Windows 10: Speakers not working after Windows update

Discus and support Speakers not working after Windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just installed the latest Windows update and as a result my internal laptop speakers are no longer working. The speaker icon displays a red X and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JANEL_619, Oct 12, 2018.

1. JANEL_619 Win User

Speakers not working after Windows update

I just installed the latest Windows update and as a result my internal laptop speakers are no longer working. The speaker icon displays a red X and the error message states that "the speaker is unplugged".

Did this update contain a corrupt driver? I tried to update or roll back the sound driver but that option is grayed out.

:)

JANEL_619, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Ivy Mun Win User

Speakers and headphones work at the same time

Hi.

Let us isolate your concern by answering these few questions.

• Have you tried connecting your headphones directly to your desktop?
    • Does your speaker work normally when connected to your desktop?
    You may try the following steps to help resolve your concern:

• Unplug or Disconnect your speaker from the desktop.
    • Connect your headphone directly to the desktop.
    If the headphone works properly when directly connected to the desktop, we suggest that you contact your speaker manufacturer for assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivy Mun, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Lov Dollente Win User
    Speakers not working with Windows 10

Hi,

For us to further isolate the issue, please clarify the following:

• Did you receive any error messages?
    • Have you tried using a different speaker with your device?

Meanwhile, you can check on this
    link
    for troubleshooting steps. We suggest that you also try to follow the steps provided and update us with the result.

Regards.

Lov Dollente, Oct 12, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

speakers

Hi Charlie,

Corrupted or outdated drivers may be one of the possible causes why your speakers are not working properly. To efficiently assists you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried updating your drivers?
    • Have you tried connecting your speakers to another computer and check if the issue still persists?
    • Have you tried using other speakers and check if the issue still persists?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how to troubleshoot sound problems.

Let us know if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Speakers not working after Windows update - Similar Threads - Speakers working update

2. speaker not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speaker not working: speaker not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-not-working/07a778c9-3457-4435-b3df-6658af0a07a7
  3. Speakers no longer working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speakers no longer working after Windows update: Dell Inspiron 13 / 7000 series. Windows update 0n October 10, 2018. Speakers no longer work. Bluetooth speaker is OK. Tried all the usual fixes...drivers etc. Could NOT try sytem recovery as this was not set to on. Any clues?...
  4. Speakers and Microphone Not Working

Speakers and Microphone Not Working: My speakers and microphone are not showing up as a option on the sound settings. I have already right clicked the empty space and checked the two boxes. I don't know if it is a issue with the drivers or if it is something else....
  5. Speakers stopped working

Speakers stopped working: My desktop speakers were working fine. My friends laptop speakers were just making a loud sound. I unplugged mine and connected them to the laptop and no sound. Retuned them to my desktop and no sound. I've tried a lot of fixes and nothing works. Is it possible that the...
  6. Internal Speakers not working

Internal Speakers not working: For awhile now whenever I'd join a discord, the group voice chat application, my audio wouldn't pick up until I messed with the settings a thousand times. To try to solve this, I plugged in a headset. For some reason that seemed to wipe out my internal speakers all together....
  7. Internal Speakers not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internal Speakers not working: For awhile now whenever I'd join a discord, the group voice chat application, my audio wouldn't pick up until I messed with the settings a thousand times. To try to solve this, I plugged in a headset. For some reason that seemed to wipe out my internal speakers all together....
  8. Speaker Setting Not Working

Speaker Setting Not Working: Windows 10 1803 Build 17134.48. The speaker Icon next to the clock is there but when you click on it nothing appears. If I logout and back in it will work for a few reboots then stop again. Any one else see this? 110815
  9. Speaker icon not working

Speaker icon not working: My speaker icon is not responding and I really want to turn off the speakers! What can I do? Also when I try to watch a video, even with my speakers at 100% and the videos speakers are at 100%, I still don't get any audio. Any help is appreciated! 39440
  10. External speakers not working

External speakers not working: When I turn on the computer I see a message that states 'audio output device is not installed'. The speakers have been attached to another computer and work fine. They worked fine last week. 96550