Windows 10: Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few...

Discus and support Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was spamming taskkill /f /im dwm.exe into the command prompt by repeatedly pressing the up arrow key and enter, it left a blank screen for a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DarwinMurray, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few...

I was spamming taskkill /f /im dwm.exe into the command prompt by repeatedly pressing the up arrow key and enter, it left a blank screen for a few seconds then everything appeared, but not in the windows 10 style for apps that use compatibility vista and later or no compatibility, and a mix between vista basic and 10 vista basic for window borders and caption buttons, and 10 for everything else for the apps running in compatibility for Windows XP Service Pack 3 and earlier, instead, everything displayed in the classic theme and the logitech webcam software i had running in compatibility for Windows XP Service Pack 3 had no title, Windows Explorer didn't seem to be running, as evidenced by the lack of desktop icons, the background being replaced by a solid black color, and the taskbar not showing, then, a few seconds after i tried to open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift+ Esc, everything went black, i can't find any info about how this happened since all the info given in event viewer related to Dwminit was just something along the lines of "The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. Process exit code: 0x00000001, Restart count: X, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER", and errors relating to persdwmsrv said "Service cannot be started. The service process could not connect to the service controller", How did this happen? What causes this anomaly of classic theme everywhere, and metro apps not working? The boot options command prompt just displays everything in the vista basic theme, so why does it break outside the Windows Recovery Environment? I use Windows 10 Home build 19041.vb_release.191206-1406, otherwise known as Version 20H2

:)

DarwinMurray, Feb 7, 2021
  2. Mark Boulder, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Yaron Win User
    Windows Classic Look Theme in Windows 10

Please vote here.

Yaron, Feb 7, 2021
  4. MisterEd Win User

Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few...

Firefox with Classic Theme

Firefox with Classic Theme

Classic Theme Restorer was developed as a direct response to Mozilla refreshing Firefox with the Australis theme release in Firefox 29. Someone called Aris developed the "Classic Theme Restorer for Firefox". Unfortunately "Classic Theme Restorer” stopped working as of Firefox 57.

The death of Classic Theme Restorer for Firefox
    The death of Classic Theme Restorer for Firefox - gHacks Tech News

This was confirmed by Mozilla:
    "The orange Firefox button with a limited set of menu items that was used in Firefox 4.0 up thru Firefox 28.0 versions is gone."

how do you get the orange button upper left corner to appear
    how do you get the orange button upper left corner to appear | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

At first Aris when he found out that "Classic Theme Restorer” no longer worked said he would not spend time to get it working again.

Aris change his mind and came up with a new mod that again allowed customizations like the orange button. He learned that: "The only way to modify ui is adding custom CSS code to userChrome.css and userContent.css files inside browsers profile folder."

GitHub - Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx: Custom CSS tweaks for Firefox Quantum
    (I'm working on this project since Firefox 57

Classic' CSS tweaks for Firefox Quantum (57+)
    List of features available in this project . Issue #2 . Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx . GitHub (full feature list & screenshots)

Release
    Releases . Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx . GitHub

Current download (as of April 11, 2020): custom_css_for_fx_v3.0.7.zip

See the above website for more detailed information about “'Classic' CSS tweaks for Firefox Quantum (57+)”

Here is the basic information needed to use it:

To use the 'Classic' CSS tweaks for Firefox Quantum (57+) modification:
    • Extract download, e.g. “custom_css_for_fx_v3.0.7.zip” into temp folder
    • Navigate to your Firefox profile folder. The folder will look something like:
    C:\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Your_Profile_Name

• Create new folder called Chrome

Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few... [​IMG]

• Open the Chrome folder
    • Copy contents of temp folder into the Chrome folder

Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few... [​IMG]

You can modify the file "userChrome.css" to configure the mod.

So far I have made two changes to "userChrome.css"

Mod #1: Add "orange button" to titlebar (default is no orange button)
    [table][tr][td] /************************************************************************************************/ /* button in Firefox titlebar *******************************************************************/ /************************************************************************************************/ . . . /* -- Fx 74+ (might already work on Fx 73) ******************************************************/ @import "./css/appbutton/appbutton_in_titlebar_fx74.css"; /**/ /* <-- label only */[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Mod 2: Move tabs to below navigation toolbar (default is tabs above navigation toolbar)
    [table][tr][td] /************************************************************************************************/ /* TABS TOOLBAR POSITION (below titlebar / below navigation toolbar / below main content) *******/ /************************************************************************************************/ . . . /* - Fx 74+ Windows/Linux ***********************************************************************/ @import "./css/tabs/tabs_below_navigation_toolbar_fx74.css"; /**/[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Unmodified Firefox (v75.0)

Firefox with 'Classic' CSS tweaks for Firefox Quantum (57+) added

Firefox with 'Classic' CSS tweaks for Firefox Quantum (57+) with my changes

MisterEd, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few...

1. Spam killing desktop window manager causes a classic theme to appear, and after a few... - Similar Threads - Spam killing desktop

2. Window server 2016 classic theme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window server 2016 classic theme: Hi All,Would like to ask how to get the classic theme for window server 2016? my current selection is as pic below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-server-2016-classic-theme/2342dd7a-723d-40b5-abdf-b7326da8d424
  3. Window server 2016 classic theme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window server 2016 classic theme: Hi All,Would like to ask how to get the classic theme for window server 2016? my current selection is as pic below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-server-2016-classic-theme/2342dd7a-723d-40b5-abdf-b7326da8d424
  4. Windows Classic Theme

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Classic Theme: Can you bring back the windows classic theme for windows 10? it would be cool to use the classic theme in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-classic-theme/17947d76-1f56-4052-b1a2-e954cea260e6
  5. Classic theme in Windows 10?

Classic theme in Windows 10?: Sometimes when I open a website in Google Chrome, suddenly it lagged, stopped, and then somehow, for less than 2 seconds, the Window Border UI looked like Windows 7 Basic visual style. I liked it. How to bring it back withoutadditional software???...
  6. windows classic theme

windows classic theme: how can i switch my windows 10 theme to a classic theme , also i don't see "adjust for best performance" under folder option are these options removed are transferred somewhere else win windows 10...
  7. Firefox with Classic Theme

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox with Classic Theme: Firefox with Classic Theme Classic Theme Restorer was developed as a direct response to Mozilla refreshing Firefox with the Australis theme release in Firefox 29. Someone called Aris developed the "Classic Theme Restorer for Firefox". Unfortunately "Classic Theme Restorer”...
  8. Windows 10 - classic theme

Windows 10 - classic theme: Hi, I use Windows 7 and would like to upgrade to Windows 10, but in Windows 10 there is no gray classic theme known from Windows 98, which is still supported on Windows 7. I found some tutorials how to do it on Windows 8 and 10, but none of those were functional. Is there any...
  9. Windows Classic Look Theme in Windows 10

Windows Classic Look Theme in Windows 10: Hello, Is the Windows Classic Look Theme (the theme introduced in Windows 95) included in Windows 10 release version? If not, is there a way to integrate the theme and have it work properly? I assume the Quick Launch bar is still available in Windows 10. Correct?...
  10. Classic Windows Theme

Classic Windows Theme: Is there any way to get the Classic Theme for WinX? I right clicked the desktop and looked under personalize for themes but all I found was high contrast themes. 16137