Windows 10: Spikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation

Discus and support Spikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This problem is apparently very common, but no solution I've found over the past several days has worked. This past week I put together a new PC and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Hufsahh, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Hufsahh Win User

Spikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation

This problem is apparently very common, but no solution I've found over the past several days has worked.

This past week I put together a new PC and installed Windows 10 on a Kingston A400 SSD. During normal use, I found that the disk usage reported in Task manager (seemingly) randomly increased to 100%, stayed there for 5-50 seconds, then dropped down to 0-1% again. This causes any process running to freeze completely, only to be continued when the disk usage goes down.

The obvious next step: What process is using the disk? None. No process, neither in Task manager nor Resource monitor, is using the disk to anywhere near its full capacity during these spikes. Also, read/write speeds are reported as 0 MB/s during the spikes, see image below.

The next obivous step: Find a solution on google. Haven't had any luck here, and I've found a lot of solutions. Disabling Superfetch (which does not exist on my system?), prefetch, Windows search, file indexing on the drive, Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode (supposedly not relevant since my disk doesn't use the StorAHCI.sys driver), etc. There are a lot of solutions on the internet. I've probably tried all of them at this point. Please hit me up with one I haven't tried yet, if you know of one.

Other relevant info: There are no events in the system event log that appear to be at all relevant. No disk controller reset events or anything. I've tried updating and rolling back drivers, uninstalling programs, re-installing Windows. The SSD has got no firmware update available.

Currently the system has a completely clean installation of Windows (through a bootable USB), with no third-party drivers installed. Not even the motherboard's LAN driver is installed, so I'm sure Windows hasn't sneakily installed any drivers from the internet. The problem still exists. There's probably more I should mention, but it's getting hard to keep track of everything I've tried.

System info:

ASUS Prime Z390-a mobo

i5 9600K (not OC'd)

ASUS Dual GTX 1070 (in case that would be at all relevant)

Kingston A400 480 GB SSD

At this point I just want it to be a hardware issue, so I can send it back and get a new one, that works.

I would be extremely grateful for any sort of guidance, thanks

Spikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation 0ac96e41-3385-4c89-aa2d-56ecf52d7278?upload=true.png

EDIT:

More relevant info: the disk is healthy according to Windows disk error checking and Kingston's own software. System memory is also healthy according to Window's Memory diagnostic.

:)

Hufsahh, Dec 2, 2018
  2. novanilla Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 - Disk 0 Usage 100

I agree. This entire thread has appeared unproductive as this issue continues. The one point perhaps that has not been discussed appears to be that even though the disk 0 usage is at 100% the processes running never add up to 100percent. for example at 24%
    usage there are 10 processes listed as using 0.1 mb/sec which totals 1MB /sec. from that one could assume that at 100% the processes may total 4MB/sec but I routinely see the system process spike upwards of 25Mb/sec and after any usage climbs over 7mb/sec
    the disk 0 reads at 100%. also the running processes are never the same. there is no one process which creates the issue.

A better solution would be for Microsoft to explain the point and purpose of the disk usage, and how it is reported. it is reported at the top as a percentage and in the row as a transfer speed. (mb/s).

The question is what is up with that specifically, how do I determine the max transfer speed of disc 0, and at what point will system performance slow to an unacceptable user level? when it does what are the steps to take to identify and resolve the issue?

novanilla, Dec 2, 2018
  3. 1Dez Win User
    100% Disk usage spike on Windows 10

Recently I have experienced that when running most applications (especially gaming) my Laptop would have a disk usage spike to 99% or 100%. when I check the task manager there is no specific program using the disk, its just at 100% usually forcing me to
    do a hard restart. baring in mind that when I run the programs the usually run smoothly and very randomly the disk usage spikes. this has only been happening since downloading windows 10. I have read many threads and applied many fixes such as disabling SuperFetch,
    BIT service and windows update. I have also disable cloud based protection which seemed to work for some people but not for me, any other suggestions?

1Dez, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Spikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation

Windows 10 - Active Time 100% - Read Speed 0 KB/s - Write Speed 0 KB/s - for exactly 60 seconds

I have recently conducted a fresh reinstall of Microsoft Windows 10 Home - none of my hardware has changed.

I am getting sporadic freeze-ups of the operating system. These freeze-ups appear to last for exactly 60 seconds.

I have attempted to diagnose the issue using Task Manager- under the
    Performance tab I can see the freezes coincide with Disk 0 (CSpikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation :) hitting 100% active time - for exactly 60 seconds (I can see this because the graph is '60 seconds across').

The Active Time is 100 %, the Average Response Time is 0 ms, the
    Read Speed is 0 KB/s, and the Write Speed is 0 KB/s.

What I have tried so far:

• Disabling the Page file for C:.
    • Running System File Checker /SFC with administrative privileges.
    • Running Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool (DISM)
    • Disabling several services: Windows Search and Superfetch.
    • Checked SMART status of SSD using Kingston SSD Toolbox.
    • Updated Windows using Windows Update.
    • Run Windows Troubleshooter - System Maintenance.

What do people recommend my next steps should be?

SuperCrazyJoel, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Spikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation

1. Spikes of 100% disk usage, 0 read/write speed on a new SSD and clean Windows 10 installation - Similar Threads - Spikes 100% disk

2. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  3. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  4. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Disk 100% usage with no read or write.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 100% usage with no read or write.: I got an error task amanger indicating that disk 100% usage with no read or wrtie.I tried clean boot, reset virtual memory, update windows 11 to the newest update, sfc, dism, memory check, and disk repair. It still does not work well. It start the error when heavy load occurs...
  6. Spikes of 100% usage despite 0 read/write on a usb 3.1 external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spikes of 100% usage despite 0 read/write on a usb 3.1 external SSD: Hello, For a while I've been experiencing an issue with my external Sandisk 2TB SSD that causes it to spike to 100% usage for several seconds seemingly at random when I access a file, this will often cause freezes and crashes. I am positive it is not the SSD that is at fault...
  7. Spikes of 100% usage despite 0 read/write on a usb 3.1 external SSD

Spikes of 100% usage despite 0 read/write on a usb 3.1 external SSD: Hello, For a while I've been experiencing an issue with my external Sandisk 2TB SSD that causes it to spike to 100% usage for several seconds seemingly at random when I access a file, this will often cause freezes and crashes. I am positive it is not the SSD that is at fault...
  8. Spikes of 100% usage despite 0 read/write on a usb 3.1 external SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...
  10. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd works for 10 minutes then spikes to 100%