Windows 10: Sounds issues with external monitor and 2 displays - have sound to start, keeps cutting out

Discus and support Sounds issues with external monitor and 2 displays - have sound to start, keeps cutting out in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, hoping for some help on this and hoping this is the appropriate forum to ask this. I had no idea what category to put this in, sorry if it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Maria#P, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Maria#P Win User

Sounds issues with external monitor and 2 displays - have sound to start, keeps cutting out

Hi, hoping for some help on this and hoping this is the appropriate forum to ask this. I had no idea what category to put this in, sorry if it's wrong. This does also involve a 3rd party program called Five9. I work from home taking inbound customer calls and Five9 is the virtual phone system my company uses for that.

I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10. For work, I hook up an external monitor and keyboard and use it like a desktop; don't use the laptop at all other than to be the brains of the whole thing. Have never had an issue with sound or Five9, everything has already worked great. Recently switched over to a newer Dell laptop, had some issues right off the bat, had to do a clean Win10 install. Since then, I've been having this sound issue.

The set up wasn't working at all how I had it before, nor would it work using just the laptop itself. After DAYS of troubleshooting, I realized I was losing sound from Five9 when I would leave the Five9 window and try to work in another window. So I hooked everything back up through my laptop but did 2 displays, laptop as main where Five9 where the calls/sound come in would run in its window, and then the external monitor as display 2 where other apps would be where I would do actual orders and stuff. These other apps are apps I have to access via a remote desktop, through my company, so maybe that's a factor...

At first I thought this solved it. Calls coming in fine, I can hear them, and I can hear them even while working in the other apps in the other display, but only up until those screens change. Once I enter info and move from the main screen to another screen, I lose Five9 again.

My company is looking into this but I'm not getting a lot of timely help and I cannot work until this is resolved so as you might imagine, I'm pretty keen to solve this because it's affecting my pay. I don't know what to do at this point. Is it a driver or registry issue...something corrupted or not as it should be because of the new install?

Any help greatly appreciated, as always. Thank you!

Maria

:)

Maria#P, Mar 28, 2020

2. dual monitors stops sound

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• When will the sound disable, when playing through main monitor or the extended monitor?
    • Did you try enabling the sound from the sound drivers and check if it helps?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    This issue causes because the monitor automatically takes the HDMI sound as the Default input. Disable and enable the speakers and check if it helps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the volume control and then
      Properties
    • When you connect the HDMI it becomes the default output device, even though it has no speakers.
    • You need to change this back to "Speakers" and set as default.

Sounds issues with external monitor and 2 displays - have sound to start, keeps cutting out [​IMG]

Hope this helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Rhina Vib Win User
    No sound when connected to external monitor

Hi Bill,

To fix this issue, you can try the steps below:

• Plug in both ends of the HDMI without the laptop on.
    • Turn the external monitor on and set to HDMI screen.
    • Boot up your laptop from a shutdown position (not restart).
    • Your laptop will now recognize the external monitor and will acknowledge its presence.
    • Right-click the speaker icon on the task bar and choose
      View Volume Controls.
    • Set TV as default.
    • Click Apply, then click Ok.
    You can also refer to the article in this
    link
    to help fix sound problems.

Let us know how it goes.

Rhina Vib, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Sounds issues with external monitor and 2 displays - have sound to start, keeps cutting out

external sound lost

I have been trying your suggestion. Unplugged device (speakers) and plugged back in. A pop-up window read "you just plugged a device into the audio jack". reads Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Checked the ^ and it lists 2 things: Speaker/ Headphones which when clicked no sound at all. The other is Dell S2415H (Intel(R) Display Audio) which seems to be the monitor speaker. Not much sound comes through even at 90 setting.

I believe what I did was went to settings. Clicked on devices. went to Audio and not knowing the ramifications removed the "external speakers" which I have no idea what they were listed as.

RobertCarlyle1, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Sounds issues with external monitor and 2 displays - have sound to start, keeps cutting out

1. Sounds issues with external monitor and 2 displays - have sound to start, keeps cutting out - Similar Threads - Sounds issues external

2. Sound cuts out constantly!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound cuts out constantly!!!: Windows 11 home, watching youtube or other videos. The sound randomly stops, especially when I have it running then I goto another application or tab. The only way I can fix it is to reload the sound driver via the trouble shooting. This is the most annoying thing I have ever...
  3. Sound cuts out constantly!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound cuts out constantly!!!: Windows 11 home, watching youtube or other videos. The sound randomly stops, especially when I have it running then I goto another application or tab. The only way I can fix it is to reload the sound driver via the trouble shooting. This is the most annoying thing I have ever...
  4. System Sounds Cut Out After 2 Seconds

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Sounds Cut Out After 2 Seconds: Hi all,This one is a bit unique. On all of my previous Windows machines, I use custom sounds in place of the default beeps and bops for system sounds program error, critical stop, etc. In the past I recall having to set it to "play sounds longer than 2 seconds" in order for...
  5. airpods sound cutting out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    airpods sound cutting out: I've started using my airpods on my laptop and the sound cuts out at random times, usually about ever 30 minutes but it can happen at any time. The airpods are still connected to windows but they aren't playing any sound and they dont show up in the playback devices. I'm...
  6. Sound cutting in and out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound cutting in and out: The sound on my pc is cutting and out for half a second every few seconds. This only happens when I have a video game open. Can someone give me an easy to understand solution to this problem? I have already gone in and updates all my drivers and have tried deleting and...
  7. Sound cutting in and out

Sound cutting in and out: The sound on my pc keeps cutting in and out. No matter where the sound is coming from headset, speakers, etc. it cuts out for half a second every few seconds. This only occurs when I'm playing games though, when watching movies or chatting with friends it never happens. Can...
  8. Sound is constantly cutting in and out.

Sound is constantly cutting in and out.: So around a month ago, I turned my PC on to find that the audio is constantly cutting in and out on BOTH MY HEADSET AND SPEAKERS. I've listed this problem under devices and drivers, but I am fairly certain it is not a problem with my drivers. Every driver on my PC is up to...
  9. Sound cuts out randomly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound cuts out randomly: Hello, Sometimes all my audio cuts out randomly, however my microphone still works. So far going to my sounds, enhancements, and toggling the "disable all enhancements" and applying that fixes it, but it is annoying and I would like for this to just stop occurring...
  10. Sound cuts out intermittently

Sound cuts out intermittently: Hi, Since installing Windows 10, the sound will cut out every so often, usually while watching a video on YouTube or I've downloaded. If I reboot the sound works. I notice that I can't left click on the the task bar when this happens. To reboot I need to right click on the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. five9 flickering issues