Windows 10: Speed up USB3 File Transfer

Discus and support Speed up USB3 File Transfer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was copying some large Hyper-V vhds to an external ssd from an internal ssd via usb3, and I was getting a sedate 130 MBS even through the ssds can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cereberus, Aug 27, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

Speed up USB3 File Transfer

I was copying some large Hyper-V vhds to an external ssd from an internal ssd via usb3, and I was getting a sedate 130 MBS even through the ssds can handle close to 500 MB/S and USB3 can handle up to 480 MB/s.

Of course, we all know that in the real world, you are lucky if you get 50% of that - so 240 MB/s is a reasonable target.

After googling, I found a truly simple change that sped my transfer up by 50% to 200 MB/s.

I simply changed the SDD write cache properties as below from device manager.

Only minor downside is you must eject the drive to safely remove it (should do this anyway).

Speed up USB3 File Transfer [​IMG]

:)

cereberus, Aug 27, 2018
  2. VodaFone2 Win User

USB3 device disconnecting when transferring files.

Hello!

I've recently built a new PC and everything is working fine, well almost everything. There are 4 USB ports on the case front panel. Two of them are USB2 and the other two are USB3. My problem lies with the
    USB3 ports. Neither of them work when using a USB3 capable stick. File transfers fail within seconds, then you hear the usb stick disconnecting and reconnecting.

I can use a USB2 stick in both of the troublesome ports and files copy perfectly fine (at 20mb/s). The USB3 sticks work perfectly fine on on the USB2 ports and even the USB3 port directly on the motherboard
    (at ~57mb/s). The problem occurs only on the front panel USB3 ports when copying at USB3 speeds (~57mb/s).

So far I have tried:

• Updating BIOS
    • Updating USB drivers
    • Updating Windows 10 to latest version
    • Disabling power saving for USB devices in device manager
    • Remove and reconnect USB3 cable on motherboard
    • Verify if the issue is not the HDD that I am copying from
    The motherboard and case in question are:

• Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
    • NZXT Source 340 Elite
    I am looking for any help or tips regarding this issue as my google skills are failing me.

VodaFone2, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Slow data transfer speed.

Hi,

One of the possible reason that this issue occurs is due to the driver compatibility after Windows upgrade. For us to isolate the issue, we’ll need the following details:

• What type of data transfer speed are you referring to? Is it internet connection speed or file transfer speed?
    • If you are referring to file transfer speed, are you using USB drive or Bluetooth to process file transfer? or,
    • If you are referring to internet connection speed, are you using Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi?
    • Can you tell us any troubleshooting you've done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Efraim Gar, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Speed up USB3 File Transfer

Windows 10 file transfer

You write "the file transfer speed drops to zero", yet the xcopy command does not provide you with any feedback about speed or progress. I suggest you do this to drill down a bit further:

• Examine the event logger (as mentioned before)
    • Use robocopy instead of xcopy:

robocopy F:\ D:\ /s
    • Repeat the copy process on a different machine

Frederik Long, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Speed up USB3 File Transfer

1. Speed up USB3 File Transfer - Similar Threads - Speed USB3 File

2. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  3. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  4. File transfer speed decreases after a while

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File transfer speed decreases after a while: When i try to copy a large file like over 10GB on my laptop or move a file between partitions of itself, transferring starts with 200MB/s but after copying about 5GB of file the speed suddenly reduces to 8MB/s or even less. i tried installing windows7 and then windows8 but i...
  5. since upgrade win10H2 usb3 transfer speeds cut +75%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    since upgrade win10H2 usb3 transfer speeds cut +75%: was running win10 2004, then upgraded to H2. Now Macrium Reflect that was pushing over 500megs over my usb3 port is pushing 56megs for backups. . I have gone into the external USB drive and enabled disk write caching with zero speed increased. This is a seagate 5gig expansion...
  6. transfer speeds ,copying files extremely difficult

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer speeds ,copying files extremely difficult: transfer speed to 3.0 usb from explorer file in pc extremely slow,worst i ever seen.all day to transfer one iso file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/transfer-speeds-copying-files-extremely-difficult/aa059424-ac32-4844-954c-3c4b07cdc991
  7. USB3 external HDD speeds what are you getting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB3 external HDD speeds what are you getting: Hi folks what sort of HDD speeds should you guys be getting say copying files from external USB3 HDD to an internal spinner (not SSD). (Cheap 5400 RPM drives -- not "Black" or super fast SCSI ones and no RAID in operation). Same File system on both HDD's (EXT4 in...
  8. slow transfer using USB3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    slow transfer using USB3: Hi as the title says I cant seem to get what used to be hi speed data transfers on my 2 win 10 devices, a custom build PC and a surface pro 3. Prior to the update I would see a transfer speed of at least 100-148mb now I'm lucky to see 60mb. Hopefully someone has an idea as...
  9. Increase transfer speed of windows file transfer (SMB)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increase transfer speed of windows file transfer (SMB): I have setup a shared drive so I can access my files with my Android devices but the transfer speed is very slow around 500 KB - 1.5 MB per second. My QNAP NAS that also using SMB is transfering very fast up to 12 MB/s. Can i increase transfer speed of SMB? 97787
  10. File Transfer Speed Extremely Low

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Transfer Speed Extremely Low: Hi. I was trying to copy a 2gb file over to another folder, and the transfer speed dropped down to kilobytes or even bytes per second. Sometimes, however, it wildly fluctuates all over the place - from 4KB/s to 50MB/s. How can I fix this? Thanks. 76291

Users found this page by searching for:

1. speed of usb3 in mb per seconds