Windows 10: Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop

Discus and support Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop, it's probably around 5 years old now, and is running Windows 7 Pro Service pack 1. I really like the laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SRomero_68, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop, it's probably around 5 years old now, and is running Windows 7 Pro Service pack 1. I really like the laptop so don't want to buy a new one unless i really need to. I use the laptop for regular tasks, including using Windows Office programs, internet and email, very occasionally use for streaming tv/video. I don't play games so don't need gaming levels of performance. The spec Microsoft suggests is the minimum required to run Windows 10 seems to be fine for my current laptop see below for my Lenovo's spec apart from the Graphics. My questions are: Will my current laptop run Windows 10 adequately for the tasks above. Do i need to install a new graphics card? Finally, I don't want to purchase Windows 10 only to find it doesn't work. Is there such a thing as a trial installation? Sorry, I've never had to upgrade an OS myself before.

Processor

IntelR CoreTM i5-3427U CPU @ 1.80GHz

Determined by lowest subscore

Memory RAM

8.00 GB

Graphics

IntelR HD Graphics 4000

Gaming graphics

1696 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk

43GB Free 215GB Total

Windows 7 Professional

System

Manufacturer

LENOVO

Model

34602SG

Total amount of system memory

8.00 GB RAM

System type

64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores

Storage

Total size of hard disks

229 GB

Disk partition C:

43 GB Free 215 GB Total

Disk partition Q:

3 GB Free 14 GB Total

Graphics

Display adapter type

IntelR HD Graphics 4000

Total available graphics memory

1696 MB

Dedicated graphics memory

64 MB

Dedicated system memory

0 MB

Shared system memory

1632 MB

Display adapter driver version

Primary monitor resolution

1600x900

DirectX version

DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter

IntelR CentrinoR Advanced-N 6205S

Network Adapter

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Network Adapter

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Network Adapter

Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network

Network Adapter

Phantom TAP-Windows Adapter V9

Notes

:)

SRomero_68, Jan 1, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jan 1, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

In what could be a fundamental shift in how Microsoft monetizes its flagship product, the Windows operating system, the company decided to offer its upcoming Windows 10 as a free upgrade for existing users of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. This offer will be applicable only for the first year following Windows 10 launch (after which, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10). Windows 10 will see the return of the Start Menu, a productive Desktop environment, and cutting-edge new API features such as DirectX 12.

Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop 116a_thm.jpg

Source: The Verge

btarunr, Jan 1, 2020
  4. 64K
    64K Win User

Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

Thema:

Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop

1. Spec query - Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on existing laptop - Similar Threads - Spec query Upgrading

2. These are my specs, currently running windows 7, are these specs good enough for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    These are my specs, currently running windows 7, are these specs good enough for windows 10?: Would it benefit me or would it slow the computer down if I upgraded to windows 10, as it runs okay on windows 7 Processor ProcessorAMD Athlon(tm) II X2 B24 ProcessorManufacturer AMD Speed 3 GHz Number of Cores 2 CPU ID 178BFBFF00100F62 MemoryRAM 8.0 GB Storage: 512gb...
  3. upgraded from Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    upgraded from Windows 7 to 10: Just upgraded today and I'm amazed at how slow the startup is.. Did some research and saw advice to run 'crapifier.exe' But when I try to run it I just get "application error". Also my searches 'decrapifier Application Error' gets no results. Seems odd. Can anyone suggest a...
  4. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop?: I'm posting on the Win 10 forum, rather than Win 7, because I think it's a Win 10 issue. My grandson uses one of my old Win 7 laptops. I've just found a HowToGeek article saying that MS are allowing free upgrades from 7 to 10. I just want to know if the old laptop has...
  5. Query related to upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1

Query related to upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1: I am on Windows 8.1. and want to upgrade to Windows 10, which I bought. I have no idea how to start the process on my PC - what do I need to do? thank you ***Original title: how do I upgrade to Windows 10 - where to I click to begin the process?***...
  6. Upgrading From Windows 7 to 10

Upgrading From Windows 7 to 10: I am wondering if the media creation tool is the easiest way to upgrading from windows 7 to 10 remotely? Is there an easy way to mass upgrade everyone on the network without them losing data? Is MDT easier? If using MCT do you have to baby it in an admin account so the user...
  7. Windows 7 pro upgrade query

Windows 7 pro upgrade query: We have win 7 pro in our organization which is legitimate and we want to upgrade them to windows 10 pro , is that option available at this point ? If so, how do we upgrade them to windows 10 ? Is that option available from wsus server or group policy ?...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade query

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade query: I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my Windows 7 64 bit laptop to Windows 10 and first need to know whether or not to unhook my external hard drive. Can anyone tell me a little more about Windows 10 with regard to the new browser called Edge, like is there a way to...
  9. 'Upgrade to Windows 10' query

'Upgrade to Windows 10' query: Probably a dumb question, but I am paranoid about running the install and doing an 'upgrade'. I am cocerned that I may lose some or all of my existing Win7 features and files, but it appears that I must do this to 'activate' my Product key. I have already installed Win10...
  10. Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 or Windows 10 on low-spec netbook?: Hi! I have to reinstall OS on low-spec netbook. Should I stay with Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) or update to Windows 10 (update & make clean install)? Any performance improvements? Acer Aspire One AO722 Processor: AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1 GHz and up to 1.33 GHz,...