Windows 10: Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input

Discus and support Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Had a weird issue pop up. I've been using both a focusrite saffire 6 soundcard to use to live stream with OBS for a couple of years with no issues. All... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David Hawkins2, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input

Had a weird issue pop up. I've been using both a focusrite saffire 6 soundcard to use to live stream with OBS for a couple of years with no issues. All of a sudden the soundcard input now sounds like its coming from a microphone however its not picking up speaking / clapping etcI'm getting a line input from the soundcard in obs which is from the soundcard, if i vary the instrument playing it varies the sound level accordingly. It does not pick up sound from the laptop microphone at all, but it doesnt sound good.If i turn off the microphone on the keypad, it turns off the soundcard input.I have

:)

David Hawkins2, Mar 23, 2023
  2. devilish Win User

Soundcard & Microphone Input Problems

Hi

I've got a problem with this and it's driving me nuts. Literally.

At the moment i've got a new Soundblaster Z, and a Rode Podcaster (USB) microphone. I do DJ'ing through winamp, SAM and the like - but as it stands I cannot play music and speak at the same time live.

I know this is an input problem, but I don't know how to solve it! I had a similar issue on an old laptop I had with an external USB X-fi, but this one doesn't want to know at all. I think i've tried everything.

In "Recording" in the Sound options i've got:
    - Rode Podcaster (Microphone) (default communication device)
    - Microphone (Soundblaster Z)
    - Digital In
    - What you hear (default device).

Normally What you hear is what it should be, as everything will play through it. But now it doesn't. They will both play independent of one another when either the Mic, or What you Hear is selected as default, but not as one.

There is a cable connected between the microphone (headphone socket) and the Mic/Line in socket on the Soundblaster Z, as well as being plugged into the USB.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to get them working together again?

Thanks!

devilish, Mar 23, 2023
  3. wstewlYV Win User
    Line level audio not accepted as a "microphone" input

Hi Greg -

Thank you for the quick reply!

I do understand the differences in signal levels. The references you provided explain the different levels, but do not address my question.

My problem lies in the internal connections the OS provides.

I want to use a specific program that is looking for a microphone input.

I use an external preamp to boost the microphone signal up to an instrument level, which allows me to use a switch to select between the 'mike' input and other higher level inputs before it gets routed into my audio interface to the PC.

The program I want to use doesn't see the input from my audio interface as a 'mike' input.

Any program that works with 'mike' inputs must be relying on the motherboard or soundcard to have already amplified the 'mike' signal to a level it can work with. I don't believe the programs are working with the low level microphone output signal.

I want to be clear here - I am not suggesting putting the amplified microphone signal into a "microphone" input on the PC. In fact I have turned off the internal motherboard sound system, because I use a high quality audio interface to bring audio into the PC on a USB line.

So it is a question of internal routing. How can I get a boosted 'mike' input found on a 'instrument' level input line to be accepted as speech by a program?

wstewlYV, Mar 23, 2023
  4. LeoKC Win User

Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input

Headphone input not working

My microphone input doesnt work no matter what, i use microphones from headsets and earbuds, none of them work, not even the computer's built in mic. The only time my microphone works is in settings where it shows the amount of audio being inputted, can someone help?

LeoKC, Mar 23, 2023
Thema:

Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input

1. Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input - Similar Threads - Soundcard input somehow

2. Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input: Had a weird issue pop up. I've been using both a focusrite saffire 6 soundcard to use to live stream with OBS for a couple of years with no issues. All of a sudden the soundcard input now sounds like its coming from a microphone however its not picking up speaking / clapping...
  3. Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Soundcard input somehow linked to Microphone - doesnt get "clean" input from soundcard input: Had a weird issue pop up. I've been using both a focusrite saffire 6 soundcard to use to live stream with OBS for a couple of years with no issues. All of a sudden the soundcard input now sounds like its coming from a microphone however its not picking up speaking / clapping...
  4. No microphone input

in Windows 10 Customization
    No microphone input: Hi Windows Experts,i have an issue on my microphone input i am using my headphonesony XB900N when i connecting it via wired mode there is no microphone input but there is audio output. i also tried audio card adapter but my issue still the same kindly see my settings below...
  5. App Audio Output somehow linked to Microphone Input Levels

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App Audio Output somehow linked to Microphone Input Levels: Adjusting the volume of an app also adjusts the input levels of the microphone in Windows Sound Mixer, when that app listens for a microphone. How do I break this relation? I want to adjust the output volume of apps to my desired levels whenever I want in the mixer*, without...
  6. App Audio Output somehow linked to Microphone Input Levels

in Windows 10 Customization
    App Audio Output somehow linked to Microphone Input Levels: Adjusting the volume of an app also adjusts the input levels of the microphone in Windows Sound Mixer, when that app listens for a microphone. How do I break this relation? I want to adjust the output volume of apps to my desired levels whenever I want in the mixer*, without...
  7. App Audio Output somehow linked to Microphone Input Levels

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Microphone input

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone input: I can not turn on the external microphone input on my new ASUS running windows 10 64 bit. Realtek does not recognize that a microphone is present when I plug in the proper plug. Do I need to download a new driver? I can not get any help from Microsoft or ASUS....
  9. No Microphone Input

No Microphone Input: So I just got my computer (built myself if that matters), and I can't get any microphones to work. I've tried the front and back microphone ports with multiple pairs of earbuds, as well as a USB headset. None of them work, but a little bit of static is input and recorded...
  10. Soundcard & Microphone Input Problems

Soundcard & Microphone Input Problems: Hi I've got a problem with this and it's driving me nuts. Literally. At the moment i've got a new Soundblaster Z, and a Rode Podcaster (USB) microphone. I do DJ'ing through winamp, SAM and the like - but as it stands I cannot play music and speak at the same time live....