Windows 10: Spacebar not working

Discus and support Spacebar not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using my on screen keyboard right now since my spacebar is not working at all. This is a desktop and the keyboard is connected via cable. It works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dlore, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Dlore Win User

Spacebar not working

I am using my on screen keyboard right now since my spacebar is not working at all. This is a desktop and the keyboard is connected via cable. It works on other device so I know it is not my physical keyboard. I checked on the spacebar as well to see if there is a damage but none. It is not working for 2 days now and I need to make it work badly today.

:)

Dlore, Dec 4, 2022
  2. AJRich Win User

Windows Key + Spacebar not working

Kathleen

Tried using SFC as you suggested and it went through all the steps successfully, but Windows key + Spacebar still doesn't work.

Looked at the link you gave and I see that one of the posts with a similar problem was using an HP Pavilion - same as me.

But it was the keyboard shortcut was working till the upgrade.

I've not tried Andre's suggestion yet.

AJRich, Dec 4, 2022
  3. spacebar not working after updates

I have the same problem after the Windows 10 update yesterday. Here's what I did to troubleshoot (to no avail):

• rebooted
    • used canned spray
    • pressed "shift" five times to make sure "sticky keys" was not enabled, it wasn't
    • enabled the OSK (onscreen keyboard) and the spacebar does work on it, just not on my laptop
    • pressed spacebar in several places, held it down,
    None of these "fixes" work. Short of getting a wireless keyboard, does anyone have a solution?

This is very frustrating.

AllyRoberts, Dec 4, 2022
  4. 8ighty2wo Win User

Spacebar not working

Spacebar-not-working

For anyone else having this problem, I have to report my own problems with this and what fixed it for me. First off, the problem was on my HP laptop, as with other people experiencing this problem, my spacebar stopped working. I tried a few of the suggestions
    for fixing this problem after doing a quick google search on it but nothing worked. However, I discovered that if I pressed the spacebar down very, very hard it would still sometimes work, which made me realize it was not a driver problem but more of a connection
    problem, somehow.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I finally fixed this issue by applying some mild pressure (with my hand) underneath of my laptop - at the area directly below where the spacebar is. As I pressed the area underneath, I also pressed the spacebar and finally,
    it worked! I don't understand how or why exactly it worked but as soon as the spacebar started working again, I no longer needed to keep applying the pressure from underneath, it has just stayed working ever since. Weird and unexpected, but it worked.

I recommend to anyone experiencing this problem to try this solution first as it's quick and easy and might save you a lot of time and stress. I spent hours searching for solutions and becoming very frustrated before I realized it was a connection issue
    and I guess the button was just not making proper contact with the circuit board underneath. Anyway, by doing this, I must have pressed things back into position.

Hope this helps someone.

8ighty2wo, Dec 4, 2022
Thema:

Spacebar not working

1. Spacebar not working - Similar Threads - Spacebar working

2. In my keyboard CTRL and spacebar keys are not working..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In my keyboard CTRL and spacebar keys are not working..: In my keyboard CTRL and spacebar keys are not working please fix this issue whether it is hardware issue or software issue please confirm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-my-keyboard-ctrl-and-spacebar-keys-are-not/0981b857-431a-4560-a6a7-9a799ede357a
  3. In my keyboard CTRL and spacebar keys are not working..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    In my keyboard CTRL and spacebar keys are not working..: In my keyboard CTRL and spacebar keys are not working please fix this issue whether it is hardware issue or software issue please confirm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-my-keyboard-ctrl-and-spacebar-keys-are-not/0981b857-431a-4560-a6a7-9a799ede357a
  4. In my keyboard CTRL and spacebar keys are not working..

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My keys b/n and spacebar are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keys b/n and spacebar are not working: Done trouble shooting,no breakage... Good as new. Windows 11 dell inspiron 5593 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keys-bn-and-spacebar-are-not-working/1c54df4a-019a-457d-9deb-f236439f410d
  6. My keys b/n and spacebar are not working

My keys b/n and spacebar are not working: Done trouble shooting,no breakage... Good as new. Windows 11 dell inspiron 5593 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keys-bn-and-spacebar-are-not-working/1c54df4a-019a-457d-9deb-f236439f410d
  7. Spacebar on my laptop stopped working-what should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spacebar on my laptop stopped working-what should I do?: This started about a year ago. My spacebar would randomly stop working for days at a time and I would use on screen keyboard. It would sometimes randomly turn on but go off after a while though. Past 6 months it hasn't worked. I had my friend take it to someone and all she...
  8. Spacebar on my laptop stopped working-what should I do?

Spacebar on my laptop stopped working-what should I do?: This started about a year ago. My spacebar would randomly stop working for days at a time and I would use on screen keyboard. It would sometimes randomly turn on but go off after a while though. Past 6 months it hasn't worked. I had my friend take it to someone and all she...
  9. Spacebar on my laptop stopped working-what should I do?

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. When I hold down the control key, the spacebar doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I hold down the control key, the spacebar doesn't work.: I'm on Windows 11 and after quite a bit of research, I can't find much on this topic. The issue only happens when the control key is held down, not the shift or any other key. This happens globally and is not just in one app. Also, I am on the latest drivers for my device....