Windows 10: Speedtest.net and edge show wrong location

Discus and support Speedtest.net and edge show wrong location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I noticed over the weekend when I go to speedtest.net it shows the wrong location. I live on the east outskirts of London yet it thinks my nearest test... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scottyboy99, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Speedtest.net and edge show wrong location

I noticed over the weekend when I go to speedtest.net it shows the wrong location. I live on the east outskirts of London yet it thinks my nearest test server is Aberdeen / Edinburgh. If I go to edge, the home/start page which can be customised shows weather for Edinburgh! I have manually customised for London to fix this rather than let it auto detect. But it's weird. If I open the maps app it shows me on the map in the correct location!

its worth noting that I am seeing the same problem on my iMac when I go to speedtest.net so it's not a Windows problem but it's still left me scratching my head and also wondering why the maps apps on both machines get the location correct. Both connect via Ethernet.

on my iPad and iPhone which use wifi, launching the speedtest app gives the correct location/nearest server

:)

Scottyboy99, Oct 1, 2016

2. anyone having very slow internet after windows 10 upgrade?

Try turning off locations services. I did this, and it solved the problem. With location services on, speedtest.net showed 1 MB/s down. With location service off, it was 25 MB/s down. Upload speeds improved similarly. This apparently is a fairly
    common experience. Hopefully, Microsoft will figure out and solve the bug.

JamesMichaels, Oct 1, 2016
  3. Paul Jay Win User
    Cortana is showing the wrong location. If you go to Google maps and check the location, it will show the precise location. Your info on how to change Cortana to show my precise location is wrong. Can Cortana fix location feature of Microsoft to improve
    it for everyone?

I tried to change my location according to Cortana and it doesn't change anything.

Is Cortana unable to learn from mistakes. Cortana shows my Location approximately 35 miles from where i live. Can Cortana change that to show the right location?

Moved from: Microsoft Edge / All other issues / Windows 10

Paul Jay, Oct 1, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

Speedtest.net and edge show wrong location

I'd heard that speed test will find the server nearest where your internet provider's address is, I have to manually choose Manchester as that's the closest to me but automatically it can choose Maidenhead or elsewhere other than where I am.

Bastet, Oct 1, 2016
  5. Ok thank you. Yeah Maidenhead is quite a distance off! But Edinburgh to London seems a huge difference. I did note my external IP changed on Friday (as it does from time to time with BT as you don't get a static one). This is probably key to the change. Guess can lay the blame squarely at BT. Seems strange though that the maps app on both machines pick up my correct location!

Scottyboy99, Oct 1, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It is most likely because of that group of IP's that BT assigns is out of that particular Central Office/ATM. ATT for the longest time was having all IP's assigned to both the Texas head quarters address and where the U-Verse tv facilities are in Kansas City. After a while you will start seeing the location change to the area that the group is assigned to.

Also your phone is using Location from GPS and Wifi triangulation. That is then sent off to the Speedtest app.

bro67, Oct 2, 2016
  7. Thank you. I hope the location changes soon. It seems ridiculous that speedtest.net and edge homepage weather thinks I'm in Scotland. In terms of the U.K. my actual location towards the south/London is so far apart!

Scottyboy99, Oct 2, 2016
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Methods of locating the physical location of an IP address are prone to error. One service showed my location off by some 1500 KM, and in the wrong country. I have heard of worse.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Speedtest.net and edge show wrong location - Similar Threads - Speedtest net edge

2. my pc location is showing the wrong location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my pc location is showing the wrong location: my pc has decided that my computer is in a different city from where I am. How do I get it to recognize my location. I have already gone into settings and the default location is set correctly. However, when I go to other sites, it thinks I'm somewhere else....
  3. my pc location is showing the wrong location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my pc location is showing the wrong location: my pc has decided that my computer is in a different city from where I am. How do I get it to recognize my location. I have already gone into settings and the default location is set correctly. However, when I go to other sites, it thinks I'm somewhere else....
  4. my pc location is showing the wrong location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Device Showing Wrong Location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Device Showing Wrong Location: I have two Windows 10 PC's, a desktop on ethernet and a laptop on WiFi. I noticed in my Microsoft account devices, occasionally the laptop shows it is in Nashville Tennessee while I am in Arizona? If I toggle find my device if comes back to Arizona. Also, if I change my Wifi...
  6. Weather showing wrong location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weather showing wrong location: Hello, I have the latest version of the Microsoft weather app on windows 10 and the location is showing the wrong location when set to detect my location. location is enabled in-app settings, privacy settings, and the icon that shows location is being used on the taskbar is...
  7. Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location: Location accuracy can do a lot in today’s times. In a browser, it would mean customized search results, personalized recommendations, etc. If Microsoft Edge on your PC is detecting a wrong geographical location, this guide will help you. There are many pros and cons that...
  8. Windows showing wrong location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows showing wrong location: I live in Savannah, GA. But since a few weeks ago, my location has been shown as Napa, CA. I'm using Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro. macOS on the same machine shows the correct location. Apple Find My App shows the correct location. Cortana, Bing.com in Edge, Google Earth...
  9. showing wrong location of my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    showing wrong location of my desktop: my desktop is showing wrong location. how can i correct this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/showing-wrong-location-of-my-desktop/4d8f6cf4-25da-45e2-a8a2-38735a5a33e0
  10. Devices Show Wrong Location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Devices Show Wrong Location: I have two laptops and two desktops. ALL devices consistently show the wrong address. It is an old address/location from when I first created a Microsoft account SEVERAL years ago. I've gone through my account multiple times making sure the correct location is listed. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. edge wrong location