sound card.. but then I've had issues with them in the past.
    Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 4, 2014
  13. hawkman Win User

Hi Mike,
    Is there anything in the power options section for creative,
    like turn off creative after XXX

Roy

hawkman, Nov 5, 2014
  14. Hi

I've made some progress, my sound still quits working periodically for apparently no reason but now just rebooting seems to fix it.

That's a lot better then having to restore from a backup. LOL

Creative does have drivers for my sound card, the problem is that when I install them my sound becomes distorted, in a very strange way.

It plays most sounds fine, but voices and sounds in games become distorted or garbled.

I first ran into this when updating to Windows 8.1

Here is the weird thing, I have videos that I have made long ago, if I play them the music in them plays fine but the voices are distorted in the same file, that plays fine with the old drivers.

How can it distort only part of the sound?

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Nov 13, 2014
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    Ok.. have you tried using the sound part of your motherboard?? It might just work better than the sound you're getting now.

Just a shot at the dark. *Confused

Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 13, 2014
Thema:

1. Sound quit working, Again? - Similar Threads - Sound quit working

2. Mouse quits working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse quits working: All of a sudden my mouse quits working. When I hut down some times it works when I restart and sometimes not. I a, trying a different USB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-quits-working/f4156f43-eeee-4531-af53-0b77f46338de
  3. Mouse quits working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse quits working: All of a sudden my mouse quits working. When I hut down some times it works when I restart and sometimes not. I a, trying a different USB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-quits-working/f4156f43-eeee-4531-af53-0b77f46338de
  4. bluetooth quit working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluetooth quit working: i have a Lanova laptop that is less than a year old that had bluetooth when I bought it. A couple days ago it just quit working for no apparent reason. It still shows up in my settings but when I try to use it nothing works. The troubleshooter tells me my computer is not...
  5. Monitor quit working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor quit working: I had an extra monitor plugged in for months, then it just went black and read "Input Not Supported". I checked the display settings and accidentally clicked the "just show on monitor 2", now both screens are black when plugged into each other. Help please! The computer and...
  6. sound quit working

in Windows 10 Customization
    sound quit working: windows 10 new user, sound quit working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-quit-working/aa387d8c-879e-40ff-8be1-2adcf203c7d7
  7. sound stopped working again

sound stopped working again: same thing as from my earlier thread - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-stops-on-headphones-when-pc-goes-to-sleep/1966d912-7244-4388-a1c2-50612232b732 not sure what to try now...
  8. sound devices quit working after windows 10 update

sound devices quit working after windows 10 update: I have a Windows 10 computer (an Intel NUC) with built-in sound (Realtek) and an external USB-driver D/A convertor (essentially a USB sound card). Some time after an update (although I'm not sure these incidents are related), my sound control panel now shows "no output...
  9. Dropbox Sounds won't quit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dropbox Sounds won't quit: I'm moving some photos around in my Dropbox and it rings at me every time I make a change. I've disabled notifications in Dropbox settings. I've disabled Dropbox notifications in Windows 10 notifications. I've even muted the sound on my laptop. This does not...
  10. Sound quit working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound quit working?: Hi Last night my sound just quit working. I went through everything and they all said that my sound was working correctly, but no sound came out. Rebooted still the same thing, checked all my plugs, Device Manager, tested etc. No sound. All dialogs said this device...