Windows 10: Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers

Discus and support Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Using Windows 11 on an ACER laptop. Drivers are all up to date, everything is patched. I have audio going through to my HDMI connection to my monitor,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jaye Sunsurn, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers

Using Windows 11 on an ACER laptop. Drivers are all up to date, everything is patched. I have audio going through to my HDMI connection to my monitor, under system > sound > Choose where to play sound, I set it to play through HDMI. Now with some regularity it will 'forget' that there is an HDMI connection at all under "Choose where to play sound" HDMI is no longer an option, despite the menu being displayed on my HDMI connected monitor and so it will come out of the laptop speakers instead. What usually fix it is unplugging the HDMI Cable and replugging it back in. Annoying that Win

:)

Jaye Sunsurn, Jun 16, 2022
  2. fireberd Win User

No sound through laptop speakers, hdmi and headphones work

"Speakers" (e.g. Realtek High Definition Audio") have to be set as default playback device to get PC speakers to work.

Here is mine:

Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers [​IMG]

fireberd, Jun 16, 2022
  3. kevfas Win User
    no sound through hdmi to tv

this doesn't work there are no devices showing only the speakers there are none hidden or disabled

kevfas, Jun 16, 2022
  4. Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers

no sound through hdmi to tv

Hi,

The HDMI might not be set as default. To set this as default please follow these steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Choose Sound.
    • Select Change system sounds.
    • Click Playback.
    • Then select the device.
    • At the bottom, click Set Default.
    • Click Apply and OK.

If the troubleshooting steps above did not work for you, try changing a different HDMI cable.

Keep us updated with the result.

Robert Caw, Jun 16, 2022
Thema:

Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers

1. Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers - Similar Threads - Sound settings forget

2. Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI: Hi y'all,So, my Dell Laptop seems to "forget" it is connected FOR SOUND to my TV, via HDMI. Oh, the visual side of HDMI is perfect, and the wireless keyboard and mouse operate the laptop via the TV perfectly...from the comfort of the sofa, but when I play any audio, it STILL...
  3. Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI: Hi y'all,So, my Dell Laptop seems to "forget" it is connected FOR SOUND to my TV, via HDMI. Oh, the visual side of HDMI is perfect, and the wireless keyboard and mouse operate the laptop via the TV perfectly...from the comfort of the sofa, but when I play any audio, it STILL...
  4. Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound settings will forget HDMI exists and default to laptop speakers: Using Windows 11 on an ACER laptop. Drivers are all up to date, everything is patched. I have audio going through to my HDMI connection to my monitor, under system > sound > Choose where to play sound, I set it to play through HDMI. Now with some regularity it will 'forget'...
  6. Laptop Speakers not showing in sound settings at all

Laptop Speakers not showing in sound settings at all: I have updated my computer which is a MSI GL73 8RD. Update failed on 1/29/2021, and retried update and then my speakers were not listed at all. [ATTACH]...
  7. HDMI sound through laptop

HDMI sound through laptop: How do I set HDMI as default sound? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-sound-through-laptop/eaafec98-6521-4397-9486-6b28a2d09bd8
  8. Laptop speakers aren't default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop speakers aren't default: It's a lenovo thinkpad p50 speakers don't work, only the headphones, and you can see in the properties that it gives jack information, which suggests to me that the headphones are default, and the speakers are being ignored. i was running linux mint 19.3 previous to this...
  9. Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch

Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch: I have two screens, one LCD and one HDMI TV screen. They are setup to as an extended large screen, so I can move my video player from one to the other by the mouse. I would like to set up, so that when I play video one the LCD screen, the sound played from the speaker, and...
  10. Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch

in Windows 10 Support
    Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch: I have two screens, one LCD and one HDMI TV screen. They are setup to as an extended large screen, so I can move my video player from one to the other by the mouse. I would like to set up, so that when I play video one the LCD screen, the sound played from the speaker, and...