Windows 10: Speaker is muted in Skype

Discus and support Speaker is muted in Skype in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I cannot hear the other person. The speakers work in all other applications. In trying to troubleshoot this I stumbled on a screen that shows whether... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by iamjim, May 12, 2020.

1. iamjim Win User

Speaker is muted in Skype

I cannot hear the other person. The speakers work in all other applications. In trying to troubleshoot this I stumbled on a screen that shows whether the speakers are working in various application. All showed they were except Skype which is grayed out.

Solution?

:)

iamjim, May 12, 2020

2. Windows 10 - Skype for Business - your speaker is muted

This is a solution and not a question - SOLVED!

The other day Skype came up with this maddening message "your speaker is muted":

* Sound works for everything BUT Skype

* Clicking the [unmute] button it shows does not actually unmute the speaker

* Clicking the ((speaker)) icon in a call dialog does not actually unmute the speaker

* Test button [>] in "Audio Devices" dialog does not make the test sound happen

* No audio from anything else Skype-ish

For me the problem was the Skype sound input to the Realtek Audio Mixer was muted. But, you don't see that if you just look at the Taskbar speaker dialog or the default sound dialog:

* Make certain Skype is up

* <right-click> the speaker/sound icon in the taskbar

* [Open Volume Mixer]

You will now see the Skype for Business audio input to the sound mixer. And you should see a red circle on the speaker. Note you really MUST have Skype running or the Skype entry in the mixer dialog does NOT appear.

* Click the speaker - the red dot should disappear

And now your Skype session has audio again.

Have a better day - oh, unless you don't like Skype meetings, which I don't...

The Red Gator in Virginia, May 12, 2020
  3. Cavey Win User
    Skype NOT muting other sounds in Windows 10

I have headphones set as my Default Communication Device, speakers as my Default Device and when communication activity is detected, all other sounds are set to mute.

Using Skype (desktop), on W8.1 this worked fine; on answering a call, the music through the speakers is cut. However, on W10 (both Home and Enterprise) the sound through the speakers is not muted.

Seems to be the exact opposite of the following...

Skype muting other sounds in Windows 10 Pro.

Any ideas?

Cavey, May 12, 2020
  4. tmasierra Win User

How do I mute my internal laptop speakers leaving external speakers on

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie. Windows 10. Incredibly I was innocently dusting my Del laptop keys when my computer sound (usually set on Pandora music) was muted, showing an 'x' over speaker icon on taskbar. Previously I could just click it to get it unmuted. This time it took about two hours of my time. Now I have sound coming out of both my external speakers and my internal speakers, when previously just plugging in my external speakers would mute my internal, or built-in, speakers. Is there any way I can mute my internal speakers without muting my external speakers without spending the rest of the day in troubleshooting, involving detailed examination of my motherboard and countless other steps?
    Thanks for listening!
    tma

tmasierra, May 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Speaker is muted in Skype - Similar Threads - Speaker muted Skype

2. How to fix mute speaker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix mute speaker?: My speaker doesn't work and I don't know why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-mute-speaker/3fd7d379-51cb-44a2-a433-bd6be87e89bf
  3. Bluetooth speaker going mute

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth speaker going mute: For some reason when were I'm watching a video like on youtube and the next video comes on, it goes on mute. I resolve it by having to pause and play. This also happens to my other application like VLC media player. Another thing it does if I have to tabs playing a video and...
  4. Skype mutes all Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Skype mutes all Audio: Hello there, If i use Skype with my Bluetooth headset it mutes all other Audio. I already selected Do nothing in the Communications Tab. Reinstalled Skype and my Audio Drivers as supposed in ohter Solutions. Still the Problem persists. My skype Version is 8.63.0.76....
  5. Speaker icon on mute

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speaker icon on mute: My speaker icon has a red X and speaker setup UNKNOWN and is OFF can't figure out how to turn on! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-on-mute/e9fe8207-57f9-41c4-badd-0dcd907e8134
  6. Speaker automatically mutes sound?

Speaker automatically mutes sound?: Hello Hello, i listen to music via bluetooth with my devil speaker over youtube (chrome) and everything works fine. But when I am on another page in Firefox and e.g. a video is playing which I pause or switch off, the sound of Chrome is automatically switched off. Not...
  7. speakers muting

speakers muting: my speakers quit working on my laptop, which is an HP using realtek audio. I have lost my sound, it is very low and if you put the speakers near your ear you can hardly hear anything. When I try to do things with the speaker settings and try to play something, it may work for...
  8. How to mute Skype? (Deafen)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to mute Skype? (Deafen): I would post this in the Skype sub, but it’s inactive. As people do, I wanna ignore my Skype call and just watch a movie instead, preferably without an indication in Skype that I deafened. But I can’t find a way to mute Skype.. I tried using the volume mixer to mute Skype...
  9. Speaker icon muted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speaker icon muted: Speaker icon muted at top left corner on microsoft edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-muted/d4faa040-1f2f-4dd6-ab39-e1289624f6d0
  10. External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker

External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker: I am running Windows 10 Professional with current up-to-date updates on my Dell Inspiron Laptop. Several days ago I noticed that plugging in current headset no longer muted the internal speaker. I know that it is not the headset as it works perfectly on another computer....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. skype speaker is muted