Windows 10: Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10

Discus and support Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you have a device with an older version of Windows or Windows Phone, Microsoft has now revealed more information on the specific upgrade paths that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 18, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10

As previously announced, Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10 for Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users will only last a year after the OS officially launches. Microsoft has yet to reveal pricing for the full version of Windows 10. Surface and Surface 2 owners with Windows RT are supposed to get an update that will add some features of Windows 10, but specifics about that update have not been revealed. Read more: Here are the specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10 | Windows Central

Brink, May 18, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Good news and a nice clarification.. thanks. *Smile

:)

BunnyJ, May 18, 2015
  3. windows 10 1607 upgrade

What version of Windows are you currently using?

Are you happy with the version of Windows are you currently using?

If you are already running Windows 10 version 1511 here is how you can upgrade to version 1607:

Windows
    10 Anniversary Edition Update - How to get it now

Windows 10 supports both 32Bit and 64Bit computers.

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 10

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 10.

Version

Limit on X86

Limit on X64

Windows 10 Enterprise

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Education

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Pro

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Home

4 GB

128GB

Note: If you upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update, then whatever version (32 or 64Bit) you currently have installed will remain the same after installing Windows 10.

Compare editions:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

System Requirents:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

Upgrade paths:

Windows 7

From Edition

To Edition

Windows 7 Starter

Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8

From Edition

To Edition

Windows Phone 8.1

Windows 10 Mobile

Windows 8.1

Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro for Students

"N" and "KN" editions follow the upgrade path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro N).

Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

See the
    Windows 10 Editions page
    to view and compare the key features that are available in each edition of Windows 10: Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade specifications and paths:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Note: There are no upgrade paths from XP, Vista or Windows 8.0 (for 8.0 user you must upgrade to 8.1 to be able to upgrade). XP and Vista users must perform a "Custom" / Clean install.

:
    http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, May 18, 2015
  4. mlg63 Win User

can I upgrade my single language Windows 8 to CLEAN INSTALLED WINDOWS 10 (installed by USB Stick or ISO file)

The N version has some added requirements you must follow. You cannot install or upgrade to different version for free. This page
    says this about qualifying for the free upgrade--

“N” and “KN” editions follow the upgrade path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro N).

If you change to a diff version you will have to buy a license.

mlg63, May 18, 2015
  5. That's about what I was expecting. It looks like if you have 7 Starter edition you don't qualify for the free upgrade. Just guessing, its not mentioned anywhere. Likely because that version has features locked out above and beyond any other version. It may all come clear when we finally get some hard info right from Microsoft and can stop second guessing everything we see online.

alphanumeric, May 18, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    No mention of the ISO method. Interesting.

Boozad, May 18, 2015
  7. There's another thread that details that. If I can remember what it was I'll post a link. Might have been on Eight or Seven forums, can't remember at the moment.

8. Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10

I can't find the post I saw the upgrade paths listed in. It showed whether you could upgrade online or had to use an ISO. Sorry. ISO's will be available at some point. They'll be on MSDN and somebody will leak them to where ever at some point. I really really hope they do a Media creation tool like they have for Windows 8 for Windows 10.

9. John035 Win User
    I'd prefer to do a clean install not be updated via Update........but, I'll take it.

John035, May 19, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    Here you go.

Microsoft Reveals Windows 10 Upgrade Path, Confirms Windows RT Won’t Be Receiving Windows 10

http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content...grade-Path.jpg

Another article says (sorry no web site link), RT will get some windows 10 tools but not all.

groze, May 19, 2015
  11. Thank you for posting that, that's the one I saw, just forgot where and who posted it. I read that same article on RT just getting some of the Windows 10 features but not all. RT is now replaced by 10 Mobile I guess? Sort of kind of?

alphanumeric, May 19, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10 [​IMG]

BunnyJ, May 19, 2015
  13. Boozad Win User

I've seen the upgrade matrix, however it seems to contradict what's stated in the announcement hence my asking. The matrix was announced weeks ago so I was wondering if things had changed.

Boozad, May 19, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Can't say when but it was more than a few weeks ago and as far as I know it's not been updated since then. I still think that an ISO will be available but that's just a guess on my part., Only MS knows what the plan is and hopefully they'll come out with it some time very soon.

BunnyJ, May 19, 2015
  15. What's the contradiction? The upgrade matrix just shows what's needed to upgrade online through Windows update. You need Windows 7 with SP1 or Windows 8.1 to upgrade online. Anything else and you need an ISO.

alphanumeric, May 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Specific upgrade paths

2. This upgrade path is not supported – Windows 11/10 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 News
    This upgrade path is not supported – Windows 11/10 Upgrade error: [ATTACH]When you try to upgrade to Windows 11 or to the latest version/build of Windows 10 from Windows 7/8.1/10, you may receive the error message This upgrade path is not supported preventing you from proceeding and completing the upgrade operation on your device. This post...
  3. upgrade 10 pro path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade 10 pro path: I have SQ1 Surface Pro X with windows 10 pro. prior to upgrading SSD 256 to 512 windows update said I could upgrade to windows 11. After installing new SSD, reinstalling Windows 10 pro it is saying passed the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program for Windows 11 but no longer...
  4. upgrade 10 pro path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade 10 pro path: I have SQ1 Surface Pro X with windows 10 pro. prior to upgrading SSD 256 to 512 windows update said I could upgrade to windows 11. After installing new SSD, reinstalling Windows 10 pro it is saying passed the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program for Windows 11 but no longer...
  5. Upgrade path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade path: Why is it so hard to get someone from MS to answer a direct question? They want a support contract to answer anything aside from "What is your name?"! All I want to know is what is the correct upgrade path for a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Windows Server 2016...
  6. Upgrade path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade path: Why is it so hard to get someone from MS to answer a direct question? They want a support contract to answer anything aside from "What is your name?"! All I want to know is what is the correct upgrade path for a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to Windows Server 2016...
  7. Windows 10 1809 Upgrade-Path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1809 Upgrade-Path: Hello, after a long research, i didn´t found answers regarding two questions. 1. How is the Upgrade-Path for Windows 10 1809 Enterprise? Is the transformation from 1809 directly to 20H2 technical supported. I can´t find any technical whitepaper for this path. 2. The...
  8. i cannot get rid of the message cannot access specific path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i cannot get rid of the message cannot access specific path: Hi I really need help with this. I have MS OFFICE HOme and Business 2013 installed on my computer OS Windows 10 Home and recently I have been gettting this message "C:\\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_18.1910.1283.0x64_8weky.... then below that I get...
  9. Upgrade Path, Versions and Previous MS OS versions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Path, Versions and Previous MS OS versions.: is there an extensive or definitive list about what versions of windows 7/8/8.1 get what version of windows 10 w/ the reservations? as im planning on rolling back from Windows 8.1 to 7 then going to upgrade from there if its going to make Jack Squat a difference as i Still...
  10. Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths

in Windows 10 News
    Upgrading to Windows 10? Here are the supported paths: At the WinHEC conference in China, Microsoft has announced several new details about the release of Windows 10, including that all pirated copies of Windows can be upgraded for free. If you are wanting to upgrade to Windows 10, take a look at the matrix below, as it outlines...