Windows 10: Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

Discus and support Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Docsis 3.0 motorola modem (provided by Spectrum). If I connect the ethernet from the modem direct to my PC, i immediately get full bandwidth,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ziffel, Apr 21, 2019.

1. ziffel Win User

Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

I have a Docsis 3.0 motorola modem (provided by Spectrum). If I connect the ethernet from the modem direct to my PC, i immediately get full bandwidth, 120 Mbps, on all speedtests (fast.com etc). However, if I first go to my router, then ethernet to the PC, the speed drops to around 55 or 60 Mb. An important note here is that this combo has worked fine for several years. Same modem, same ethernet cable, same router. (I say that because it illustrates the older router, cable, and modem are capable of full my full bandwidth) This issue just popped up yesterday (Apr 20)

The oddity here is that purchasing and trying a brand new router with all the latest tech renders the exact same results. 55 to 60 Mb speed. The tests are very very consistent. Always the same each time, no variation. Same goes for wiring direct from modem to PC. Always 120 Mb.

The upload speed is always 100% good. Both direct to PC and through both routers, 12 Mb up.

The 55-60 speed (wired) is consistent on 3 different PC's in the house. Two are Win10, one is an older Win7 laptop. And I got that speed on the other PC's with the new router as well.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• rebooting modem & router & PC (several times each)
    • different ethernet cable from modem to router and to PC (same results)
    • 2nd, brand new router (same results)
    • disconnected all wires from modem (coax, ethernet, power) and re-connected
    • read through this thread. My symptom is similar, (120 --> 60 drop, download only), however I don't think it's relevant, because I get full speed as I should if I go direct from modem to PC ethernet in. If it were a software issue, I would think that would persist direct wired or via a router. Either way, none of the fixes in that thread helped me.\

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

:)

ziffel, Apr 21, 2019

2. Problems with Motorola MG7310 modem/router

Good evening.

This may be a simple problem, but I'm not good at troubleshooting by text Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem :)

My friend was looking for a net modem so I suggested she get the Motorola MG7310 modem/router combo.

She originally had a Time Warner modem. She is currently on the 30Mb plan. She lives in a split level town house apartment.

After she set up the modem downstairs, everything worked fine, but upstairs, the speed test on her son's laptop is only getting 1.5Mbps download while she's getting anywhere between 26 and sometimes 40Mbps downstairs. When she had the Time Warner modem, he was getting normal speeds.

So what do I do next? I would say it was a proximity thing, but he was getting much better speeds on his TW router. What would be the next step?

Thanks for your help

Outsider418, Apr 21, 2019
  3. Darren Win User
    Wireless cable modem/router/firewall

can someone recommend me a wireless router with built in cable modem. Most of the devices ive seen are equiped with ADSL modems!

required features

• Wireless
    • firewall
    • router
    • Built in cable modem
    • fully telewest/blueyonder compatible

Darren, Apr 21, 2019
  4. Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

Wired Ethernet Connection Constantly Dropping (Windows 10)

My mom recently purchased a laptop from HP running Windows 10. I hooked it up to our Xfinity modem/router via Ethernet and the wired connection is consistently dropping for 5ish seconds, connecting again for a second or two, and then repeating the process.
    Connection over WiFi has no problems whatsoever. My own laptop that runs 8.1 has no problems with the same 2-in-1 modem/router, whether wired or wireless.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to remedy the problem?

JordenMacdonald, Apr 21, 2019
Thema:

Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

1. Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem - Similar Threads - Speed drop going

2. Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo: i need immediate assistance trying to get my my ethernet cable to work on my computer it doesnt connect at all and i have XTREME mediacom high speed internet. i tried uninstalling and re installing the drivers and it isnt working. any forward knowledge on troubleshooting...
  3. Use modem/router combo as router only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use modem/router combo as router only: I purchased an Arris SURFboard SBG6700-AC (modem/wifi combo) several years ago. I moved to another city with a different ISP. The cable guy could not get this to communicate with his cable system. There is an 80-year-old woman (neighbor) who has internet but no wifi. I bought...
  4. Speed drop

Speed drop: I need help in a very strange situation. I subscribe to Turbobit and Nitroflare. I also use Free Download Manager. When I start a download via Turbobit, after about 5 minutes the download drops too much, less than 1% of my connection. My download rate is 100 Mbits / s (12...
  5. Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router

Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router: I am thinking of converting to NBN service in Australia. However, my setup at the moment is single box ADSL modem with a switching router, which I connect my equipment to its LAN ports. With the new NBN standalone modem, how do I connect to the existing switch router...
  6. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  7. Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps

Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps: Hi, I have an Arris Surfboard cable modem SB6141, when I connect PC using ethernet cable directly to modem I get 50-60mps download speeds. When a router is between the modem and my PC the download speed drops to 6-8mps.. I have confirmed this issue with two different...
  8. What kind of router do I get for maxium wired speed?

What kind of router do I get for maxium wired speed?: So if i connect my PCs ethernet cable directly to my modem I get about 300mb download. If I connect my modems ethertnet cable to my router (old router) and then my PC ethernet cable connecting to my router. I get about 70mb download. I know my router is outdated and old...
  9. Nightly reset for modem and router.

Nightly reset for modem and router.: Is it ok to do nightly resets on my router and modem? Im making "network closet" which will hold my Nighthawk x6 and surfboard modem. I never thought about resetting them on a nightly basic tell now. this way i can flush them fresh every morning. or is this pointless? 89858
  10. Problems with Motorola MG7310 modem/router

Problems with Motorola MG7310 modem/router: Good evening. This may be a simple problem, but I'm not good at troubleshooting by text *Smile My friend was looking for a net modem so I suggested she get the Motorola MG7310 modem/router combo. She originally had a Time Warner modem. She is currently on the 30Mb...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how much network speed drop should I see from wired to wireless