Windows 10: Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10

Discus and support Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have many apps and documents on my PC that use special characters, such as Greek letters, Cyrilic letters and Symbols in addition to the (American)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by StephenM237, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10

I have many apps and documents on my PC that use special characters, such as Greek letters, Cyrilic letters and Symbols in addition to the (American) English that is predominate. Previous to the most recent update, all special characters appeared without any difficulty where I wished them to appear. Since the update, all special characters have been replaced with either a ? or a ▯, depending on which application is used. This extends to the Character Map app, which will show only some of the characters (only those represented on a U.S. keyboard) instead of all of the characters for each and every font.

I have attempted to change the default Windows 10 font from Segoe UI to Segoe UI Symbol to solve the problem, but it seems that Segoe UI Symbol has no letters so all the text is replaced with ????????. Segoe UI has only the most common American letters and symbols and nothing else.

This error is appearing in Word documents, Notepad documents, MP3 titles and tags, icon names, websites, and others.

How do I continue to include all the unicode symbols, especially the special characters, on my desktop and in all the apps?

:)

StephenM237, Apr 18, 2019

2. Special character in password

Dear Dex Ong,

I understand that you have a question about special characters in password.

This behavior is by design. To be honest I am not aware of the reasons that Microsoft has chosen to block special characters from passwords.

I will make a research on this issue and I will let you know as soon as I have an answer.

Kind regards,

*Update: Dex Ong, I would suggest to ask this question on a Live account forum because settings for passwords is not under Windows Phone settings.

Results in Windows Essentials - Microsoft Community

Vasilia K', Apr 18, 2019
  3. LittleJay Win User
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

Thanks for this PDF file list of special characters! It will come in very handy, *Thumbs

LittleJay, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10

Special characters

I say little wrongly it as fault, its more feature. Normal characters are 7-bit and special characters are 8/16-bit long. So more you use special characters, shorter the message can be.

Message Edited by pankola on 02-Mar-2009 12:57 PM

pankola---01, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10

1. Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10 - Similar Threads - Special characters longer

2. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  3. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  4. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  5. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  6. Special characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Windows 10?: Where is the program that shows special characters with their Alt keys? 148825
  7. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...
  8. Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Special characters no longer appearing in windows 10: I have many apps and documents no my PC that use special characters, such as greek letters, cyrilic letters and symbols in addition to the (American) English that is predominate. Previous to the most recent update, all special characters appeared without any difficulty....
  9. Special characters in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Win10: Hi, we have a bit of a weird issue with special characters. (kind of hard to explain but I`ll try) We are currently running a Win10 pilot, and the users are saying that the special characters, like é and õ, differs from Windows 7, even though the language input (norwegian) is...
  10. Searching for special characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for special characters: Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now. Anyway, in my old machine, when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 does not display some special characters?