Windows 10: Space on a fat32 formatted external drive

Discus and support Space on a fat32 formatted external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have a 750Gb external drive that was originally NTFS. Windows shows it as 698Gb. I formatted it to fat32 yesterday, and now windows reads it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wesley27, Mar 11, 2016.

1. wesley27 Win User

Space on a fat32 formatted external drive

Hello, I have a 750Gb external drive that was originally NTFS. Windows shows it as 698Gb. I formatted it to fat32 yesterday, and now windows reads it as 185Gb. In disk manager, as you can see in the screenshot link (from remote desktop) that I have below, disk manager shows the whole drive as one partition that's 698Gb. However, disk manager says in the list of disks above the partitions that the capacity is 185Gb.

https://i.imgur.com/38Ijf9D.jpg

Why is this happening? Is the 698 or 185 correct?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:)

wesley27, Mar 11, 2016

2. Recovering lost data from Windows installation USB

Hi,

I created a bootable windows 10 installation USB on 1 TB external drive and I lost important files in the process. The external disk drive was NTFS before being formatted to FAT32, and most of the space is gone.

Is there a tool that re-allocated the lost space and recovers the lost files from the external disk drive?

Thanks

Zohair2911, Mar 11, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Udpdate

Maybe read this;

To upgrade a computer to Windows 10, it requires 16 GB of free hard drive space for a 32-bit OS, and 20 GB for a 64-bit OS. If there is not enough space, attempt to
    free up drive space before proceeding with the upgrade.

Note: If your device allows it, you can use an external USB drive for the upgrade process. Windows setup will back up the previous version of Windows to a USB external drive. The external drive must be at least 8GB (16GB is recommended). The external
    drive should be formatted using NTFS. Drives that are formatted in FAT32 may run into errors due to FAT32 file size limitations. USB drives are preferred over SD cards because drivers for SD cards are not migrated if the device does not support
    Connected Standby.

'Mike P, Mar 11, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

CountMike, Mar 11, 2016
  5. wesley27 Win User
    I already saw that article, in fact, I used fat32 format (listed in that article) to format my drive. The whole drive is. A single partition and was formatted to fat32, or at least I believe so. Look at my screenshot, disk manager shows one big 698Gb fat32 partition. I'm wondering why windows thinks that the whole drive only has a capacity of 185Gb, when the partition reader in disk manager says its 698?

And will this effect my use of the disk?

Also, why isn't it closer to 750gb, like it should be?

wesley27, Mar 11, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Unless you have a special reason to use Fat32 (e.g. compatibility with an Android device). I would format the disk in NTFS.

7. wesley27 Win User
    Its for booting and running a Debian Linux os.

wesley27, Mar 11, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Understand, although Linux supports NTFS also. I would just ignore the 185GB number. I see no rationale explanation for that.

9. wesley27 Win User
    Alright, thanks.

Well I had it as NTFS originally and i extracted the iso to the external disk as a bootable. However, when I tried to boot from the external drive it said no operating system found. So I did some searching and read in a few places that it needed to be on a fat32 drive. So I formatted it to fat32 and am trying to boot from that now.

This has been a long and frustrating process, trying to get it to boot from the external drive. I can boot from a CD but I want the os installed on the drive. Maybe it would be better to load the os in a CD and then install it to the external from there?

wesley27, Mar 11, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    If there is "no operating system found" that means that you either have no active disk or no functioning bootmgr.

11. Drone69 Win User
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Install package ntfs-3g on your Linux OS - then you can read / write NTFS files.

You might find it's already installed in Debian. If it isn't simply install.

Then you can manually mount NTFS volumes as READ /WRITE

sudo mount /dev/sdx -t ntfs -o rw /yourdir

(Or use fstab for automatic mount at boot / SAMBA for share etc etc etc).

If you are Native booting the OS (i.e dual boot) the Linux partition will need to have a recognised file system - on my CENTOS system I use XFS, but ext3/4 is also good.

So the following :

1) Install Linux on your HDD - set partition size(s) at install - don't forget swap partition too.
    2) Leave rest of space as NTFS - create Primary partition
    3) install package ntfs-3g on the Linux OS if not already installed
    4) boot OS
    5) mount Windows NTFS partition -- this will show up as either /dev/sdx or /dev/hdx in Linux

Job done.

(The Linux Boot manager GRUB will present Windows and Linux if you have Windows on the same HDD. Rather than dual boot from the same HDD - why not simply in the BIOS choose which HDD you want to boot from and have the OS'es on separate HDD's.
    Note you can still access all the NTFS partitions from the Linux OS provided the ntfs-3g package is installed).

An even easier solution is to decide which OS is your main OS and run the other one as a Virtual Machine !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 12, 2016
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

Why not using a supported Linux filesystem if you are going to use Linux (EXT2, EXT3, Reiser, whatever)?

eLPuSHeR, Mar 12, 2016
  14. Berton Win User
    I recently had need for a 250GB HDD [in a portable case] for a Mac OS X computer that could also be used on a Windows PC. I used a small free program called GPARTED, a downloaded .iso file used to create a bootable CD which runs a version of Linux to partition and format that 250GB to FAT32. Another program I bought can do the same, Spotmau's PowerSuite, but is has a lot more things it can do so has been valuable in things I do.
    GParted -- Download

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Space on a fat32 formatted external drive - Similar Threads - Space fat32 formatted

2. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  3. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  4. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  6. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  7. Unable to format Fat32

Unable to format Fat32: As the subject header eays, I'm unable to format to FAT32.The only choices I have are NTFS & exFAT.Has Microsoft removed the choice to format in FAT16/32 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-format-fat32/22183b77-8591-4731-88da-8c0570ba3f1e
  8. Formatting 64GB USB Drive to FAT32

Formatting 64GB USB Drive to FAT32: Is this possible? I've read many threads. I followed these steps: B1.Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port. 2.Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter. 3.Find Disk Drives and expand it. 4.Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and...
  9. FAT32 Format

FAT32 Format: Since the FAT32 is not an option anymore and there's still tons of devices that only accept FAT32. How can I format memory card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fat32-format/3a899269-48e2-474f-a190-b2c4b5bdf18b
  10. 1 TB hard drive to be formatted in Fat32

1 TB hard drive to be formatted in Fat32: I am trying to set up this drive so I can use it to record movies too. I have windows10 and do not have an option to format the drive. I tried to use AOMEI to format the drive. I have to have the drive set up as FAT32 or it is useless to me....