Windows 10: Sound Volume Control stopped working in Windows 10

Discus and support Sound Volume Control stopped working in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Have had windows 10 for well over a year now and haven't done any updates recently (haven't been notified of any available either). Powered down my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by L.E.S., Mar 8, 2019.

1. L.E.S. Win User

Sound Volume Control stopped working in Windows 10

Hi, Have had windows 10 for well over a year now and haven't done any updates recently (haven't been notified of any available either). Powered down my desktop and when I booted back up, the little sound "horn" icon in the bottom right corner of the taskbar seems to be dead. When I used to left click on it, there would be a small popup window with a volume control bar and I'd be able to mute, increase or decrease the volume. Now, I click (left or right) and nothing happens.

However, the sound still works at the volume it was set at when I shut down the computer.

So I rebooted a couple times, didn't help. Went into the Settings/System/Sound screen and at first, I was not able to move the volume bar there either. The little bar was actually gray. So I ran the Windows troubleshoot program using the link on that sound page and while it came up with noting useful, it did unlock the volume bar on that sound page (bar turned blue) and I was able to change the volume. When I got out of settings and went back in, the volume bar was again locked and only unlocked when I ran the troubleshoot program again...

Any ideas on how to get my taskbar icon to work again?

:)

L.E.S., Mar 8, 2019

2. volume control error

Hi Akash,

The issue with volume control could have happened due to the corrupted or outdated driver. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the 2 methods below:

Method 1: Run the Audio Troubleshooter on the system.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. We would suggest you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key+X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view as an option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter

Method 2. Uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.

Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.
    • Right-click on the Sound card and click on Uninstall.
    • Install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know the result for us to assist you further.

Anthony Gal, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    Volume control not working

Thank you for the feedback. If the first solution did not work for you, we suggest you disable the enhancements on the sound and see if it helps. Simply follow the steps provided below.

• Click Start menu and type Sound and hit enter
    • Select the Playback tab and then right-click on the Speakers and select Properties.
    • Go to Enhancements tab and uncheck Disable all sound effects.
    • Uncheck the immediate mode on top of the list.

If you require any further information, feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Mar 8, 2019
  4. Sound Volume Control stopped working in Windows 10

No sound and unable to control volume on Windows 10.

Hi Minas,

The above issue might occur due to the following reasons:

• Corrupted/missing system files & folders.

• Sound drivers non-updated or incompatible.

• Sound settings disabled on the PC.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Did you check if sound settings are disabled on the PC?

• Did you try updating the sound drivers?

Due to some of the third party applications installed sound settings will be disabled on the PC. Check if the settings are set appropriately by following the steps below:

• Right click on the volume icon, located at the bottom right corner of the PC and select
      Playback devices from the context menu.

• Click on the device located in the window and click on
      Properties.

• Click on Levels tab from the window and check if the volume icon is disabled.

• If yes, click on the icon to enable the settings and check if the changes are effective.

If the issue persists, update the audio drivers by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Device manager from the context menu.

• Expand Sound, video and game controller option and check if the speaker drivers are installed.

• If yes, right click on the driver and select
      Update this software
      from the context menu.

• Follow the on-screen instructions and wait till the drivers are updated.

• After the update is complete, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

• If the issue persists, download and install the latest and most compatible sound drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check if the changes are effective.

Refer to the link below on Fix sound problems and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Write to us with the status of the sound issue experienced on the PC in the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Sound Volume Control stopped working in Windows 10

1. Sound Volume Control stopped working in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sound Volume Control

2. Volume control completely stopped working(Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume control completely stopped working(Windows 10): As the title says my audio control stopped working. I can control the volume of something like YouTube or Netflix but my windows audio control doesn't work at all! I press mute and the volume is still on. I am using a SteelSeires Arctics 7P headset(the white one with the blue...
  3. Volume control stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume control stops working: Hi yall,I have a problem with the volume control on the taskbar that stops working. It is then only possible to configure the output sound using settings.I have restarted the windows audio service and ran the sound troubleshooter.Have also rebooted.Please help,Carl...
  4. Volume control stops working

Volume control stops working: Hi yall,I have a problem with the volume control on the taskbar that stops working. It is then only possible to configure the output sound using settings.I have restarted the windows audio service and ran the sound troubleshooter.Have also rebooted.Please help,Carl...
  5. Windows 10 No Sound, No Volume Control

Windows 10 No Sound, No Volume Control: For the last week or two, Windows 10 has no sound and no way to control the volume. No way to adjust the volume. The volume control simply doesn't work. The volume control slider doesn't even appear when I click it!!!If I restart my PC, the problem will go away, but after a...
  6. Windows 10 No Sound, No Volume Control

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 No Sound, No Volume Control: For the last week or two, Windows 10 has no sound and no way to control the volume. No way to adjust the volume. The volume control simply doesn't work. The volume control slider doesn't even appear when I click it!!!If I restart my PC, the problem will go away, but after a...
  7. Windows 10 No Sound, No Volume Control

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. PC volume controls stopped working after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC volume controls stopped working after Windows 10 update: I am working on a Surface Pro Tablet. I just updated windows. Now, when I am listening to any media, the sound controls do not work at all. Symptoms below: 1 Plugged into PC speakers I have not tried headphones no sound comes out of the speakers but comes directly from...
  9. Volume control will not work in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume control will not work in Windows 10: speaker icon no longer works after recent update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-control-will-not-work-in-windows-10/6c78fc02-5eb9-4e8b-bd79-99d23189d06b
  10. Volume control stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume control stopped working: Normally, with Windows 10, if I use the slider and turn off the Volume in my taskbar, if I play a video or whatever, I cannot hear anything. But lately all of a sudden, even if the Volume Control is off, the sound is still on if I do anything on my computer, which is not good...