Windows 10: Speakers missing under Audio inputs and outputs section in device manager

Discus and support Speakers missing under Audio inputs and outputs section in device manager in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, ive done a fresh install of windows on my new ssd, and problem im currently facing is that i have no sound. The output that is visible in choose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KrisSosoge, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Speakers missing under Audio inputs and outputs section in device manager

So, ive done a fresh install of windows on my new ssd, and problem im currently facing is that i have no sound. The output that is visible in choose your output device in sound settings is Digital Audio (S/PDIF) which i dont have connected as i dont have any S/PDIF device. I went to device manager and in Audio inputs and outputs section i see:

Digital audio (S/PDIF)

Line in

Microphone

Microphone

(Note: All of them have High definition audio device driver next to it)

Why is Speaker missing?

I have tried reinstalling all drivers that are possible to, and updated them all. What is the problem?

(Latest build of Windows 10 64-bit)

:)

KrisSosoge, Sep 9, 2018
  2. paulpv Win User

Disabling Audio input/output (Microphone/Speaker/etc) in Device Manager does not disable device in Sound Control Panel or stop audio...oh my!

In Windows 10 (1803 build 17134.228), I open both "Device Manager" (devmgmt.msc) and the "Sound Control Panel" (mmsys.cpl).

Both Device Manager and the Sound Control Panel show the same audio input/output devices.

ex: "Speakers" and "Microphone".

This is good!

In Device Manager, I disable "Speakers", which continues to show up and has an icon showing it is disabled.

In Sound Control Panel, "Speakers" still shows up and *is not disabled*!

When I play a sound through the [disabled in Device Manager] Speakers, I can still hear the audio!

This is horrible!

In Device Manager, I re-enable "Speakers".

In Sound Control Panel, I disable "Speakers".

In Device Manager, "Speakers" disappears as an Audio output device.

Audio correctly cannot be heard.

This is good!

In summary:

1. Why does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" not stop audio coming out of them?
    2. What does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" actually do?
    3. Why is disabling Speakers in Device Manager different than disabling Speakers in Sound Control Panel?

Now for the real meat: I am trying to disable/enable the Audio input/output device...

...the way that the Sound Control Panel does...

...but programmatically (PowerShell, C#, C...whatever works).

There are many of examples of how to disable/enable a device that involve "devcon.exe disable/enable", "Get-PnpDevice | Disable/Enable-PnpDevice", and "Get-Device | Disable/Enable-Device".

All of these result in the device being disabled in the Device Manager, and exhibiting the above undesirable behavior; the audio devices still show up in Sound Control Panel and are usable. Speakers missing under Audio inputs and outputs section in device manager :(

I also have tried the Registry hack (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\{GUID} DeviceState=1 or 10000001), but that seems to be a cosmetic hack only and doesn't actually force close any open devices or prevent new opens.

So I'll add another question:

1. How can I programmatically disable/enable and audio device to have the same effect as doing it in Sound Control Panel?

And no; UI automation of the Sound Control Panel is not an acceptable answer.

I am looking for an actual API that can be called in the background, not a horrible UI hack that requires being in the foreground.

Thanks!

Pv

paulpv, Sep 9, 2018
  3. lacrumb Win User
    No Audio Output Device is installed

Go to Device Manager, Sound, video, game controller and see if activated.

Also look at Audio input and output.

Also click on the speaker on the task bar and then on the ^ and pick you speakers.

lacrumb, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Speakers missing under Audio inputs and outputs section in device manager

No Audio Output Device is Installed

Hi,

You will need to select Windows 8 from the drop down list while installing the driver in compatibility mode.

I would suggest you to try setting the speaker as default audio output by following the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the sound icon on the right bottom corner of the taskbar.

2. Select "playback devices".

3. If "speaker" is not set as the default device, highlight it and click "set as default".

5. Save the changes.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

Speakers missing under Audio inputs and outputs section in device manager

1. Speakers missing under Audio inputs and outputs section in device manager - Similar Threads - Speakers missing under

2. No audio device is installed, Audio input and output missing from device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio device is installed, Audio input and output missing from device manager: Hello I facing problem with Audio Driver I don't no how the problem arise but I have done several tries , Watched Lots of vids and much more , i didn't find genuine solution. I have Laptop Asus Tuf Gaming A17 2021 model FA706ICB My laptop says no output device is installed...
  3. No audio device is installed, Audio input and output missing from device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio device is installed, Audio input and output missing from device manager: Hello I facing problem with Audio Driver I don't no how the problem arise but I have done several tries , Watched Lots of vids and much more , i didn't find genuine solution. I have Laptop Asus Tuf Gaming A17 2021 model FA706ICB My laptop says no output device is installed...
  4. Audio inputs and outputs missiing from device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio inputs and outputs missiing from device manager: i got this problem 8 hours ago and im asking if anyone know how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-inputs-and-outputs-missiing-from-device/79988cb8-b7d5-457f-b5e9-f42cd68a0581
  5. Audio inputs and outputs missiing from device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio inputs and outputs missiing from device manager: i got this problem 8 hours ago and im asking if anyone know how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-inputs-and-outputs-missiing-from-device/79988cb8-b7d5-457f-b5e9-f42cd68a0581
  6. Audio inputs and outputs missiing from device manager

7. No audio inputs and outputs in my device manager.

No audio inputs and outputs in my device manager.: I can't hear any sound coming from my laptop, and on task bar also there's a red cross along with speaker symbol.When I tried to add legacy hardware in device managers and tries to install realtek, then it fall down into BSOD error that 'Your PC ran into some problem and it...
  8. No audio inputs and outputs in my device manager.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio inputs and outputs in my device manager.: I can't hear any sound coming from my laptop, and on task bar also there's a red cross along with speaker symbol.When I tried to add legacy hardware in device managers and tries to install realtek, then it fall down into BSOD error that 'Your PC ran into some problem and it...
  9. No audio inputs and outputs in my device manager.

10. Audio input and output is Missing

Audio input and output is Missing: Hello there I was playing game on my pc then suddenly the sound stops and the speaker shows redx you understand what I mean on right side corner in windows taskbarThen I try to troubleshoot with troubleshooting and updated driver nothing is solved Then I seen that there is an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. audio inputs and outputs missing

2. audio input and output not in device manager

3. audio input and output device missing

4. why is my speaker under audio inputs gone,
  5. missing audio input on macb,
  6. high definition audio device not in audio inputs and outputs,
  7. device manager Audio inputs and outputs missing,
  8. no speakers listed under audio outputs in windows 10,
  9. audio inputs and outputs missing in device manager,
  10. audio inputs missing,
  11. only remote audio shown under audio inputs and outputs,