Windows 10: Specific folders keep getting automatically compressed even after I decompress them

Discus and support Specific folders keep getting automatically compressed even after I decompress them in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I noticed a few days ago that the "two blue arrows" appeared on all the icons on my desktop, which I found out stand for NTFS compressed files. I then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GiaCera, Dec 4, 2018.

1. GiaCera Win User

Specific folders keep getting automatically compressed even after I decompress them

I noticed a few days ago that the "two blue arrows" appeared on all the icons on my desktop, which I found out stand for NTFS compressed files. I then checked the whole C drive and noticed that a few folders, namely "Documents", "Desktop" and "AppData" (all in my user's folder), were also compressed. I thought that that was odd, because I was pretty sure those folders weren't compressed before. I also noticed that my drive had more free space than some days before (a few GB).

I then decompressed some (not all) of the files and sub-folders in those three folders. However, I found out today that all the three folders are now entirely compressed, again, even the files I decompressed and that I definitely did not compress myself.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I keep my drive almost full (about 10 GB free on a 256 GB SSD), and this has been so for more than a year. However, this is the first time I experienced this issue with compression. Could it be that Windows is automatically compressing these folders to make space (I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 1803)?

Thank you in advance.

:)

GiaCera, Dec 4, 2018

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Mussels Win User

Specific folders keep getting automatically compressed even after I decompress them

COMPRESSING Drives

i remember it from a course i took, which made me go and format my HDD's to a 64K cluster size... which then made XP impossible to install due to service pack 2 cracking the shits about not being able to compress its uninstaller.

its half related, but its WHY i remember it.

will google for details now

ding, found it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987

underline my emphasis

more
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251186/EN-US/
    it may be me interpreting it wrong, but it clearly sounds like its decompressing it to a file and not leaving it in memory

Mussels, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Specific folders keep getting automatically compressed even after I decompress them - Similar Threads - Specific folders keep

2. Site.txt file automatically getting created, it keeps on generating even after deleting it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Site.txt file automatically getting created, it keeps on generating even after deleting it...: I am facing this issue from a while now, an empty file name site.txt gets automatically created even after deleting it again and again, anyone can help me out on why this occurs or how to prevent this. Also if this is something serious how to confirm if its a threat....
  3. Site.txt file automatically getting created, it keeps on generating even after deleting it...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Site.txt file automatically getting created, it keeps on generating even after deleting it...: I am facing this issue from a while now, an empty file name site.txt gets automatically created even after deleting it again and again, anyone can help me out on why this occurs or how to prevent this. Also if this is something serious how to confirm if its a threat....
  4. Site.txt file automatically getting created, it keeps on generating even after deleting it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unknown folders get created automatically after some days even after deleting them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown folders get created automatically after some days even after deleting them: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SP_Goraya [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hlk7gq/unknown_folders_get_created_automatically_after/
  6. How to make a compressed zipped folder a specific app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make a compressed zipped folder a specific app: Um.. so I wanted to make my file a Minecraft education compressed zipped folder on file explorer i saw a youtube vid that said i had to rename the compressed zipped folder to: something.MC pack. i did that but it didn't make a Minecraft education compressed zipped folder....
  7. compressed folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  8. Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff

Unable to decompress the drive and to stop compressing new stuff: Hello, I have accidentally checked the box for drive compression in the disk cleanup tool. I tried to go on drive, properties and uncheck the compression box, but many files are still compressed because they were opened during the process (system files) and when I install...
  9. Windows keeps randomly compressing folders

Windows keeps randomly compressing folders: About a week and a half ago, I noticed blue arrows on every thumbnail on my desktop. Doing some research online, I figured out that it's an indicator of NTFS compression. Following the steps I found online, I disabled the compression on the desktop folder and this indeed...
  10. Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing

in Windows 10 Support
    Something lost in compressing/uploading/downloading/decompressing: I've written a program that I want to make available to users on my webpage. The package consists of seven files: the .exe file, a .dll file, and five data files. I send all seven to a compressed (zipped) folder, so the user needs to download only one thing. I upload the .zip...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why desktop are getting compressed automatically

2. is it okay if my folders gets compressed automatically