Windows 10: Speakers work fine, but PC won't play audio, not even with new sound card

Discus and support Speakers work fine, but PC won't play audio, not even with new sound card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Before I replaced the sound card, my relatively new PC would occasionally stop playing any audio. It wasn't the speakers fault, because when this would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SameOldSuitSince1962, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Speakers work fine, but PC won't play audio, not even with new sound card

Before I replaced the sound card, my relatively new PC would occasionally stop playing any audio. It wasn't the speakers fault, because when this would happen, I could still hear the "dinging" sound it makes when you adjust the volume level. That's the only sound it could play. I would have to unplug the speakers and plug them back in to get them to work again, and this would only work sometimes.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I got a new sound card and I put it in. The PC says the sound card was successfully installed. But I still can't hear any sound, not even the aforementioned "dinging" sound I said I could still hear the first time. No sound whatsoever. Again, it's not the speakers fault, because they DID play sound properly when there was sound. The problem is something about the computer itself, or Windows 10. Everything else about the computer works just fine. There's just something annoyingly wonky about the audio.

I put the old sound card back in, and it works fine now. But I'm afraid it might stop working again at some point like it did before.

I don't know what could be causing this. I don't even think I've ever seen this exact thing happen before. What do you think is causing the audio to suddenly stop working in all areas except certain system sounds?

:)

SameOldSuitSince1962, Mar 23, 2019
  2. nvcw727 Win User

Audio sound not working on speakers/or headphones. No sound

Yesterday my audio worked fine on both my speakers on my laptop (Dell Inspiron/N5110) and headphones. Then all of a sudden they stopped working. I have made sure that all the volumes are not muted. I did a troubleshoot on playing audio and it said low audio device volume detected, but when I increase the volume, nothing happens. Any one have any suggestions?

nvcw727, Mar 23, 2019
  3. silkmaze Win User
    How to play audio/music through speakers AND bluetooth speakers

I have a pair of Creative T40 speakers plugged into the 3.5mm jack on my laptop. I got hold of a bluetooth speaker and that was recognised straight-away.

I have installed a large monitor (32inch) to the laptop on which I work as well as watch movies and play games. I was wondering if I could setup that audio, be it music, gaming audio or movie audio could be played through BOTH sets of speakers.

The main T40's are on either side of the monitor and I have the bluetooth speaker behind me on a shelf. That would, kind-of, give me surround sound. Or when I have people over I could get better sound if I could just move the bluetooth speaker to a different part of the room.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

silkmaze, Mar 23, 2019
  4. hyuutry Win User

Speakers work fine, but PC won't play audio, not even with new sound card

How come only some audio will play through my headset and other sounds will only play through my speakers?

I just built a new computer, msi x99a motherboard. On-board audio. Windows 10.

Well I have a headset. Headphones+ a microphone.

On my old PC all I had to do was plug the mic in and the headphones in and it would work. It would play audio through my headphones.

Well on this new PC, some audio plays through my headphones but other audio plays through my speakers.

When I take a Skype call, the audio will play through my speakers. When I open sounds and devices, and I click test device, it will play the test sound through my headphones.

I right clicked on my device and chose "use as default communication device" but its still playing through my speakers, not my headphones.

I restarted my PC. I uninstalled drivers.
    I updated.

Why wont this work? All I want is for all of my audio (games and voice chat) to go through my headphones not my speakers. It used to be as simple as clicking "set as default device" and it would work. Now it isn't working.

hyuutry, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

Speakers work fine, but PC won't play audio, not even with new sound card

1. Speakers work fine, but PC won't play audio, not even with new sound card - Similar Threads - Speakers fine won't

2. How to beep through the internal PC speaker even when the sound controls for the sound card...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to beep through the internal PC speaker even when the sound controls for the sound card...: Hello,Does anyone know how to make the internal PC speaker beep even when I have my sound on mute?I want to hear the motherboard beep sounds, without having them go through my actual sound card, which is Realtek....
  3. How to beep through the internal PC speaker even when the sound control for the sound card...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to beep through the internal PC speaker even when the sound control for the sound card...: Hello,Does anyone know how to make the internal PC speaker beep even when I have my sound on mute?I want to hear the motherboard beep sounds, without having them go through my actual sound card, which is Realtek....
  4. Audio problem -- Sound won't play through speakers - only the monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio problem -- Sound won't play through speakers - only the monitor: Sound was working fine with my 5.1 speakers until my desktop computer blue screened. Long story short, I had to re-install Windows 10. Once the re-install was complete, I noticed I no longer had sound from my speakers. The other sound source is from my monitor. It will only...
  5. Audio problem -- Sound won't play through speakers - only the monitor

Audio problem -- Sound won't play through speakers - only the monitor: Sound was working fine with my 5.1 speakers until my desktop computer blue screened. Long story short, I had to re-install Windows 10. Once the re-install was complete, I noticed I no longer had sound from my speakers. The other sound source is from my monitor. It will only...
  6. Audio problem -- Sound won't play through speakers - only the monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Pc won't play sound.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc won't play sound.: Recently i unplugged my headphones to see if my new speakers on my laptop were working. i started a song, mp3 file in case you were wondering and it came out w/ an error message saying "the file was encoded in an unsupported format". i tried plugging my headphones in, and now...
  8. Bluetooth sound is fine but speakers and headphone JAC not working and no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth sound is fine but speakers and headphone JAC not working and no sound: As per title, I have been trying to resolve this for several days but to no avail.I've tried many things to resolve including, checking updating/rollback drivers, download driver pack and install from Microsoft I have surface laptop 3. I've restored previous version of...
  9. PC won't play sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won't play sound: I recently updated some of my audio drivers because my computer kept crashing (thread stuck in device driver error) and that appeared to be the only driver for which an update was available. Now I have no sound. My speakers won't play any sound of any kind (system sounds or...
  10. Audio sound not working on speakers/or headphones. No sound

Audio sound not working on speakers/or headphones. No sound: Yesterday my audio worked fine on both my speakers on my laptop (Dell Inspiron/N5110) and headphones. Then all of a sudden they stopped working. I have made sure that all the volumes are not muted. I did a troubleshoot on playing audio and it said low audio device volume...