Windows 10: Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs

Discus and support Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I tried to upgrade my 5yr old Lenovo Y700 with GTX 960m and i7-6700HQ. But due to my ignorance i forgot to disconnect my battery from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by 12targus12, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs

Hi everyone,

I tried to upgrade my 5yr old Lenovo Y700 with GTX 960m and i7-6700HQ.

But due to my ignorance i forgot to disconnect my battery from the motherboard and was changing the thermal paste. I accidentally touched the heat sink on the motherboard and saw a spark at that point. The laptop is turning on and working but whenever i put some load on the laptop i get BSODs with different types of errors.

When in event viewer, i see the same set of actions taking place before the BSOD triggers.

MAYBE the power controllers or VRM of the CPU,GPU on the MB got short.

I also changed the SSD to crucial P1 nVME and upgraded ram by adding a 8GB stick on the same day. Do you think this might be the cause of BSODs?

Generally i experience the BSOD when there is CPU load or while on ZOOM meetings as it uses the integrated GPU of the CPU, while gaming and while loading softwares but the BSODs are infrequent. There are days when they dont happen and sometimes 6-7 times a day.

Another time the BSOD are frequent is while using deluge client.

I have ran the memtest86 and passed 100% with 0 errors. Took 3hr 18min to complete. Do you think i should test anything else?

Also these are the 2 memory stick i am using, do you think if its the problem?

Memory 16217M (18684 MB/s)
    DIMM Slot #0 8GB DDR4 PC4-17000
    (ORIGINAL) SK Hynix / HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF / 2551DA7E
    15-15-15-36 / 2134 MHz / 1.2V

DIMM Slot #1 8GB DDR4 XMP PC4-19200
    (THE ONE I ADDED) Kingston / KHX2400C14S4/8G / C68D2773
    14-14-14-35 / 2400 MHz / 1.200V

- Module density of original is 4096 MB and ranks are 2. (Manufacturer - SK Hynix)

- Module density of the one i added is 8192 MB and ranks is 1. (Manufacturer - Kingston)

Result summary
    Test Start Time 2021-01-29 20:25:05
    Elapsed Time 3:18:47
    Memory Range Tested 0x0 - 480800000 (18440MB)
    CPU Selection Mode Parallel (All CPUs)
    ECC Polling Enabled
    # Tests Passed 48/48 (100%)

This is the sequence of errors in event viewer i see every time after the BSOD. Its named volmgr which i am anticipating to be related to volume manager (memory related) and ACPI is also seen which is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. Do you know if this is something to look for or if this is related somehow?

Can this be a VRM problem, got shorted causing voltage problems?

Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs [​IMG]

I also ran the AIDA64 system stability test for 30min with max stress test to CPU, GPU, RAM. Recorded the temperatures with HWmonitor.

Also a point to be noted that when i launched the 2 software (AIDA64 and HWmonitor) , the system froze and i got BSOD again with error CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

Do i need to reapply thermal paste or recheck the heat sink as these are the recorded temperatures after 30min of stress test:

Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs [​IMG]

I've done some research on the net, but was unable to find any fix or what may be the cause for the same. Can anyone please help me with this issue or help me troubleshoot why this is happening so i can maybe fix it. I would really appreciate it!

:)

12targus12, Jan 30, 2021
  2. ChrisHaEs Win User

BSOD due to DPC_Watchdog_Violation

I have done some of the steps suggested and it seems the BSOD goes away in general but it's still consistently triggered by one activity, downloading via qBitorrrent. It happens consistently, with the same error code, DPC watchdog violation

Here's my new MiniDump file: 012618-31203-01.rar

Are there any more clues as to why this specific application consistently trigger the BSOD? I've tried other similar application like uTorrent but it still triggers BSOD regardless of which application I use.

Thank you again for your help.

ChrisHaEs, Jan 30, 2021
  3. ChrisHaEs Win User
    BSOD due to DPC_Watchdog_Violation

I have done some of the steps suggested and it seems the BSOD goes away in general but it's still consistently triggered by one activity, downloading via qBitorrrent. It happens consistently, with the same error code, DPC watchdog violation

Here's my new MiniDump file: 012618-31203-01.rar

Are there any more clues as to why this specific application consistently trigger the BSOD? I've tried other similar application like uTorrent but it still triggers BSOD regardless of which application I use.

Thank you again for your help.

ChrisHaEs, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs

Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark

Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark, burn risk

Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark, burn risk | PCWorld

Borg 386, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs

1. Spark on laptop motherboard due to ignorance. Getting consistent BSODs - Similar Threads - Spark laptop motherboard

2. Consistently getting BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Consistently getting BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT": Here's some information from NirSoft:Bug Check Code: 0x00000101Parameter 1: 00000000`0000000cParameter 2: 00000000`00000000Parameter 3: ffffe500`70a81180Parameter 4: 00000000`00000008Caused By Driver: ntoskrnl.exeCaused By Address: ntoskrnl.exe+416b00Here's the DUMP File on...
  3. Consistently getting BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Consistently getting BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT": Here's some information from NirSoft:Bug Check Code: 0x00000101Parameter 1: 00000000`0000000cParameter 2: 00000000`00000000Parameter 3: ffffe500`70a81180Parameter 4: 00000000`00000008Caused By Driver: ntoskrnl.exeCaused By Address: ntoskrnl.exe+416b00Here's the DUMP File on...
  4. consistent BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    consistent BSOD: Ive noticed that i have BSOD sometimes while my computer is idle is it because of the RAM? minidump ---- https://www.dropbox.com/s/bija78eo26n9u4r/111421-11187-01.dmp?dl=0please help me so i can do something about that....
  5. consistent BSOD

consistent BSOD: Ive noticed that i have BSOD sometimes while my computer is idle is it because of the RAM? minidump ---- https://www.dropbox.com/s/bija78eo26n9u4r/111421-11187-01.dmp?dl=0please help me so i can do something about that....
  6. getting BSOD and screen freezing consistently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    getting BSOD and screen freezing consistently: I have been getting consistent blue screen's at random intervals while using my computer. And the most confusing part is that there's been a variety of different stop codesdiplay frezesome time goes in blackmy system's event logs : Google DriveMY specs:Acer nitro 5...
  7. getting BSOD and screen freezing consistently

getting BSOD and screen freezing consistently: I have been getting consistent blue screen's at random intervals while using my computer. And the most confusing part is that there's been a variety of different stop codesdiplay frezesome time goes in blackmy system's event logs : Google DriveMY specs:Acer nitro 5...
  8. getting BSOD and screen freezing consistently

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  9. Consistent BSODs

Consistent BSODs: I've gotten a variety of messages, but the most recent were Driver Overran Stack Buffer, System Thread Exception Not Handled, and System Service Exception. I can boot without issues. The BSOD does not seem to be triggered by anything specifically that I can tell. It's...
  10. Consistent BSOD

Consistent BSOD: Hello Over the past month I have had consistent BSOD. It is always when my laptop is idle or screen going black after lack of use. I have tried altering my power settings but to no avail. Downloaded WhoCrashed and there are several dumpfiles with repeating bugcheck names -...