Windows 10: Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File

Discus and support Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I have a start and taskbar modification .xml file that is used with group policy for users and everything is working fine. The only issue is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Aelther, May 7, 2020.

1. Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File

Hi,

I have a start and taskbar modification .xml file that is used with group policy for users and everything is working fine. The only issue is that regardless of the order I specified, Microsoft Edge and File Explorer always end up on the left. Every other icon respects the order of my .xml file.

Here's a sample of my taskbar modification section:

</DefaultLayoutOverride> <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace"> <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout> <taskbar:TaskbarPinList> <taskbarSpecify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" /> <taskbarSpecify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Edge.lnk" /> <taskbarSpecify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" /> <taskbarSpecify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="\\Whatever\NETLOGON\Windows 10 Start Tile Layout\32-Bit\Skype for Business.lnk" /> <taskbarSpecify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="\\Whatever\NETLOGON\Windows 10 Start Tile Layout\32-Bit\Microsoft Teams.lnk" /> <taskbarSpecify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="\\Whatever\NETLOGON\Windows 10 Start Tile Layout\32-Bit\Outlook.lnk" /> </taskbar:TaskbarPinList> </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout> </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>

As per my layout the order should be: "File Explorer, Edge, Chrome, SFB, Teams, Outlook". Instead it shows up as "Edge, File Explorer, Chrome, SFB, Teams, Outlook". Regardless of where I place Edge and File Explorer, they always go on the left in the order of Edge then File Explorer. It was the same with Legacy Edge too. It seems it is following Microsoft's default taskbar layout, despite me using the "PinListPlacement="Replace" command.

Has anyone ever found a way to manually specify the order other than treating the top as left and bottom as right?

submitted by /u/Aelther
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Aelther, May 7, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, May 7, 2020
  3. DRDNA Win User
    Video Thumbnail on Taskbar

The feature is called Taskbar preview and is not supposed to remain open after you remove the cursor from the icon. So it is working proper when it closes preview once the cursor is removed from the Taskbar icon.

EDIT: I have seen Taskbar preview stick and stay open before myself even after the cursor has been removed but that not suppose to happen and I don't know for sure why it happens in the first place but I'm guessing it has to do with memory running low .....

DRDNA, May 7, 2020
  4. ITshadow Win User

Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File

ThrottleStop 8.60 Stays in Taskbar

Hello!

I have an issue with ThrottleStop 8.60 (And 8.50U) staying in the taskbar when minimizing and not going to the notification area. The notification icon is there but it is always in the taskbar too. If I check 'Minimize on Close it still stays in the taskbar. Is this a bug or does anyone know how to get it off my taskbar and only in the notification bar?

Thanks!!!

ITshadow, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File

1. Specify The Order Of Taskbar Icons In A Managed Taskbar Layout XML File - Similar Threads - Specify Order Taskbar

2. Why are my taskbar pins in a different order to my LayoutModificationTemplate XML?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my taskbar pins in a different order to my LayoutModificationTemplate XML?: I'm working on our Windows 11 SOE and have created a LayoutModificationTemplate XML as instructed in the Microsoft Documentation:Configure and customize Windows 11 taskbar - Configure Windows Microsoft LearnThe resulting XML is as follows:<?xml version="1.0"...
  3. Why are my taskbar pins in a different order to my LayoutModificationTemplate XML?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are my taskbar pins in a different order to my LayoutModificationTemplate XML?: I'm working on our Windows 11 SOE and have created a LayoutModificationTemplate XML as instructed in the Microsoft Documentation:Configure and customize Windows 11 taskbar - Configure Windows Microsoft LearnThe resulting XML is as follows:<?xml version="1.0"...
  4. Is there a way to sort taskbar icon preview order?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to sort taskbar icon preview order?: I'm not sure what it's exactly called, but when you have multiple folders open(or similar stacking files) and when you hover over them and they show the a thumbnail is it possible to sort there order? I exited out of a folder by accident and now its out of order. Hope there...
  5. Taskbar Menu export XML file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Menu export XML file: I tried to search for the XML file and I do not see an OEM folder or Dell which is the OEM? C:\Windows\OEM\TaskbarLayoutModification.xmlI would like to customize the task bar and use that xml file to used either in local group policy or from main GPO to be applied to virtual...
  6. Taskbar Menu export XML file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Menu export XML file: I tried to search for the XML file and I do not see an OEM folder or Dell which is the OEM? C:\Windows\OEM\TaskbarLayoutModification.xmlI would like to customize the task bar and use that xml file to used either in local group policy or from main GPO to be applied to virtual...
  7. Taskbar Menu export XML file

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Change to taskbar icon layout

Change to taskbar icon layout: Just today the icons on the taskbar have changed. When a item pinned to the task bar is opened, the name of that item now shows beside the icon, therefore occupying more space on the taskbar. if multiple folder windows are opened, each individual folder shows on the task...
  9. How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar

How to lock the order of the icons in the taskbar: On a Surface Pro 4, running Windows 10 Pro. I want to lock the order of the taskbar icons so that they cannot be rearranged. The 'Lock Taskbar' option does not do this and only prevents the icons from being removed. Any ideas?...
  10. Taskbar icon management in Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icon management in Settings: I am using Windows 10 and have run into a situation that I’d like a little advice on. I navigate to Settings > System > Notifications & Actions. I am presented with a screen that has an option “Select which icons appear on the taskbar”. I am presented with a list of...