Windows 10: Spell check won't turn off

Discus and support Spell check won't turn off in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I use certain programs (such as Evernote and WhatsApp Web) that don't have their own spell check feature but instead use Windows' spell check, any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/blakexsays, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Spell check won't turn off

When I use certain programs (such as Evernote and WhatsApp Web) that don't have their own spell check feature but instead use Windows' spell check, any (perceived to be) misspelled words are highlighted with the well known red squiggly line. It's annoying as very often the things that are highlighted aren't actually incorrect, so I want to turn it off. However, when I go to Windows settings -> devices -> typing and check "highlight misspelled words" it's already set to off. I tried switching it on and back off again but it doesn't change anything. Turning my laptop off and back on again doesn't do anything either.

How do I turn this off properly? The only solutions I can find on Google refer me to the setting I mentioned above which doesn't seem to work. Apologies is this is not the right place to post this.

submitted by /u/blakexsays
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/blakexsays, Oct 27, 2020

2. Spell Check Not Working ?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Share this information to assist you better.

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Is the issue particular to Mail app?
    • Have you installed all pending updates?
    From your issue description I understand that you need to turn on the Spell check feature in windows mail app.
    Follow the steps below to Turn on the spell check in Settings.

1. Type Settings.

2. Click on Device.

3. Select typing.

4. Turn ON autocorrect misspelled word.

5. Turn ON highlight misspelled word.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Cliff S Win User
    Spartan/Edge.. turning on spell check??

Spell check won't turn off [​IMG]

And spell with 3 L's auto corrected for me, most words do, which is a pain when I write German, or a mix of both English & German.
    For a list, go to the right of the word, right click, and swipe left.

Cliff S, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Spell check won't turn off

Windows 10 spell check menu position

Dictionary file corruption is one of the possible reasons you're having challenges with spell checker. To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you clear Spell Checking Dictionary on your computer. Follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer, type %AppData%\Microsoft\Spelling into the address bar, and press
      Enter.
    • Open the folder for a language you want to customize (ex: en-US).
    • You can now clear the dic file.
    • When done, hit File in Notepad, click Save.
    After performing the steps above, let us know the results.

Dyan Rey, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Spell check won't turn off

1. Spell check won't turn off - Similar Threads - Spell check won't

2. Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words: Spell-Check is turned off in Windows settings, but still highlighting words with a red squiggly underline in my Proton Mail desktop app which doesn't have an in-built spell-checker. This doesn't happen in any other apps, including Word, WordPad and NotePad....
  3. Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words: Spell-Check is turned off in Windows settings, but still highlighting words with a red squiggly underline in my Proton Mail desktop app which doesn't have an in-built spell-checker. This doesn't happen in any other apps, including Word, WordPad and NotePad....
  4. spell check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    spell check: When typing and I misspell a word and I right click on it to get the correct spelling it has stopped showing me choices. It has always given me several words to choose from and then pops them in when I make a choice. How do I get this feature back again?...
  5. Spell check won't turn off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spell check won't turn off: When I use certain programs such as Evernote and WhatsApp Web that don't have their own spell check feature but instead use Windows' spell check, any perceived to be misspelled words are highlighted with the well known red squiggly line. It's annoying as very often the things...
  6. Can't turn off spell check

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't turn off spell check: I've noticed that in programs such as Steam or things I use for modding games, that a spell check is active. It uses my native language Dutch. No matter what I do, I can't turn this off. It makes things hard to read, when almost every word has a red line under it. I went to...
  7. Spell Check

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Spell Check: Is spell check available in Word Pad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/268af303-8218-4222-8446-e3887d89bf55"
  8. spell check OFF!

in Browsers and Email
    spell check OFF!: settings > devices > typing > spelling "highlight mispelled words" set to OFF, but still working on Microsoft Edge. How to solve this? 10997
  9. Spartan/Edge.. turning on spell check??

in Browsers and Email
    Spartan/Edge.. turning on spell check??: For some reason.. I can't find out how to turn that feature on in the latest build(10130).. any advice on how to turn spell check for Spartan/Edge would be nice.*Huh TIA 6929
  10. Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Spelling Autocorrect and Highlight Misspelled Words in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes a spell checking feature for when you type words anywhere in Windows 10. When autocorrect misspelled words...