Windows 10: Specific keys on laptop keyboard are failing

Discus and support Specific keys on laptop keyboard are failing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The keyboard on my laptop failed to type some keys. I removed one of them and cleaned it but didn't fix. Sometimes they work, but they mostly are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by goma8_5, May 10, 2020.

1. goma8_5 Win User

Specific keys on laptop keyboard are failing

The keyboard on my laptop failed to type some keys. I removed one of them and cleaned it but didn't fix. Sometimes they work, but they mostly are failing. The keys that are failing are also in different zones of the keyboard. Assumed it was electronic issue, so replacement is needed. In the meantime tried some workarounds.

I tried Windows' troubleshooting or updating drivers, but to no avail.

I tried Regedit and then Sharpkeys to remap, but it triggers no changes.
    I tried UnifiedRemote keyboard but it fails exactly the same as my physical keyboard.

I use on-screen keyboard and it works, but very very cumbersome to type with mouse, obviously....

I am about to buy an external keyboard but am afraid that it will also have the same problem, since UnifiedRemote does.

So it seems the issue is not electronic after all, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers as to what could be the problem, or to help make my remaping work.

I'd aprecite any help in fixing the issue or resolving a workaround like getting Regedit to work, or assurance that the external keyboard will work. I need this keys to be able to work.

I don't know where else to request help...

Thank you in advance.

Windows 10
    Asus X556U
    European keyboard
    Failing keys:
    • KeyA
    • KeyQ
    • Tab
    • Backslash
    • Digit1
    • Numpad0
    • fn
    • one of the keys is just behaving weirdly...

:)

goma8_5, May 10, 2020

2. Windows 10 Laptop Keyboard Keys Acting Strange

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to the laptop to check if that helps.

Further you may also use the onscreen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, May 10, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, May 10, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, May 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Specific keys on laptop keyboard are failing - Similar Threads - Specific keys laptop

2. How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard: Hello,I am using HP i5 Intel iRisxe with Windows 11I want to disable Lock Key which works for Log Off like Windows Key+L. I have installed Power Toys Utility, Please guide me step by step, Thanks & RegarsJayesh Soni...
  3. How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard: Hello,I am using HP i5 Intel iRisxe with Windows 11I want to disable Lock Key which works for Log Off like Windows Key+L. I have installed Power Toys Utility, Please guide me step by step, Thanks & RegarsJayesh Soni...
  4. keyboard won't type specific key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard won't type specific key: So i've had this laptop for about five or six years? don't remember, but it's in good condition. About two and a half years ago my 'T' key won't always process so it won't type. Right now obviously it's typing, but at times it can go for tens of minutes without being able to...
  5. keyboard won't type specific key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard won't type specific key: So i've had this laptop for about five or six years? don't remember, but it's in good condition. About two and a half years ago my 'T' key won't always process so it won't type. Right now obviously it's typing, but at times it can go for tens of minutes without being able to...
  6. keyboard won't type specific key

7. keyboard key stopped working on specific computer

keyboard key stopped working on specific computer: My Pc wont write the "multiplication" symbol via my numpad anymore. It used to work. I have tried with another keyboard, same result. I have tried the keyboard in another pc aswell, and it works fine.I have tried safe mode, dont workI have updated drivers via device manager,...
  8. Specific laptop keyboard keys work intermittently

Specific laptop keyboard keys work intermittently: Throughout the past few months, specific keys on my laptop keyboard have been working intermittently. These include 't', 'y' and 'o'. At times, I will have to press and hold these keys for them to be registered, at other times they operate as they should. I have several of...
  9. Reassign a keyboard key combination to a specific key?

Reassign a keyboard key combination to a specific key?: How can I set "Ctrl+J" combination (witch means "í" character on a 101 keys hungarian keyboard) to another key? Forexample, Ctrl+J = Left Win button. I wont do changes directly in registry. I tried several softwares (SharpKeys, KeyExtender, KeyTweak...), but no one can handle...
  10. How to reassign a keyboard key combination to a specific key?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reassign a keyboard key combination to a specific key?: How can I set "Ctrl+J" combination (witch means "í" character on a 101 keys hungarian keyboard) to another key? Forexample, Ctrl+J = Left Win button. I wont do changes directly in registry. I tried several softwares (SharpKeys, KeyExtender, KeyTweak...), but no one can handle...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Some keys on laptop keyboard are not working mess with regedit