Windows 10: Speculation on how Windows 10 Activation will work

Discus and support Speculation on how Windows 10 Activation will work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So here's my guess at how Windows 10 Activation will work: My theory is that whenever windows 10 activates, it will 'phone home' to the activation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidY, Jun 19, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

Speculation on how Windows 10 Activation will work

So here's my guess at how Windows 10 Activation will work:

My theory is that whenever windows 10 activates, it will 'phone home' to the activation servers with info about the hardware signature of the activated computer, and which edition has activated.

Every time you install windows 10 and it wants to try to activate, it will also 'phone home' with the current hardware signature to ask the activation servers if that hardware is a recognised device, and what edition it was running. If so, it will automatically activate with the recognised edition, without asking for a key, and in some cases there won't be a specific product key as we'd know it.

So some scenarios are:
    • When Windows 10 is upgraded over Windows 7/8.x, it will perhaps check that the key on the running system is valid for 7/8.x, and then activate Windows 10 with the corresponding edition for that hardware
    • When Windows 10 RTM is clean-installed on new hardware, it will check for a key on the motherboard, or that it is hardware that has activated before, or as a last resort ask for a key to be entered by the user, and then activate
    • When Windows 10 RTM is installed as a paid-for upgrade on a box running something that is not Windows 7/8.x/10 , it will check whether it is hardware that has activated before, or ask for a Product Key and then activate
    • When Windows 10 Preview is clean-installed (presumably requiring a recognised Microsoft Account), it will just activate, although I imagine this behaviour will stop on or before 29 July
    • When you install a 'Pro Pack' (assuming it still exists) to upgrade from one version of 10 to another, you will type in the new product key and the information on the new edition and the hardware will be passed to the activation servers

So this behaviour which Mystere has observed would fit with the above (assuming Windows 10 had already activated on that hardware), and also suggest that 10147 is a release candidate or close to one, and perhaps that the activation servers are up and running for Windows 10.
    It also means that some devices would activate with a generic product key (like the one in 10 Preview), but after that point it's the hardware signature that matters, not the product key.

The scenario I don't have a good theory on is when you change hardware. In some cases I imagine there will be some tolerance that if most components are the same as hardware that's activated before, then it still activates as the same device. But if you make major changes I'm not sure how it will work especially if, for instance, you clean-installed 10 Preview and don't actually have your own product key to give to a support person when you call Microsoft?

This might also be what the 'supported lifetime of the device' thing for the free upgrade from 7/8.x is about - if the hardware itself is effectively the product key, then if you make big changes to the hardware it may no longer be treated as valid, and you won't have a Windows 10 product key to give Microsoft when you phone them. If it is still 'supported' then the OEM should be able to sort you out with a new key if necessary when you replace/fix components.

Probably over-simplistic (it may be that Microsoft Accounts enter into the rules too) but that's my 2 cents...

:)

DavidY, Jun 19, 2015
  2. papasquee Win User

How do I activate 10 when installing from DVD

If I install win 10 with the DVD created using the Media Creation Tool, where do I get the product key to activate? I only have the key for 8.0 (update to 8.1 accomplished through app store with no information given to me on 8.1 activation key). Will the
    8.0 key work to activate 10 from 8.1? Or since the upgrade is free, will an activation key even be necessary?

Looking for a confirmed answer..no speculation,please.

papasquee, Jun 19, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade-WHEN?

1- No one from Microsoft will answer you because this is a community forum. You're writing to your fellow Windows 10 users.

2- Instead of making bold speculation, why not go online and learn about the rules of activation?

BulldogXX, Jun 19, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

Reading this back nearly 2 months later... I don't think I was too far off, given the info that was known back in June ! *Wink

I'm still not sure whether Windows 10 OEM machines (ie NOT upgraded from Windows 7/8.x) will still have a product key on the motherboard like Windows 8 though (part of my point (2) above? Anyone seen a real Windows 10 OEM machine to confirm or otherwise?

DavidY, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Speculation on how Windows 10 Activation will work - Similar Threads - Speculation Activation

2. Microsoft CVE-2017-5715: Guidance to mitigate speculative execution side-channel...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft CVE-2017-5715: Guidance to mitigate speculative execution side-channel...: Microsoft CVE-2017-5715: Guidance to mitigate speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilitiesMicrosoft CVE-2017-5753: Guidance to mitigate speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilitiesMicrosoft CVE-2017-5754: Guidance to mitigate speculative execution side-channel...
  3. BSoD when launch or installing anything DirectX relate Speculation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD when launch or installing anything DirectX relate Speculation: This all started maybe a month or so ago i was looking at the windows insider build stuff and accidently joined it and my PC updated. I tried the update and was instantly getting a "Green screen of death" Same as the BSoD just green. Figured it was just the update so i reset...
  4. BSoD when launch or installing anything DirectX relate Speculation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD when launch or installing anything DirectX relate Speculation: This all started maybe a month or so ago i was looking at the windows insider build stuff and accidently joined it and my PC updated. I tried the update and was instantly getting a "Green screen of death" Same as the BSoD just green. Figured it was just the update so i reset...
  5. Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check: My VM team has run into a wall remediating a vulnerability for Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check. After applying the fix to the registry to correct, we found that the registry entries kept reverting after the server reboots. We validated that there's no GPO in...
  6. Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check: My VM team has run into a wall remediating a vulnerability for Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check. After applying the fix to the registry to correct, we found that the registry entries kept reverting after the server reboots. We validated that there's no GPO in...
  7. Unreal Engine games freeze entire PC and requires hard restart, speculating that it’s a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unreal Engine games freeze entire PC and requires hard restart, speculating that it’s a...: Unreal games i’ve tested include Rising Storm 2, Killing Floor 2, Fortnite, Outerworlds, etc. cause my PC to stop sending signal to my monitor makes my fans go crazy. I thought the problem may be overheating, but I actively measure my temps while playing games and everything...
  8. Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows: Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script is a batch file for Microsoft Windows devices to check and manage the Speculative Execution Protection status on the system. Speculative Execution side-channel attacks are a new class of vulnerabilities that started to make waves...
  9. Windows Sandbox and Intel CPU Speculative side channel vulnerabilities

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Sandbox and Intel CPU Speculative side channel vulnerabilities: Hi. I've yet to try Windows 10 version 1903 (waiting for the final version to roll out). However I'm aware of the new Windows Sandbox feature and I'm excited about it. I do have a question though. In the light of the recent side channel speculative execution...
  10. Windows client guidance for IT Pros to protect against speculative

in Windows 10 News
    Windows client guidance for IT Pros to protect against speculative: Windows client guidance for IT Pros to protect against speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities Applies to: Windows Server 2016 Version 1709, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows Server 2012 Standard, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008...