Windows 10: Specific changes when upgrading from 8.1 to 10

Discus and support Specific changes when upgrading from 8.1 to 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, so I'll apologize for my lack of knowing exactly all the forum's rules. I hope that I have posted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Woonnie, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Woonnie Win User

Specific changes when upgrading from 8.1 to 10

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, so I'll apologize for my lack of knowing exactly all the forum's rules. I hope that I have posted in the right section.

I've been using windows 8.1 for more than one year and it's been a really awesome experience. The OS was way more stable than 8 and it was just perfect for me. However, knowing that Windows 10 has just appeared, my interests also changed.
    Because the consumer version of Windows 10 is offering right now free upgrades for the 7/8.1 users, I was thinking about upgrading it too. The only things which stop me to upgrade right away are about saving. Let's say for example that I have lots of shortcuts put in a specific position on my desktop and lots of apps and games which have been running without any problem right now.
    I'm using the 64-bit version, but even so, is it possible to lose the compatibility of some applications or even to lose the applications itself if I upgrade to the new version? Or everything that I have been using right now will remain untouched and the only things which are going to change is the windows itself without modifying the apps files and so?
    It's not like I want a clean install. I only want to upgrade to the new version, but also keep all of my files untouched. Another "major" problem about this would be that I want to upgrade using a USB boot drive, not the Windows Updates way.

Considering this, could you please tell me if my worries are useless or should I be prepared to reinstall most of my apps again because I'm thinking of upgrading? Could you also provide me the consumer's edition of the Windows 10, because I have only found the tehnnical preview of it. Thank you!

:)

Woonnie, Jan 22, 2015

2. Upgrading from 8.1 Pro to 10 Home

Hi Leonardo,

Thank you for letting us know your concerns.

I would like to inform you that as you have the Windows 8.1 Pro edition, you are eligible to upgrade to the same edition that is Windows 10 Pro. You cannot upgrade from a higher version to a lower version. If you have a lower version that is Windows 8.1
    home then only you can upgrade to Windows 10 Home. Change of version is not possible when you upgrade to higher edition.

For reference:

Specifications

For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 22, 2015
  3. HuwClarke Win User
    if you have Windows 8.1 Home, then the upgrade would be to Windows 10 Home?

Original Title:

Windows 10 Upgrade on a Tablet

I currently have a Tablet running Windows 10 Technical Preview, but prior to that, I was running Windows 8.1 Home. I understand Windows 10 mobile is designed specifically for phones and tablets, but from my understanding about the upgrade, if you have Windows
    8.1 Home, then the upgrade would be to Windows 10 Home. Is is possible to change the version from Home to Mobile during the Windows 10 upgrade to suit the device and potentially decrease the amount of storage required for the OS?

HuwClarke, Jan 22, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

Wait until later on the year. There is nothing to upgrade to yet. There is no "consumers edition" whatever you think that is. Microsoft have said you can upgrade (probably) from the current preview versions but it isn't fixed in stone.

I upgraded 8.1 to TP for example but I might well have to restore back to 8.1. I expect to upgrade direct to RTM but no-one knows for sure (although you can see this Gabriel Aul on Twitter)

adamf, Jan 22, 2015
  5. Woonnie Win User
    Thanks for the tip. It seems kind of harsh to know that I can only wait for the best, but it's not like I'm in a rush. Windows 8.1 did his best untill now and haven't disappointed me yet *Biggrin.

Woonnie, Jan 23, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    I say you don't have to worry about anything. Your files, programs, shortcuts, settings, etc. will not be affected. But of course make sure to have an external backup of your files in case you encountered problems during the upgrade process. And when you get the online upgrade, it is always best to use wired internet connection.

I once played around with Windows 7 and upgraded it to Win 10 TP. All my files, shortcuts, etc. are intact. So I guess, coming from Win 8, it will be less of a worry or nothing to worry about at all.

badrobot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Specific changes when upgrading from 8.1 to 10 - Similar Threads - Specific changes upgrading

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.: I have an older Laptop that I use for travel. It was my wife's old laptop. It crashed ad I had reload then it became available. OEM disks after replacing the hard drive. Now it's running 8.1. I had previously upgraded it to Widows 10 when available. It I just bought a new...
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.: I have an older Laptop that I use for travel. It was my wife's old laptop. It crashed ad I had reload then it became available. OEM disks after replacing the hard drive. Now it's running 8.1. I had previously upgraded it to Widows 10 when available. It I just bought a new...
  4. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade from 8. to 10

Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  6. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  7. Upgrade from 8. to 10

8. Window 10 upgrade from 8

Window 10 upgrade from 8: Can I upgrade direct from 8 to 10 I have tried updating to 8.1 but it is continually failing attached is a copy of my specs on this laptop Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-upgrade-from-8/b95452fa-dbf9-4d06-bcbe-60d52335c15a
  9. upgrading to Windows 10 from 8

upgrading to Windows 10 from 8: Hello, So I finally upgraded my dads windows 8 laptop to windows 10 because he's a stubborn old man who wouldnt do it when it was free.. That windows 8 version had face recognition password that he used to log in and cant remember the password he used to create that log...
  10. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....