Windows 10: Speed writing to the SSD continually fluctuates ...

Discus and support Speed writing to the SSD continually fluctuates ... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 with an 512GB Solid State Drive SATA III. The SSD is ~ 85% empty. I have a camera streaming images, via USB3, which are buffered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TJS3779, Jan 7, 2021.

1. TJS3779 Win User

Speed writing to the SSD continually fluctuates ...

I am using Windows 10 with an 512GB Solid State Drive SATA III. The SSD is ~ 85% empty. I have a camera streaming images, via USB3, which are buffered in RAM and then saved to the SSD in an AVI file. My problem is that, while monitoring the usage of the SSD in the Task Manager, that the write speed to the SSD can fluctuate between 200 MB/sec and 10 MB/sec even though the % usage is ~ 100%. When the write speed is low the RAM fills up with images and the total number of images that I can acquire in a given time is greatly reduced. Unfortunately, the write speed spends much more time at ~ 10 MB/sec than it does at 200 MB/sec. The problem does not appear to be a limitation of the write speed of the SSD but how the OS is allocating the SSD. Is there a way improve the overall SSD write speed for my application? Thanks. TJS

:)

TJS3779, Jan 7, 2021
  2. Surya91 Win User

USB 3.0 Write speed fluctuates 0Kbps to 8Mbps

@sygnus21, Thank you very much for your input.

Iam using Transcend 32GB usb 3.0 pendrive. Ive connected it to USB 3.0 port on my MOBO directly, For some reason the read speeds are good but when I try to copy any files to my pendrive, the speed drastically fluctuates. In the mean time, I tried using a USB 2.0 pendrive on a USB 3 port on my mother board (Just to verify if it's a port issue) but it worked just fine.

So far what I've figured out is that all USB 3.0 devices has this speed fluctuation problem while I try to write into it.

Can this be a hardware issue ? If yes, I can get the mother board (MSI gaming 5) replaced since it's still under warranty.

Surya91, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Slow SSD Write Speed

Slow SSD Write Speed
    Windows 10 build 1909

Recently I have installed 480 GB AS340 PANTHER SATA III SSD. I was getting good Read and write speed well above 500 MB/s Read, and 300 MB/s write. But it's been one week now I am getting my writing speed throttled in a midway. From stable 250 MB/s for
    3-4 write to 10 MB/s.
    I also attached a video demonstrating this problem.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YsgAV-WP3Chbt2dw53BiPrBG96Mzp0QG

FYI I have Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller installed.

RokibulHasan, Jan 7, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Speed writing to the SSD continually fluctuates ... - Similar Threads - Speed writing SSD

2. Good upload speed but still fluctuating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Good upload speed but still fluctuating?: Hello, I've been having trouble with my internet stuff; everytime I try to stream to Twitch, my upload speed tending to trifle down every 15 minutes or so. I have no clue what it is, but my ISP says that both ends are fine and the internet speed test shows good speed, so it's...
  3. Good upload speed but still fluctuating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Good upload speed but still fluctuating?: Hello, I've been having trouble with my internet stuff; everytime I try to stream to Twitch, my upload speed tending to trifle down every 15 minutes or so. I have no clue what it is, but my ISP says that both ends are fine and the internet speed test shows good speed, so it's...
  4. Good upload speed but still fluctuating?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. nvme ssd gets very slow write speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    nvme ssd gets very slow write speed: i got 20000 mb of write speed at first but now only 300 mb.samsung 980 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvme-ssd-gets-very-slow-write-speed/de913a0a-916c-4448-b5d4-e52adedbaaaf
  6. Slow SSD Write Speed

Slow SSD Write Speed: Slow SSD Write Speed Windows 10 build 1909 Recently I have installed 480 GB AS340 PANTHER SATA III SSD. I was getting good Read and write speed well above 500 MB/s Read, and 300 MB/s write. But it's been one week now I am getting my writing speed throttled in a midway. From...
  7. Facing Issues with write speeds on SSD

Facing Issues with write speeds on SSD: Hello Recently I benchmarked my ssd and saw that i have a pretty low write speed considering the speeds I used to get previously. Even Samsung SSD Software reports the same. What could be the issue here? SSD is a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB [img] 135893
  8. Read and write speed

Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  9. Slow write speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow write speed: Hi, best wishes for 2019! I've noticed lately that my writing speed is quite low. I mean when I copy/paste a large file from one disk to another, or from one disk to an USB external HDD. Things I tried already: - Disk Cleanup - Ccleaner - DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image...
  10. USB 3.0 Write speed fluctuates 0Kbps to 8Mbps

USB 3.0 Write speed fluctuates 0Kbps to 8Mbps: I can transfer files from My USB 3.0 devices to my system just fine with maximum speed. But when I try to copy something to my USB 3.0 Device, the write speed fluctuates very badly from 0Kbps to 10Mbps. I've tried all online solutions (Driver update, Bios Update,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SSD write speed varies depending on PC